Prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Klosblue

Costs nothing to be nice!
Like many others, I have noticed the sharp increase in prices on Gems TV. I was channel hopping today before going to work and saw a lovely Apatite ring on TJC. I decided to have a look at what Gems had to offer and found a perfect example of their higher prices.

See what you think:-

TJC - Sold for £65 - 2.80 gms yellow gold, 2 carat Madagascar Apatite, 0.06 carats diamonds.
http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/ViewItemDetail.aspx?ItemCode=501010

Gems TV - Price £79 - 2.06 gms yellow gold, 0.640 carat Madagascar Apatite, 0.054 carats diamonds
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=125816&preweb=true&colourScheme=2

I know which one I'd have!!

Gems seem to have lost their mojo.

Prices are up which is perhaps understandable to a degree and they are still cheaper than the high st,but as for feeling that you are getting a real bargain..........I'm not so sure.

The timed games business has taken any excitement out of the games also,even the presenters don't get as enthusiastic as they know it will end in 3 minutes,rather like an unsatisfactory romp in the sack!

It all seems so flat.:(

I was watching at the weekend and saw simple gold amethyst rings being offered at £69-ish. This is at least double what I would have expected - I know gold has gone up, but this is not the right time to be multiplying your prices. Things are tight enough, and a little luxury seems to have become a "considered purchase". Coupled with the timed games I don't see any hope I'll be a customer again any time soon. (Besides, Rocks have all my money!!!)

I saw that too Anne, and commented to OH that time was that ring would have been in the £29-39 range.
:doggie:

The prices in the new web shop are way above those in the games (TV or web). I can't see the point of this - doesn't it just put people off? Is anyone actually buying anything from the web shop? Or is it just a ploy to convince the punters that items bought in games are an even bigger bargain?

If you see an item you like in the web shop, I would recommend phoning PS. If the item has been aired, you will almost certainly get a better price (and I have experience of this).

Klos you are spot on as usual. Some of the prices are ridiculous, what happened to high turnover low prices. What's even more annoying is when you do a comparison with the U.S website. Some of the identical silver prices are the same in dollars as they are in pounds here in there sale stuff. That's almost double! Same stones, same metal, same manufacturing, same company so where is the justification in that.

Thanks for all your posts.

I know there were some games where the items did get a bit too low (not for me for them!) but I feel they have shot themslevs in the foot. I have had a wee look in a few times and have still to see a game where all the items sell.

Surely it's better to sell 1000 items at £30 than 500 at £40? Or as they say 10% of something is a lot better than 100% of nothing!

I think the gap even between the High Street and Gems is closing, if you shop carefully.

I was in Bluewater this week drooling over the goodies in Swag's sale. There was lots of choice at 50% off, and very tempting it was too. For example a 0.15ct natural pink diamond single stone ring surrounded by white diamonds was £349, which is getting down towards Gems prices, and the quality was superb.

I don't buy any jewellery unless I think I'm getting a bargain, and I don't think that Gems have those bargains any more:(

I've noticed that a lot of the games are bigger though. So although maybe not all of them sell, it kind of ammounts to the same.
You rarely used to see a Paraiba game with more than 1 in the game but I have seen some games with 3 in so if 1 sells it would be the same and takes less time.
Also, I supose if items don't sell they can move on to another game quicker which may sell so again it balances out. I'm still undecided about whether or not the timer makes a difference.
Like I've said before I wasn't around when prices were as low as some of you remember so I am unable to comment. For me the prices are still excellent especially for the quality of some of the pieces.

I do not like this new gems,too many changes and none i can think of that are any good and they have had the last of my money im afraid...I still like the presenters but in all honesty i dont watch and havent done for a while.x

The prices are way above what they used to be and Gems always prided themselves on being far cheaper than anywhere else but im afraid they are much the same as the high street in some cases,which is sad,They used to be the best .....

No longer are imo though.x

I do not like this new gems,too many changes and none i can think of that are any good and they have had the last of my money im afraid...I still like the presenters but in all honesty i dont watch and havent done for a while.x

The prices are way above what they used to be and Gems always prided themselves on being far cheaper than anywhere else but im afraid they are much the same as the high street in some cases,which is sad,They used to be the best .....

No longer are imo though.x

Angel, I have seen a few people say this about Gems and high street prices, and I am not meaning to sound rude when I say this, I am being serious, I would love to know which High Street, because I can't find them in my home town. The odd piece at a special sale price maybe, but not the norm.
The nearest in price I can find is (not sure if I'm allowed to say the name) so I'll just say the High street catalogue shop, but the stones can be very wishy washy in colour and are nowhere near the ct weights.
Also where is Sphene, Morganite, Kunzite, Russian Diopside etc I have never seen them in high street stores to be able to compare prices. But more common stones like blue topaz, opals etc the price for ct weight I just cannot match.
Also the choice of designs are for me not so varied in high street stores.
Don't get me wrong, some of the more up market jewellers have amazing items of jewellery, but apart from a couple of very special one off B'day gifts I have in my collection, normaly those stores are out of my reach.
I can't comment about other televison channels, I don't get TJC unfortunately so you may well be right.
I always seem to be praising Gems, but I can only speak as I find. I have had two more deliveries this week both of which I love.

Glitzy of course your entitled to your opinion hun.

Buttt .... im comparing to what gems have always been and what we have been accustomed to.I have been with them from day1 and in all honesty what brought me to this forum a few years ago now.

I am comparing how prices are now to how they were even a year ago.Im not talkin the aaaa tanzy or sphene ,paraiba or any of those rarer gems i talkin about what id call run of the mill gemstones,more everyday if you like,like citrine,topaz,quartz,amethyst,etc..... Now i could show you just a few of what i have had in the past from them and compared to now its a substantial increase for what your gettin in comparison.

I have seen same sort of prices elsewhere in the everyday gemstones in jewellers and also in other shoppin channels which would give gtv a run for their money..I wouldnt have sed it for effect.Of course there are also some jewellers that are more expensive than gtv aswell but i have seen very competitive prices in comparison. :)

Please dont think im browbeating them its not always been the case in how i feel of late.I wouldnt have a bad word to say against them ,but if im honest hun too many fave personalities have gone,such drastic changes in the viewing and buyin style ,imo they are becoming more and more like a rival channel who they always stated they wouldnt be like . so many changes and for me personally its not my thing anymore which is sad .And i wouldnt have owned many of the stones that i do have if it wasnt for gtv and that i am thank ful for.

But you enjoy your purchases in good health.xxxxxxx

I have to say, and it pains me to do so, that I agree!!! In the really not that distant past, I was that regular a viewer and buyer with Gems that when the guide price came on, I could guess what price the item would drop to...and the prices were absolutely amazing!

Now I realise that prices are going to rise - of course they are, we are on the brink of a global recession for goodness sake - but it is the speed at which the prices have increased that has left me somewhat peturbed! It was literally over night that the guide prices dropped remarkably, and the dropped prices were far higher than they had previously been!

Yes, I agree that the prices are still far superior to the high street, but Gems have always had this core value of ensuring they are market leaders on price, right since day 1, and they always have been. It is sad to think that the 'new regime' has brought with it a different, more pressured, higher priced core value.

I emailed customer service two months ago with a question, and I am yet to get a reply! I will not bother to even think about dealing with them again. Gems tv did have the best prices, but its really changed now, games are boring, its all mono tone, nothing happens which is just not fun to watch. At least TJC and others have variety in their auctions and prices!

Latest posts

Back