Same old, same old

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

argeybargey

Retired - Don't Quite Fit
:mysmilie_490: Having watched and bought quite a few pieces from Rocks a while back, I'm disappointed to see that nearly everything on Gems so far is familiar. If you are/have been a customer of both channels, looks like it's all going to get a bit dull. Very disappointing start to something I'd been looking forward to. Having been a customer of Gems for many years and Rocks since it started, I'm a bit sad to find myself gradually being drawn over to TJC. Oh well, that's life I guess! xxxxxx

I agree as well Argey, watched a little over the last few days and gemstv is now a 'clone' of rockstv selling the rockstv products, I'm disappointed too as thought we would have a wider choice of gems not a smaller choice :sad:

I'm also in agreement, its just rockstv 2!, i don't watch rockstv anymore because their jewellery just isn't my cup of tea , so now it looks like there is no point me watching gems!

Hi, I am new to posting on this site but have been reading it for months. I posted on another thread, unfortunately a bit too long of a post though, but I got started and couldn't stop. I will miss Gems as I haven't cared for Rocks at all. Once in a blue moon I saw something that I thought looked a bit interesting but I wasn't going to pick up the phone to buy it.

I only started buying from Gems last summer as my husband was confined to bed for a long while and surfed the channels and became fascinated with the shopping ones. He insisted I look at them -- his mistake! But we both liked Gems style and the items they presented. I am not familiar with the way Gems once was as many on here lamented its past glory and fall from grace.

It didn't bother me that Gems offered such ranges as Lily Allen, Alisha Dixon, Gold 'n' Ice or Moissinate (sp?), etc. The Lily Allen and Alisha Dixon stuff didn't appeal to me so I wasn't going to buy them. A very posh High Street jewellry shop in my town carries a range of simulant diamonds which surprised me. I bought a few of the jewellry boxes and put a Stackers set together during the clearance before they ran out. I thought of Gems as a shop so it should have a variety of ranges and styles to offer a lot of different tastes and interests as well as budgets.

I thought that there were plenty of hours in the day, week, month to present a wide variety of products. If it sold, I couldn't fault Gems for offering it. I liked the theme shows of "glorious green gems", "beautiful blue stones", the Victoria range or Yahsarah or the premiere shows when new stock came in like the Chrome Diopside and Indicolite Tourmaline from a while back. I had never heard of these two gems before. I don't necessarily want to have Gems on all day to catch that one piece I am interested in. So I could check the Sky menu for the day and set a reminder for the shows I particularly didn't want to miss. Now sadly that's gone from the schedule.

Too bad that a good business person couldn't have tweaked Gems enough to survive on its own and the current economic climate. With the dropping of the website without warning (or did I miss that warning?) , I missed getting some things I wanted ... I wish that someone had been a little more straightforward that Gems stock would not be presented any more after Sunday. Maybe I didn't pick up on that warning. Had I done so I would have bought a few more things I had admired. Oh well. I'll live.

Don't think that I will be watching the new show that much if at all. I like to use the computer to do my buying. I am more visual. Don't want to call CS unless I have a good reason. I see that there isn't a Q buster 3 anymore (have I missed that too?). They aren't really making it easy for the customers to make purchases.

Personally I don't know the new management so I might be a bit critical, but I wish he'd stay off the screen. It's one thing for Gems to have a relaxed approach but get on with it!! I guess I like the clock being gone. Can't remember if it was there when I first started shopping. I like the presenters on Gems as they do make an effort to look good, a bit glam. After all we all can live without jewellry, the presenters on GemsTV always looked a bit glam like they made an effort with hairstyle, make up and fashioin.

I hate to be so critical but when I watch Rocks, they look like me when I have just tumbled out of bed and have done nothing to spruce myself up and have just put on what was hanging on the bed post from the night before. I know that sounds a bit harsh but they are trying to sell us an idea, a bit of a dream and telly is a visual medium. They should look a bit glitzy and glamourous (those on Rocks) ...

I have really enjoyed it in the past when someone like Lynn would tell little stories about herself as a child and the adventures she had. Just little nuggets to fill in the time a bit while viewers are looking at item or there is some slight delay. But this new owner keeps creeping onto the set to 'show' us how it's done. Maybe it's his style and I am just not used to it and will get to enjoy it in the future.

I guess I am just let down as GemsTV does have a great set, excellent presenters who dress the part (ok, they have all at one time had a bad hair day, but they look great overall), extremely good lighting that enhances the item being show, doesn't wash it out and also flatters the presenters. Rocks set looks sterile, cold, uninviting.

Oh and what is the sizing policy on rings ... some are in a numbered size rather than a letter, and some are not the standard GemsTV size N but larger sizes. Will this vary from ring to ring and why is this? Does new management purchase leftovers?

Sorry to be so long, sorry to rant on but losing GemsTV and its website as I knew it is really a let down. On to other channels now ... not the one with the fog horn though as I find that as irritating as the GemsTV klaxon.

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the Forum, Amethyst!

They are currently doing most of their rings is three sizes: small, medium and large. The ring size numbers are American sizes - I think 5 corresponds to J/K, 7 is N/O and 9 is R/S. You may also see some of the older stock in sizes 6 or 8, but the new stock seems to be just 5, 7 and 9 - their being that one of those sizes will fit at least one finger on most people, which is better than only having size 7. If no size is mentioned, that usually means it's a 'standard' a size 7.

I have posted an e-mail from Steve on the "Gemtv old stock" thread which may be of interest to Gems customers. xxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed, obviously we will be developing different ranges for Gems TV and there will certainly be lots of themed hours coming up. Unfortunately these things don't happen overnight though and we are working hard to make sure we can bring the widest selection of jewellery at the right prices.

Hopefully you will see over the coming months designs to suit your tastes. Right now though with the takeover having happened so quickly we just want to make sure that we are able to operate and offer a good service.

There is still a lot of Gems TV stock that we will be bringing to air, however because we had no choice but to change their system to ours, this stock will need to be booked back in again. Hopefully this will happen next week.

As always if we can answer any other questions please feel free to email any of us as we very much welcome feedback

Kind Regards
Sarah

I really like the Bennetts but agree with the criticisms posted.
Gems at least offerered a different range and that made flicking over more interesting,I do hope there will be new stones and new styles.
I'm afraid I would also have another request and that is that the metal weights are a little more substantial,even the silver items feel flimsy,I personally would rather pay a little more and have an item which feels better qualitey.

I have just joined the forum but keep up to date with the posts most days. I've got to say that I have always loved Gems tv although they did lose their way in my opinion when Steve Bennett and Don Kogan left especially the customer services and some of the very dodgy ranges. I think it is brilliant that Rocks tv has bought over Gems as being a Virgin customer I could only access Rocks through the internet so generally watched Gems, so i am bewildered about the negative comments since Rocks took over. I think the jewellery is FAB and the choices and prices are what Gems used to be, I've been watching non stop since last Friday and I haven't done that for a very long time! If it hadn't been for Gems tv who started the Jewellery Channel craze I wouldn't own the fabulous pieces of jewellery that i have today so for that
reason (and the fact that i dont rate TJC quality) I'll continue to watch and buy, especially now that Steve Bennett is back. :wonder:

The thing is, now the bennetts have taken over gemstv, it was always going to go the same as rockstv. I for one am disappointed about it, and won't be buying from gems much as I find rockstv quite amateurish and now find gemstv the same.
I also am not blown away with the quality of rockstv products. I also wish Steve wouldn't present so much!
TJC it is then!

Latest posts

Back