A little concerned over ear-rings at QVC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

dottiebird

Registered Shopper
Having read Flying Pigs and other peoples comments about having received returned goods in a not so very good condition, I was wondering about QVC's policy of allowing customers to return ear-rings............ yukky:down: Afterall, they won't sterilise them or anything will they:puke: So, you'll just end up getting someone's returns that they have clearly had in their lug holes............ double yuk:puke:

I don't know whether I agree with this policy do you? Other places selling jewellery do not allow you to return ear-rings.

I believe that I read on here that they sterilise returned earrings. But, you know, even if they didn't, I don't think I'd be too worried. There's not that much chance of infective agents getting onto an earring, or surviving for long if they did. Any earrings that you buy, from any shop, could easily have been handled recently by a person with hand infections or bad toilet hygeine, and how often do any of us get earlobe infections from that? Swipe the post with disinfectant if you're worried.

Totally agreed with AllthatGlitters.
No one has ever caught a diease from an earring, unless you have an allergic reaction.

Believe it or not this not being allowed to returned earrings etc all started back in the 80s when the AIDS scare was going around. For some strange reason they seemed to think you could catch it from drinking from the same glass or using earrings used by someone with HIV. Now of course we know that is total rubbish.

The presenters have said in the past earrings go into an autoclave, but it's been pointed out on here that that might not happen especially with things like pearl earrings or softer gemstones.

I do feel squeamish about it I must admit, but ultimately concur with both Donna and ATG. There is little danger from them, I always always wipe over the posts and butterflies of earrings with a little surgical spirit anyway when new. Just for my own satisfaction- but I really don't think it's necessary deep down.

HTH a bit
xx

All the earings I have recently have come in the box but in plastic bags. Even sets have come in individual bags,

Without wishing to defend QVC on this matter (I still think they need to be a lot more scrupulous when checking returned items for damage, etc.), there is about as much chance of catching something from an ear-ring as there is from a ring for the finger. I don't understand why it's thought to be such a disgusting concept.

It's a bit like some catalogues accepting returned underwear that someone's tried on around their nether regions but not accepting returned pillows/bedding - what a silly rule.

I always wondered where this ridiculus thing about earings and "infections so no returns" comes from. Thank you Donna. for clearing that up.

I heard years ago,someone ring and ask this very question.Julian B was presenting at the time (thats how long ago,for him to be presenting a jewellery show!!!) and he said also they all go into an autoclave.

Totally agreed with AllthatGlitters.
No one has ever caught a diease from an earring, unless you have an allergic reaction.

Believe it or not this not being allowed to returned earrings etc all started back in the 80s when the AIDS scare was going around. For some strange reason they seemed to think you could catch it from drinking from the same glass or using earrings used by someone with HIV. Now of course we know that is total rubbish.

You don't "catch" an allergy.
While you won't get HIV from an earring, there is a risk of Hepatitis from used earrings as the Hep B virus can live on surfaces for 10 days and the Hep C for 4 days. Clean earrings in a bleach solution if you suspect they have been used or if you are sharing earrings with people.

Also, newly pierced ears can sometime weep and ooze, and the residue could be left on the earring, this doesnt mean you would catch anything, but not nice all the same.

Also, newly pierced ears can sometime weep and ooze, and the residue could be left on the earring, this doesnt mean you would catch anything, but not nice all the same.

This also happens if you have a nickel allergy - and even earrings which claim to be hypo-allergenic can cause this (happens with me). While it's not infectious, it's not nice to think you might be sent some earrings which have been tried on by a sufferer :confused: Nickel will make ears bleed if you are sensitive, which is where the risk of Hep B/C comes in.

It's time QVC were a lot more honest about their returns/re-sending out procedures.

I'm old enough to remember the pre-AIDS thing when you could return earrings. I had a Saturday job at a well-known department store and despite refusing customers returns, the staff would be coming in on Saturday mornings having "borrowed" earrings for Friday nights!

They'd also borrow clothing and put it back on the racks, freshly pressed - though no amount of pressing alone could get rid of "sat on" wrinkles on some of the (then popular) viscose skirts and it certainly couldn't get rid of the BO smell that the concession manageress left on the tops!! I don't think anyone put two and two together as the changing rooms were tiny, stuffy and a little bit whiffy, but I have a feeling a lot of customers had a nasty shock when they took their purchases out of their bags. Thank goodness I never worked Mondays when I'd hear horror stories of disgruntled customers trying to return "pre-worn" items and being accused by the manageress of trying it on.

Latest posts

Back