What does QVC do with returned make up?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Posy

Registered Shopper
I've always wondered what happens to make up returns. Anyone know?

unless it is returned fully sealed I think they would have to throw it away for health and hygiene reasons, whether they dispose of it or the make-up companies do I don't think there is any way it could be re-sold, even in the outlets? who on earth would buy used make-up :mysmilie_460:

i know that the used make up /skin care etc doesnt get to the outlets.........however the unopened /unused items do......ive bought plenty of it in the past. [ you dont get the 30 day MBG though ]........just got some lovely tova.......hope that helps & i agree yuck to use someone elses make up......i know i gove my daughter my lip glosses if i dont care for them BUT i think thats a little different

On ebay USA you cannot sell used makeup. I know on MUA forum they are really shocked that ebay UK does sell it.

I do buy makeup from ebay but its always been new. Now I do see sellers saying New but if you read the details you do get swiped once or even slight mark on the eyeshadow or blush etc. The latter bit I actually don't mind, as I once bought an Armani eyeshadow for £5 which the seller said swiped once and there wasn't a mark on it.

You can sanitze (sp) powder makeup and even lipstick with pure alcohol(not the drinking sort).

But I think the makeup board on MUA swaps makeup? Presumably they're OK with used makeup under those circumstances?

I love MUA

I love MUA. It is quite an informative site but of course very much a
US site and by the looks of it loved by mostly twenty something year olds.
They have a strange view of "used" makeup! Your asking for trouble
using any used makeup aside from the obvious "yukk!" factor.

All I can say that one day when I actually have some spare cash I must
go over to NY and take up residence in Sephora.:grin: It would be heaven
to go all over the place trying on makeup and getting loads of freebies.
Sephora even take "returns"!!! Make of that what you will.

They sell some of it in the staff shop or did anyway. My sister used to work in the call centre and would bring all weird and wonderful stuff home from there. She used to buy bottles of molten brown where someone had clearly had one bath and then decided they didn't like it so there was only a small amount missing. I'd imagine that they wouldn't be able to sell used cosmetics to the general public and only sell off the sealed stuff in the outlets shops.

I don't know about the stuff that people have actually put their fingers in or touched like lipsticks - thats pretty gross. I think that stuff may be returned to the companies.

On the ebay thing I saw a jar of hydra-floral on there the other day that someone admitted was used. That is really disgusting.

I've seen used make up on ebay before and thought it gross. I cant bear the thought of second hand make up, but yet folk that have make overs in beauty salons and make up counters are surely sharing with every tom dick and harry, and that doesnt seem to be frowned on??

From the sound of it on the US sites, the crux of the matter seems to be whether or not the item is for sale; if it's used but free: 'that's ok, I'll turn a blind eye' vs if it's used and for sale: 'yuk' lol!

I swap on MUA all the time and have never had any problems with it. We leave feedback for each other like on eBay so you know who you're dealing with and if both parties aren't happy with what they have received then you reverse. If I swipe an eyeshadow once and don't like it what am I going to do with it? Bin it? Can't return it so why not send it to someone else who might like it? :clapping: Plus we post pictures of the item available for swap so you can see if it's something you wouldn't fancy sticking your mitts into!

Most people only swap for powder products which don't harbour bacteria like creams or liquids, I've done about 80 swaps and no probs so far!

Tx

I've always wondered what happens to make up returns. Anyone know?

I don't know about cosmetics but my sister once ordered a pot of Liz Earle Skin Repair Moisturiser which had finger prints on the top of the surface of the cream, and it had quite obviously been sat opened after being returned for quite some time because it had gone stale.

This was quite a few years ago though, so I don't know if standards have improved since.

I swap on MUA all the time and have never had any problems with it. We leave feedback for each other like on eBay so you know who you're dealing with and if both parties aren't happy with what they have received then you reverse. If I swipe an eyeshadow once and don't like it what am I going to do with it? Bin it? Can't return it so why not send it to someone else who might like it? :clapping: Plus we post pictures of the item available for swap so you can see if it's something you wouldn't fancy sticking your mitts into!

Most people only swap for powder products which don't harbour bacteria like creams or liquids, I've done about 80 swaps and no probs so far!

Tx

I used to swap now and then on MUA. But the trouble was many people would not swap outside the USA. It seemed anything I fancied was from them.

I've seen used make up on ebay before and thought it gross. I cant bear the thought of second hand make up, but yet folk that have make overs in beauty salons and make up counters are surely sharing with every tom dick and harry, and that doesnt seem to be frowned on??

good point Choppysocks (makes mental note not to go for any beauty counter make-overs!)

and what about make-up artists like Mally, SJ, Jemma Kidd etc?
can't see them using new/unused items for each and every client?!?

When make up artists are making people up they use brushes and sponges When using cleanser a spatula is used. so they are not putting their fingers into the product all the time.

When make up artists are making people up they use brushes and sponges When using cleanser a spatula is used. so they are not putting their fingers into the product all the time.

No but they are putting a brush into a pot, then onto someones greasy face and then back into the pots again. (not saying that everyone has greasy faces,) :nod:

Latest posts

Back