Goods from USA!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

penny sue

Registered Shopper
Check out what the goods coming from the USA cost there. Are we being ripped off. Example - Gypsy from Wallmart USA is $207.54 (approximately £140) Why are we paying over £300. No way can shipping costs be to blame - probably come direct from China anyway

I go to US to see family and buy craft products there and pay up to 50% less

QVC do the same with products from USA

Partly as we have to but the product in £'s and they are worth less against $'s at the moment. Also we have 17.5% VAT to add on. As well as being a smaller country to a compnay buys less of a product as they sell less than they can in a country the size of the US.

goods from usa

I accept that 17.5% VAT has to be paid - however this does not account for the difference. Even when we were getting $1.95 (Tourist Rate) the goods were still at this price - why have they not gone up with the £ going down against the $ - they also must be purchased by the thousands in containers.

I will also accept that our overheads (wages etc.) are higher in the UK than the USA but I just think that to often the $ sign is changed to a £ sign rather that the maths being done.

I go over to the states and I totally agree with you and I have been saying this for years, but it doesn't make any difference because we are so use to being ripped off in the uk that we just pay up. Retailers would probably say there is less demand in the uk than in the US, but perhaps more are sold in the US because the prices are lower?
Yes the $ sign is just replaces with a £.

Goods from USA

Thanks - I am glad it is not just me that thinks we are being ripped off. I am in the States at the moment, brought things over for my Daughter (Marmite etc!) So have loads of room in suitcase to bring back crafting goodies, just have to watch the weight

Latest posts

Back