It's Gold - But Not As We Know It...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

tvshopper

Registered Shopper
What with gold prices being at an all time high and my local jeweller offering £8.87 per gram, I decided to get rid of some of my old Diamonique stuff.

Problem is, some of this early stuff has no UK Assay Office Hallmarking - looking through my loupe, it is often marked '00 CZ MEXICO 14K' with 2 other marks I can't make out clearly, but do not appear to be UK. Similarly, a chain that came with a pendant is simply marked '14k' with nothing else.

That's damn annoying :angry: I did really think that QVC would have UK Hallmarking done! Dunno whether any jeweller will take this as is without the correct hallmarking...:sad:

tvs

That's interesting. I was examining a pair of fairly expensive gold earrings from QVC the other day, to look for the hallmark. I couldn't see one anywhere. I though mabye I'd need a jeweller's loupe thing, but perhaps there just isn't a hallmark?

Last edited:
What with gold prices being at an all time high and my local jeweller offering £8.87 per gram, I decided to get rid of some of my old Diamonique stuff.

Problem is, some of this early stuff has no UK Assay Office Hallmarking - looking through my loupe, it is often marked '00 CZ MEXICO 14K' with 2 other marks I can't make out clearly, but do not appear to be UK. Similarly, a chain that came with a pendant is simply marked '14k' with nothing else.

That's damn annoying :angry: I did really think that QVC would have UK Hallmarking done! Dunno whether any jeweller will take this as is without the correct hallmarking...:sad:

tvs

I've had no problem when cashing in some of my QVC stuff when it's not hallmarked. The jewellers just use their testers to ascertain the carat.

I have also had trouble with a couple of QVC rings when I took them to a jeweller, they would not take them as they only had the ct. mark on , and not the 3 hallmarks, which they require, so I took them to another jeweller and they took them no bother, so it just depends on the jeweller, also the first jeweller would not take 18ct white gold rings, as they do not take white gold, so also took them to another jeweller, who took them.

I think it is against the law to sell any precious metals in this country without the full U.K. hallmark so that's why all items have to go to the assay office to be tested and hallmarked before they can be sold. It's okay if you've bought a piece of jewellery from abroad with the 14k or Silver 925 mark but I'm sure that QVC couldn't sell a Gold item in this country (that weighs over a gram in weight) without a full hallmark. Some jewellers will take unhallmarked items as they can do a chemical test on the metal to make sure it's real but I guess other jewellers err on the side of caution.

I took a ring from QVC to my local jeweller for resizing. He asked if I'd bought it abroad. When I told him where it was from, he said 'that's very naughty of them then, because it's not correctly hallmarked'. He did the resize though it may be different when you are wanting to cash it in. Maybe better to try ebay, or become a VIP member and put it on the 'buy, sell, or swap' board in The Drop?

Yes, I agree with you Pick-a-Lily. My Mum bought a gold bracelet from a jewellers but then some months later took it into another jewellers to sell it as she hadn't worn it. The 2nd. jeweller told her that it wasn't hallmarked so she should take it back to the original jeweller where she bought it. She did so and explained what had happened and the jeweller couldn't take it back quick enough! He obviously knew that he could be 'done' for selling unhallmarked jewellery. So it is naughty (and a bit strange) if a big retailer such as QVC has done a similar thing.

Maybe better to try ebay, or become a VIP member and put it on the 'buy, sell, or swap' board in The Drop?

Ebay is no good for selling jewellery I've found - people are wary of buying for fear it's fake and prices are waaaaayyy too low.

tvs

Latest posts

Back