Best Eveliner - Bobbi Brown or Smashbox?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

clevercat

Registered Shopper
Help please. I use eyeliner and eye makeup everyday as I am fair and my features need the definition. I have the BB duo set of eyeliners, brush and mascara on chequehold but have found I have several Smashbox eyeliners from TSV's including the recent TSV ones lurking in my stash. Which is better as I don't want to buy more to find that BB is no better than Smashbox?

Help please. I use eyeliner and eye makeup everyday as I am fair and my features need the definition. I have the BB duo set of eyeliners, brush and mascara on chequehold but have found I have several Smashbox eyeliners from TSV's including the recent TSV ones lurking in my stash. Which is better as I don't want to buy more to find that BB is no better than Smashbox?

Ahh, tricky one. First of all, I would say that the duo set from BB with the mascara and brush is fantastic! I'd buy it again and again. Every aspet of it is brilliant - even the brush as it's small and easier to use in my humble opinion.

Smashbox are great and more recent formula's are more dry which is better for application. Personally I couldn't decide...but the BB one is fantatic.

BB is gel like in texture and Smashbox is cream.

I find BB are more black based, the violet is like black/violet etc, the brown is just a dark brown. You get more colour choices with Smashbox, I don't wear black so don't really bother with BB.

Love BB eyeliner, I bought the violet/ivy eyeliner set. Yes they are more black based but I personally wouldn't want a bright colour eyeliner. You still get to see the colour but it is more of a hint.

I also like the smash box colours, the jet set I wear in the waterline and I didn't think that BB was great at this.

Another BB fan here. I have had terrible trouble with eye-liner application in the past but thanks to the texture of BB I can manage to apply it with no smudges - well, unless I want a smudge that is!!

I've just tried the Smashbox Jetset after wanting to for a long time and I love it...it is the only liner that has stayed on my waterline out of high street & qvc products and I think is the best out of all the liner's I've used...the cream liners are nice on the upper lash line too and easy to use

Neither of them 'set' on my eyelid but I have more BB liner left at the end of the working day than I have Smashbox.

One of the BB kits comes with a full size brush and the other with a mini brush. Having used them both the long-handled brush is better.

I'm torn on this one. I probably prefer the BB formula for application and longevity on me, and certainly prefer the brush, but my all time fave eyeliner is Smashbox Thunder. (With Smashbox Putty a close second. :grin:)

I guess it should come as no surprise that I find both completely essential! :giggle:

I'm torn on this one. I probably prefer the BB formula for application and longevity on me, and certainly prefer the brush, but my all time fave eyeliner is Smashbox Thunder. (With Smashbox Putty a close second. :grin:)

I guess it should come as no surprise that I find both completely essential! :giggle:

Hmmm, no surprise at all!

Best eyeliner in my experience (and that of umpteen others if you look at the reviews on Makeup Alley and various beauty blogs) is not Bobbi Brown, Smashbox or MAC (tbh I've only used MAC and Smashbox) but ELF Studio cream eyeliner http://www.eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~179.htm I like to use it with a very fine synthetic artist's brush, but it works as well with the Smashbox eyeliner brush.

Every one of the items I've bought from ELF has far exceeded expectations and are actually not just equal to, but better than other more expensive brands. Is anyone else an ELF fan?

Have you tried this one:
http://www.justbeautydirect.co.uk/product/smashbox_waterproof_shadow_liner_duo_slate_and_brush/

My favourite eyeliner was always the thunder and putty but since getting the shadow liner duo in slate this is my new favourite.

Not wishing to tempt you or anything :wink:

I like both the BB & Smashbox eyeliners. But, for a classic, clean look, I always turn to BB but use the Smashbox jetset eyeliner brush (the one with the angled stem) to apply it!

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I am still dithering as I do like a "colour" rather than a black with a tint of something effect, it just seems to suit me more than a dark colour. Something to think about before I leap but helpful to know. Sorry I have been slow to reply I have been poorly for a couple of days, not even worn makeup so I must have been off colour.

I tried Smashbox Jet Set in brown on the inner rim and my eyes absolutely hated it and on the upper lid it was ok but did crack and flake. Luckily I asked for advice and Meemoo posted that I could use my BB gel eye liners on the inner rim and and I was very happy. I do have to stick up for the Smashbox brush it is brilliant but I did send mine back.

However I recently bought the Smashbox TSV on auto-delivery (two sets, one recently and one in Aug) and it had the Jet set in it with brush for both sets. The plan is my sister is getting two jet set liners and a brush for her birthday. I get to keep the TSVs and have a fab brush for my BB gel liners! The only thing now is even though I love my TSV do I keep it after I know about why Smashbox is so exclusive to QVC? :confused: I will have to decide soon.

Anyway I bought the BB set in Ivy/Violet and can't wait for it to arrive. Maybe the long handled BB brush will be better.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses and advice. I am still dithering as I do like a "colour" rather than a black with a tint of something effect, it just seems to suit me more than a dark colour. Something to think about before I leap but helpful to know. Sorry I have been slow to reply I have been poorly for a couple of days, not even worn makeup so I must have been off colour.

That's how hubby says he knows when I'm ill! Hope you feel better soon hon. :bear:

Latest posts

Back