Picture Quality

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

deanos

Registered Shopper
Anyone else notice the picture quality on IW has degraded recently, not sure if they have cut back on the bit rate to save money but it does not look very good.

Mum commented on this a couple of days ago. The picture looked "squashed" and the on-screen graphics were hard to read. It makes mum's eyes go funny.

If you're using Freeview, the picture quality has nothing at all to do with the TV Channel itself, it's to do with how many channels are sharing that particular frequency. A channel can be added and the other ones have to accept that their picture quality will go down in order to accommodate it!

This was the case with Ideal World when 'Dave Ja Vu' was added to Freeview.

I think that with Sky/Virgin/Freesat this is not the case as bandwidth is not so limited.

HTH

Just had a flick between Q and IW and on Sky HD there's a striking difference in picture quality; I hadn't noticed before. Upstairs on a smaller telly with freeview it's less obvious.

Shaun currently looks as though he's on that dodgy live feed they do from the US sometimes: pecular skintones and unnatural shadows iykwim

Jude xx

If you're using Freeview, the picture quality has nothing at all to do with the TV Channel itself, it's to do with how many channels are sharing that particular frequency. A channel can be added and the other ones have to accept that their picture quality will go down in order to accommodate it!

I think that with Sky/Virgin/Freesat this is not the case as bandwidth is not so limited.

HTH

Sky/Vigin/Freesat is exactly the same - a compnay can pay less if they use less bandwidth so some channels can look worse...Ideal World being an example and a lot of the Infomercials can look very poor.

I have always found QVC to have a much clearer picture than Ideal World.

Even differnt channels owned by one company can look different as Create and Craft has a poorer picture than Ideal World.

I noticed this when I first got Sky HD and I know on some websites some people were saying it was the HD boxes but it could never be ascertained the actual reason - and this was about other channels picture quality, not IW.

Ideal World picture quality is random - I find sometimes it is a good picture, and other times its poor. Very random - glad i dont watch this channel very much as it would be quite anoying. The clue to the picture quality is how easy it is to read the text on the channel.

I dont tend to find this with QVC though.

RE Picture Quality

Anyone else notice the picture quality on IW has degraded recently, not sure if they have cut back on the bit rate to save money but it does not look very good.

I thought it was just me..or my telly.The quality has degraded big time.Save money??? Oh ,so thats why theiyre now charging custoimers to call..while QVC remains a freecall.
The picture is keeping in line with the channel and what they sell.Crap.

HTH

Agree with you on the freeview bit and add that if your local transmitter is still doing analogue you may suffer a bit of degradation. When ours went fully digital, picture quality improved tremendously on freeview. Haven't noticed any difference in output quality from any channels though.

Oh and I recently discovered that freeview is inconsistent throughout the country. Turns out they buy and sell channels i.e. bandwidth all the time. Hence one of the reasons we in N. Wales at least don't get Virgin 1 past 7pm and get Yesterday all night instead so that would tie in with the bandwidth/quality thing. Its a joke this freeview thing really as why do we in N.Wales get less than the Midlands (another moan for another forum!).

Latest posts

Back