Colours of Life necklaces

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
Wow - did anyone see them?

There were three of these:

http://www.rocksandco.com/index.php?task=jewelleryItemDisplay&action=display&sku=345 410

And this was a one-of-a-kind:

http://www.rocksandco.com/index.php?task=jewelleryItemDisplay&action=display&sku=628 026

Both absolutely stunning.

I know a lot of people are not fans of Rocks & Co, but their jewellery is absolutely unique and distinctive (and their pieces have a consistency of designe which indicates that they genuinely do manufacture everything themselves in their factory in Thailand, and don't buy anything in). Where else - not only on shopping telly - would you find anything remotely like this?

As a fellow lover of RS Miss M, I have to agree and say the designs are absolutely beautiful. Were you tempted? Just out of interest, what price did they go for?

All three of first design went quickly at £1,499.

The second one closed at £3,999, but did not sell during the auction - although that is in itself a huge amount of money (almost as much as my car!), it's really not a bad price for all those gemstones and gold. I bet the people in Thailand had great fun designing and making it. I only wish I had the kind of lifestyle where I could not only affod such things, but also had the occasion to wear them!

I particularly like the first design, and think that's a pretty good price for it. Bet it looked lovely IRL.

I just thought I'd post some screen-shots of the necklaces... What's not to love?

Attachments

• Colours of life necklace 1.jpg
    Colours of life necklace 1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Colours of life necklace 2.jpg
    Colours of life necklace 2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 282
i prefer the 1st design. I wish I had the money in my a/c to be able to treat myself whenever i see the lovely designs featured on rocks&co :(

Those are grossly overpriced for treated sapphires. If you bought the same loose sapphires (treated) you would find that you could get them very cheaply. If you then knew a good jeweller you could have the piece made to your own specification and I'd be very very surprised if you didn't save at least 50% on the price of the cheaper one.

As for the more expensive one? Whilst it may be pretty it's extortionate. Sorry.

With respect, as the cheaper necklace (£1,499) has over 30gms of 9ct white gold and the average price on the high street is £41 per gram, in my estimation that makes a total of £1,230 for the gold alone.

With the cost of the stones and the the jeweller's costs, I fail to see how you could source the material and get it designed and made for less than r&c sold it for.

I may be quite wrong here but I would be very happy to stand corrected.

Don't intend to be controversial in any way

Cheers
Jules

I'm not entirely sure it's fair to compare the price of these finished pieces against the cost of sourcing / buying the raw ingredients yourself and getting a jeweller to design/ makeup the item to your specification. You are buying a finished product where someone has created the design (and made all that effort for you so surely you would expect to pay a markup for that. Just like when you buy clothes off the shelf you are paying for a lot more than the cost of the material/ dressmaker...

With respect, as the cheaper necklace (£1,499) has over 30gms of 9ct white gold and the average price on the high street is £41 per gram, in my estimation that makes a total of £1,230 for the gold alone.

With the cost of the stones and the the jeweller's costs, I fail to see how you could source the material and get it designed and made for less than r&c sold it for.

I may be quite wrong here but I would be very happy to stand corrected.

Don't intend to be controversial in any way

Cheers
Jules

A jeweller would not pay that for per gram of gold.

I'm not entirely sure it's fair to compare the price of these finished pieces against the cost of sourcing / buying the raw ingredients yourself and getting a jeweller to design/ makeup the item to your specification. You are buying a finished product where someone has created the design (and made all that effort for you so surely you would expect to pay a markup for that. Just like when you buy clothes off the shelf you are paying for a lot more than the cost of the material/ dressmaker...

I'm sorry but as I regularly do have pieces made, I know the cost of the raw materials, where to source them etc and whilst I don't mind paying a little more for a good quality finished piece using high quality gemstones there's a limit as to how much mark up there should be. These are NOT high quality gemstones. They are BE diffused sapphires which can be bought for next to nothing.

Of course, if you feel the price is fair and you wouldn't want the bother of making a piece then of course it's a good buy for you. Don't forget however these are mass produced (albeit presumably in smaller numbers than some of their other items) and sold all over the world which brings down manufacturing costs considerably.

The price of both these items (for me) is a total and utter rip off and represents this channel which I would think won't be going for much longer.

I do most wholeheartely agree that a jeweller would not pay £41 for a gram of gold, but the simple fact is that this the going rate for a finished piece of gold jewellery in the UK market today, therefore that would be the average price a person would be expected to pay,

On that basis, I still think the cheaper necklace was reasonably priced, even if the gemstones are not especially valuable

Cheers

Jules

Latest posts

Back