JR Daughter

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

popcorn

Registered Shopper
I wanted to know if I heard right on the 11pm handbag show when it was the B Makowsky TSV that her daughter works for QVC as a Production Assistant thought I might have been hearing things age and all that

I think there's been a lot of talk about JR and nepotism on the forum, I'm not that clever to find a link to it all, I am sure somebody will!

I wanted to know if I heard right on the 11pm handbag show when it was the B Makowsky TSV that her daughter works for QVC as a Production Assistant thought I might have been hearing things age and all that
Lots of family members work for the same company. Why would you think you were hearing things?:thinking:

Yes sophie does work for QVC, and as the previous person has said there has been lots of family members have worked for QVC, Paul Lavers who used to be a presenter on QVC his son also worked there. But unlike JR they didn't promote their childrens careers on QVC I know this as I have been a QVC member since they started 16 years ago. So as my mother and between us we watch QVC most of the day so I would have seen this for myself or my mother would have.

I think there's been a lot of talk about JR and nepotism on the forum, I'm not that clever to find a link to it all, I am sure somebody will!

You are just too smart to bother, ms.

Last edited:
QVC is such a big company that you would think they would want to earn their customers' respect by adopting equal opportunities policies in terms of recruitment. They're not a small family firm. Nepotism stinks.

QVC is such a big company that you would think they would want to earn their customers' respect by adopting equal opportunities policies in terms of recruitment. They're not a small family firm. Nepotism stinks.

How do you know that JR's daughter wasn't the best person for the job?
My mother helped me get a job in the company she worked for. If she hadn't worked there I may not have been interviewed. I didn't get the job because she asked them to give it to me but it certainly helped me to be seen in the first instance.
I am sure that Sophie wouldn't have got the job if she hadn't been what QVC wanted.

I don't understand the anger over JR's daughter working at QVC!
Firstly it's human nature to want to help your kids out and if you're in a position to enable them to get a foot in the door, then why not? I'm sure any of us would do the same!
Secondly QVC are big enough and professional enough to only hire who they want to and get rid of them pdq if they're not suitable. I doubt very much whether Julia (queen of QVC or not) would hold enough sway to ensure that her daughter was kept on the payroll if she wasn't up to the job.
Finally, several places I have worked have actively encouraged family members to apply for jobs. That's life!

I know people employing relatives generally gets a bad rep, but just because someone is related to a fellow employee does not mean that they are no good at the job or that they got preferential treatment.
As other posters have said lots of people work for the same company as other members of their family. And many of QVC's studio employees (producers, presenters, models and guests etc) are self-employed and contracted to do their job, rather than being actually employed permanently by QVC and it is natural for people hiring such self-employed workers to pick from a pool they are familiar with.
I'm not saying this is the case with Sophie, but I don't think we can assume that, just because she is Julia's daughter, she has unfairly done someone else out of the job.

I'm not saying this is the case with Sophie, but I don't think we can assume that, just because she is Julia's daughter, she has unfairly done someone else out of the job.

Depends whether the job was advertised and she was fairly interviewed along with everyone else who applied by someone other than her mother. I would hope that QVC did do this, and she wasnt 'interviewed' in isolation of the job being availble to Joe Public.

When someone in a position of power is a relative of a minion how can they be treated the same as the other minions? That, to me, is why nepotism is wrong. How can the workers be treated without favouritism if one of them is related to the 'Queen Bee'? Would you be brave enough to tell Julia her daughter isn't up to scratch? Watch and see how long it takes Sophie to progress up the heirarchy compared with others of the same rank...then tell me there's no favouritism.

Depends whether the job was advertised and she was fairly interviewed along with everyone else who applied by someone other than her mother. I would hope that QVC did do this, and she wasnt 'interviewed' in isolation of the job being availble to Joe Public.

Surely, Julia wouldn't be intervewing technical staff?

if she merely suggested sophie for the job then that's ok but if she went out of her way to ensure she got the job then that is not ok obv we don't know ins and outs can only assume but when she has her family on for special events does come across as all julia's doing am now going to hide :)

When someone in a position of power is a relative of a minion how can they be treated the same as the other minions? That, to me, is why nepotism is wrong. How can the workers be treated without favouritism if one of them is related to the 'Queen Bee'? Would you be brave enough to tell Julia her daughter isn't up to scratch? Watch and see how long it takes Sophie to progress up the heirarchy compared with others of the same rank...then tell me there's no favouritism.

I think you're being a bit unfair IMHO. If Sophie did turn out to be bad at the job (unlikely since I'm sure that QVC don't just pick any staff on a whim) it would be she that QVC informed, not her mother. Julia is an employee - she doesn't run the company, sit on the board or head-up human resources. The people who own and run QVC are business people, they have a financial interest in their company , they are not likely to employ someone who is a risk just to please another employee. Tens of thousands of people work for the same company as their parents. Many of them were probably told about the vacancy by their parents. Some of their parents may have told their boss their offspring is interested in a job there. There is nothing wrong with any of that. It's only nepotism when an individual favours a relative for a position they are either unqualified for, or not capable of. When two people who are family members are working for the same company that is just two family members working for the same company. If they got a foot in the door because of their parent, that is just their good luck. And it is only that getting the job is up to them, no-one else.

I'm guessing that as JR owns her own production company, and that Sophie is working for QVC as a freelance production Assistant, then maybe Julia is her boss?

To be honest, I couldn't give two hoots if Julia employed her entire family, friends, neighbours, milkman and chiropodist as long as they could do the job for which they were employed to do. I just don't get why it annoys some people so much, which isn't to say they are not entitled to their opinion as we all are.

Latest posts

Back