Stereotypes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

C

Ciociaria

Guest Shopper
Looking at another thread, I see that JR offended Irish people recently. Well, I'm half-Italian and I'm sick of the Italian stereotype constantly portrayed on QVC. This is particularly bad on jewellery shows. The carp that they spout about Italian craftsmanship, stylish women, etc, etc, DRIVES ME NUTS!! But my absolute pet hate is when JR tries to pronounce something in Italian or trots out some phrase - she usually makes a mess of it but she seems to think she has done well. In fact, it's really only JR that annoys me in this respect. (Surprising that!) Anyone else notice this?

Looking at another thread, I see that JR offended Irish people recently. Well, I'm half-Italian and I'm sick of the Italian stereotype constantly portrayed on QVC. This is particularly bad on jewellery shows. The carp that they spout about Italian craftsmanship, stylish women, etc, etc, DRIVES ME NUTS!! But my absolute pet hate is when JR tries to pronounce something in Italian or trots out some phrase - she usually makes a mess of it but she seems to think she has done well. In fact, it's really only JR that annoys me in this respect. (Surprising that!) Anyone else notice this?

Hmmm? I dunno if I can jump on board your Outrage Express,if I'd ever heard anyone on QVC saying,they are a bunch pasta eating,hairy,mafioso,then I could understand. I've never heard anything but complimentary things about Italians on QVC.

But to honest,I've been to a fair few countries in Europe and it is MY opinion that Italian's are the best dressed people in the whole continent and the craftsmanship is second to none,as for Julia's pronounciation............well all I can say is "Marone!"

Can't honestly say I noticed this on QVC, not into kitchen or jewellery very much but I am truly fed up with the idiotic Dolmio puppets (you gave us puppetry and this is how we repay you), that ridiculous go compare ad but have loved some ads backed with classical Italian music. I'm afraid being associated with beauty and style is a burden you may have to bear.
Btw there is a lovely poster on this board from Sicily.

Can I just say that every other thread seems to be about JR and members of her family. What is the obsession with her. This thread is complaining about her pronunciation. She is only a presenter . It seems she only has to breathe and she offends someone.

I do agree. Half an hour in Rome, and you realise that not every Italian woman is dripping with gold chains and dressed like Sophia Loren. But they'd never sell as much Veronese and Murano if they admitted the truth, would they?

The other day, CH kept pronouncing 'Murano' as if she were auditioning for a voiceover. Even Francesca started to droop.

Can I just say that every other thread seems to be about JR and members of her family. What is the obsession with her. This thread is complaining about her pronunciation. She is only a presenter . It seems she only has to breathe and she offends someone.

Yep,pretty much.

Now,if she engaged brain before breathing,then speaking,it wouldn't be a problem.

Further to the OP's thread title,I've never been to any of the major cities in Italy,the place I went to is called Piacenza,somewhere up North,anyway what struck me, on day one, was how these people were turned out,just to go to the supermarket,it wasn't about dripping in 18ct gold and carrying Fendi bags,there was just something about the cut of the clothes,the way make-up was applied etc,etc,little things which added up to a whole lot.

So I thought"If this is how they looked up here,god knows what they must look like in Rome".

Perhaps people who have been there can shed some light??

Anyway,in summary,I think often times stereotypes are based in kernel of fact.

It was my experience that these people looked extraordinary and these images have never left my mind.

I've been to all parts of France and the French are often lauded for their style,je ne sais quoi,etc,however,noone in France is a patch on any of the people I saw in Italy that one time.

Whenever I've been to the main cities in Italy I have always been struck, and have always commented on, how good looking and well dressed all the Italians seem. In Florence even the bus drivers looked as though they could pose in a fashion magazine. :heart:

My goodness I've seen some beautiful (and beautifully dressed) men in Italy. Can't say I noticed the women. :giggle: Even the policemen are rather distracting in their perfectly tailored uniforms. *sigh*

Whenever I've been to the main cities in Italy I have always been struck, and have always commented on, how good looking and well dressed all the Italians seem. In Florence even the bus drivers looked as though they could pose in a fashion magazine. :heart:

I agree! I was recently in Sorrento & the coach driver who picked us up from Nalpes airport was drop dead gorgeous - as soon as I saw him knew the holiday would be a good one!!!

