Photo of my mystery ring

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glitzy

Registered Shopper
I posted about this ring a few weeks ago, but was unable to post photos. I bought it at an antique/jewellery centre it's 18ct gold with two little diamonds and hallmarked DK for Gems Tv the date mark is h for 2007.
It is quite neon in the light and minty green in ordinary light. Now I have worked out a way to post a link to my photos, can you have a quick look at this and give your opinions on whether you think it's an Apatite or a green Paraiba tourmaline. Either way it was a good price and a pretty ring but I'd love to know. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfish...sc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfishuk/

It's absolute 100% impossible to say whether a stone is X or Y from a photo and anybody who says they can would be lying and I wouldn't trust their judgement!

That being said, I would hazard a guess that your stone is an Emerald based on the inclusions I can see and the way the gem is reacting to the light. If you took this into a jewellers they should be able to tell fairly easily with a coloured gemstone tester.

Thanks meeshoo, I guessed as much, just didn't know if anyone might recognise or have this ring too. In reality it has very few inclussions even with an eye glass, so didn't strike me as Emerald, but I could be wrong. No worries. Thanks for your help. x

Very unlikely to be apatite Glitzy as Gems resisted putting it into rings until relatively recently, as they considered it too soft to be suitable for rings. I think they bowed to demand. xxxxx

Hi Glitzy, it's good that you gave us a year for your mystery ring as it rules out Apatite as Argey says above. But the suggestion from Meesh that it could be Emerald is very feasible. In 2007 GTV were selling a lot of Siberian Emerald which had the softer bluey green tones....compared to Zambian etc. and they could be taken for a greenish PT, as seen in a photo. The other thought that came to mind, as with your other new gloriously coloured PT rings (congratulations by the way) does it 'glow' in the dark as a good Paraiba should? :happy:

Actually I've thought of another test you could do (although this isn't foolproof). If you have a UV pen try shining it on the stone. A Tourmaline is highly unlikely to fluoresce. However, an Emerald might show a very very very pale pink tinge. I say "might" because it depends on where the Emerald has come from (if it is one) as to the chemical composition.

As Meesh says its allmost impossible to say for definate just by a photo what a gemstone is, but my gut instinct is that its emerald also.

Thanks to everyone for your input and help. Mmm a Siberian Emerald sounds interesting. Thanks again for your help. X X

Latest posts

Back