Can anyone help please? I

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glitzy

Registered Shopper
Hi, I haven't posted on here for such a long time, so sorry to come back and need your help:happy: Today I went to a local Antique/second hand jewellery centre, and spotted in one of the cabinets a very pretty ring, that I was sure was a green/Turquoise Paraiba Tourmaline. It is oval and of a good size set in 18ct yellow gold with two little diamonds on either side. I asked to have a look at it. I had my loupe with me and checked the hallmark which was indeed 750 and also stamped DK which I know is Gems TV. That's great because if you are buying second hand then at least you know it is a genuine stone.
It was described on the ticket as an 18ct green stone dress ring. When I paid for it the lady who worked there said isn't it lovely, I think it might be an Apatite.
I like it anyway,and it was a good price, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if Gems TV ever set Apatite in 18ct gold? I must admit I have never seen Apatite in 18ct and so still think it could be a PT. But I may be wrong. Does anyone have any idea. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi Glitzy

I have an apatite pendant from Gems which is set in 18ct gold. It looks just like the very very top quality paraiba tourmaline (which is probably why it was sold as 'Paraiba Apatite' lol).

I think that Gems only set their very top quality (ie saturated colour or very large stones) apatite in 18ct gold.

What's the stone in your ring like Glitzy? If it's a paler turquoise it could well be paraiba. If it's the sought-after 'swimming pool' colour then it's either top apatite or you've got paraiba and the bargain of the century!

oh and where is this antiques centre? if it's got good bargains I'd rather like a trip there myself!

Thanks for your replies, I wont have time this weekend to post pics, but I hope to get a chance later in the week.
Jantaculum, the colour is a sort of pale minty green but quite a strong colour saturation not much of a window and quite neon in the lights, also sometimes when you look at it in certain angles or different lights it has more of a blue/turquoise colour. It certainly isn't bright blue like a zircon or some of the Paraibas I've seen in books, but looks very like the colour of the Paraiba thats shown on the tourmaline page in the Gems tv gems book that I have.
By the way, the Antique centre is in Gloucester at the Quays. It is on several floors and has many different units selling lots of different items. Many selling both antique and second hand jewellery. It is just luck of the draw what is there when you go.

Latest posts

Back