I have also been to Rome, and in my experience of the two locations (not sure if this is a stereotype and I'm sorry if anyone finds it to be one) I think most Italians ( male and female) are very good looking, well groomed and well dressed - also lovely people, genuinely friendly, welcoming and helpful.

I also LOVE the uniforms the police wear, especially in Rome - incredibly smart and well cut, wonder if they are 'designer'???

My goodness I've seen some beautiful (and beautifully dressed) men in Italy. Can't say I noticed the women. :giggle: Even the policemen are rather distracting in their perfectly tailored uniforms. *sigh*

I agree! I was recently in Sorrento & the coach driver who picked us up from Nalpes airport was drop dead gorgeous - as soon as I saw him knew the holiday would be a good one!!!

I have also been to Rome, and in my experience of the two locations (not sure if this is a stereotype and I'm sorry if anyone finds it to be one) I think most Italians ( male and female) are very good looking, well groomed and well dressed - also lovely people, genuinely friendly, welcoming and helpful.

I also LOVE the uniforms the police wear, especially in Rome - incredibly smart and well cut, wonder if they are 'designer'???

See????

The state rests.

I think their uniforms were designed by Armani. :coo2l:

Oh dear, I hope all these posts haven't infuriated Ciociaria even more. She might have a tantrum - well we all know about the Italian temperament! :giggle:

Sorry.

Can't honestly say I noticed this on QVC, not into kitchen or jewellery very much but I am truly fed up with the idiotic Dolmio puppets (you gave us puppetry and this is how we repay you), that ridiculous go compare ad but have loved some ads backed with classical Italian music. I'm afraid being associated with beauty and style is a burden you may have to bear.
Btw there is a lovely poster on this board from Sicily.

Yes, where is silly sausage lately?? Haven't heard from her for a while. :heart:

I find those ads awful too, as was the bliddy cornetto one years ago.

I have lived in Italy for years and it is true, Italians generally take care of themselves and like to look good. We are starting to see some blobby looking teenagers here though. Too much crappy confectionary.

I don't find the reference to craftmanship/style etc. offensive but it does make me cringe a bit when people try to emulate an Italian accent and overdo it!! Mind you, it sounds worse when people don't try at all.

but I am truly fed up with the idiotic Dolmio puppets (you gave us puppetry and this is how we repay you), that ridiculous go compare ad but have loved some ads backed with classical Italian music.

You mean this one?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Euh9zWmASN4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Euh9zWmASN4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I have to agree, I've been to Verona three times and also visited Milan and Bergamo and Venice twice, and find the Italians immaculatly turned out, particularly in verona where 90 year old women come out at night in their fur coats, designer sunglasses and jewels for a coffee! Round my way they would be mugged! (although you all know my opinions on fur :().

Further to the OP's thread title,I've never been to any of the major cities in Italy,the place I went to is called Piacenza,somewhere up North,anyway what struck me, on day one, was how these people were turned out,just to go to the supermarket,it wasn't about dripping in 18ct gold and carrying Fendi bags,there was just something about the cut of the clothes,the way make-up was applied etc,etc,little things which added up to a whole lot.

So I thought"If this is how they looked up here,god knows what they must look like in Rome".

Perhaps people who have been there can shed some light??

Anyway,in summary,I think often times stereotypes are based in kernel of fact.

It was my experience that these people looked extraordinary and these images have never left my mind.

I've been to all parts of France and the French are often lauded for their style,je ne sais quoi,etc,however,noone in France is a patch on any of the people I saw in Italy that one time.
I like going to Italy in the summertime because as I am not a shorts and flip flop person, I don't feel out of place wearing pretty long skirts and long dresses during the day. The Italians do seem to dress nicely all day in the hot weather even when they are walking along the prom.

I love Italy, I love the beautiful countryside, the food and the people (can you tell I'm a fan?) and think they are the best looking nation in Europe. There are exceptions, of course, but they generally look so much smarter than we do and really do appear to make an effort. They design and sell beautiful clothes, shoes, handbags and jewellery and I love to go windowshopping when I'm there.
My apologies if I've offended anybody.

Latest posts

Back