Is Pro-Strong any good for peeling nails?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gemster

Registered Shopper
I have long nails which are normally in good nick, I use OPI nail envy and avoplex, and the Leighton Denny crystal nail file which all normally work well for me.

But my nails have started peeling and flaking recently and the tips are getting very thin, so was wondering if I should try one of the pro-strong products which are meant to thicken the nail/form a protective shield. The reviews on QVC are very mixed - has anyone tried any of this range and would you recommend?

Thank very much to anyone who can help :flower:

I have bitten my nails since i was tiny, then all of a sudden i stopped, and they grew. They were very think and weak, and would split sideways when at the point where they grow away from the end of the finger. They peel too. I have tried Pro-Strong and it made no difference whatsoever. Neither has OPI (avoplex or nail envy), so i get acrylics now. But i would like to be able not to!

Hi Gemster and Miniminx,

I have tried every nail treatments sold by QVC and an awful lot that are not. I have to say that using Prostrong seemed to work for a while but then my nails started peeling again. I used Leighton Denny and again thought I had cracked it but then they started peeling. So I gave up.

But, I have recently bought a cream from Boots called Expert Cuticle and Nail moisturiser. It's very reasonably priced and seems to be working at the moment. (finges crossed) I was also advised by the sales lady to keep my nails really short for quite a while until they seemed stronger.. Hope that helps. J.

I have used Pro strong, but don't rate it. I use Liz earle super skin moisturiser or any nail oil and that seems to work for me. HTH xx

:mysmilie_504: everyone

think I'll give pro-strong a miss then!

I'll keep slathering on the nail oil and will give that Boots expert one a try as their stuff is very reasonable - especially compared to QVC - so thanks very much for that Buttercorn!

I've filed my nails down quite a bit now as well, they can get quite talon like as grow very quickly so the tips were maybe just showing signs of too much wear and tear!

thanks again for the advice :flower:

But my nails have started peeling and flaking recently and the tips are getting very thin, so was wondering if I should try one of the pro-strong products which are meant to thicken the nail/form a protective shield. The reviews on QVC are very mixed - has anyone tried any of this range and would you recommend?:

:wave: My nails suddenly "disintergrated" last November, splitting and peeling etc. I think it was a reaction to surgery a few weeks earlier.

Did a bit of research online and discovered Solar Oil. It's a vitamin E oil you need to use every day if possible, including dabbing under the nail as well.

It's definitely not a quick fix but has been worth it , my nails now are the best they have ever been, much thicker and very strong, not a flake in sight!

Not sure where you could buy it on the high street, I find it on Ebay 15ml for around £6 - £7 . It will take a while for results but is well worth it. I used it 2/3 times a day the first few weeks :up:

If you search this forum for MILAGRO and TRIND, you'll find my babbles about the best 2 nail strengtheners in the world...

IMHO :giggle:

clemenzina

I made the error of having acrylics for a while earlier in the year, but of course after their removal my nails were in a terrible state (never again!). Tried Nail Envy, but that made my nails so brittle that after a few weeks of growth, they just broke again. Have been using Leighton Denny Bio Build for a few weeks and the difference to my nails is amazing. Although they are still a bit ridgey, they feel thicker but still flexible.

Would also agree about using a nail oil too. Might not be the quick fix you're looking for but remembering to use one regularly really helps.

There's a useful UK website called salon geek who have nail techs on there, they would be able to advise you. :)

I had the same problem. I bought vitamin E capsules which are a bit cheaper than the stuff specially made for nails, and they worked just as well. I snipped the end off and massaged the oil in every night

I can recommend Leighton Denny's Bio Build Serum - that strengthened my nails but still left them flexible. I've also had success with Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle Butter and Liz Earle's Superbalm.

OPI and ProStrong were both a bit 'meh' in my opinion, the ProStrong worked better out of the two, but after I stopped using it, my nails went wangy again. OPI just made my nails peel.

thanks again everyone!!!

Based on all your advice I am going to make sure I put a nail oil on twice a day minumum, if there is no improvement in a couple of weeks I'm going to try the Milagro as it says you can apply over nailpolish, so thanks very much for that recommendation Clemenzia and I found the posts with your hands and nails looking gorgeous - you are a good advert for the brand!

I was thinking of trying LD Hydraflex or BioBuild but from what I can gather you can't wear nailpolish with these and I don't like my nails being naked...:eek:

I went for the Pro Strong Calcium set yesterday so will be interesting to see how it works (or not!). Tried OPI nail treatments but didn't stop flaking nails. Thank goodness for 30 day money back guarantee :up:

I have always had strong nails but after using OPI Avoplex the started peeling. I will leave them well alone from now on

Have you thought about having gel overlays for a while Gemster? (You don't have to have a colour, you could have clear if you prefer) I've been having Bio-Sculpture overlays for a couple of months, because my nails, although they grow long, kept splitting at the side. It doesn't contain acrylic, so won't damage your nails, but will protect them while they grow. Shoving my hands in to overstuffed filing cabinets was playing havoc with them.

Once they've grown, you could have the overlays soaked off, and then embark on one of the other methods to keep them in good condition.

This is how long my nails have grown in 2 months!!! They look a bit scruffy, because I'm due for an appointment :giggle:
<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From 2010-06-07 nails</td></tr></tbody></table>

Have you thought about having gel overlays for a while Gemster? (You don't have to have a colour, you could have clear if you prefer) I've been having Bio-Sculpture overlays for a couple of months, because my nails, although they grow long, kept splitting at the side. It doesn't contain acrylic, so won't damage your nails, but will protect them while they grow. Shoving my hands in to overstuffed filing cabinets was playing havoc with them.

Once they've grown, you could have the overlays soaked off, and then embark on one of the other methods to keep them in good condition.

This is how long my nails have grown in 2 months!!! They look a bit scruffy, because I'm due for an appointment :giggle:
<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From 2010-06-07 nails</td></tr></tbody></table>

your nails are gorgeous Beady! I've never had overlays or anything like that & don't even know what's available these days, having always had good nails I've never even been for a professional manicure never mind anything else!

Will have a look into the gel overlays - can you put your own polish on them?

I don't know Gemster, the Bio-sculpture gel comes in about a million colours (ok, well not quite a million, but loads) so I just have that. But as the lady is on holiday, she's given me a bottle of the Bio-sculpture nail varnish that I can use to in-fill the growth until I can see her for a proper job.

I have bitten my nails since i was tiny, then all of a sudden i stopped, and they grew. They were very think and weak, and would split sideways when at the point where they grow away from the end of the finger. They peel too. I have tried Pro-Strong and it made no difference whatsoever. Neither has OPI (avoplex or nail envy), so i get acrylics now. But i would like to be able not to!

How the heck did you manage to stop biting your nails ??? I have bitten mine for 60 (ahem) years and tried no end of times to stop, with no success. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated, as I would LOVE even short, nicely manicured nails.

P xx

You can use polish with the BioBuild system, if you get the duo, one is a serum that you can use through whatever is on your nails, the other is a paint-on treatment that seals your nails; one coat on fresh nails as a base , or 2 coats on naked nails. I have not used the Hydra Flex, I think that might be the one you can't use colour with. Another thumbs up for Bio Build from me though. That'd be a beautifully-manicured thumb too;-)

Latest posts

Back