Alexandrite

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glitzy

Registered Shopper
I have a 9ct Alexandrite ring from Gems from 2005. Its quite a small stone with a little diamond on either side but shows very good colour change. My Mother had bought it and has given it to me but didn't keep her authenticity card.
Just wondered if anyone knows if the Alexandrite from 2005 could be Russian?

Hi Glitzy, the order history facility is back online until mid August so ask your Mum to check her orders and she can view the ring's details. Mine purchased in early 2006 were Russian and later on Indian, so it's probable your ring is Russian.

*Puts on flak jacket and helmet*

Alexandrite is a valuable gem in it's own right. Having a true provenance attached that a gem is Russian is a bonus. However, I don't believe that Gems could ever give true provenance on these so I'd take it with a pinch of salt. I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade (and believe me I have some of the "Russians" myself) but I'm not sure that these Alex should be considered Russian. The Russian mine ran out years before 2005 so unless GemsTV had a secret squirrel stash somewhere ........ Anyway, you get my point!

Needless to say, an Alex is an Alex and (for me) the best gem in the world! I think that we've all been exceptionally lucky to buy the Alex at prices/carat weights that we have in the past and I KNOW that these gems are ones that will make very very nice heirloom pieces for our grandchildren. Put it this way, try finding any Alex from any part of the world in sizes that we bought for the price we paid and you'll see what I mean!!!

*Takes off flak jacket and runs for cover*

LOL Totally agree, in fact any Alexandrite bought in recent years has to be questioned as to its origin. I would only give true antique pieces the benefit of the doubt tbh.

LOL Totally agree, in fact any Alexandrite bought in recent years has to be questioned as to its origin. I would only give true antique pieces the benefit of the doubt tbh.

And actually, antique pieces are the ones that I most definitely wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt to! Believe it or not, in most antique pieces you find synthetic/simulant Alex. :angry:

Well in that case I don't trust any of it. :mysmilie_61: But as I buy purely for enjoyment and not for investment purposes it doesn't keep me awake at night. :flower:

Well in that case I don't trust any of it. :mysmilie_61: But as I buy purely for enjoyment and not for investment purposes it doesn't keep me awake at night. :flower:

:song: Music to my ears! I wish everybody thought the same way!

Thanks all for your replies. I totaly agree if a stone is beautiful it doesn't matter one jot where it was actualy mined. I was just interested as there is quite a lot of hype over the Russian Alexandrite.
I'm afraid I also buy for my pleasure and not for any investment as my poor husband has learnt. I have often promised to maybe sell a few rings to make way for the new, but somehow it doesn't seem to happen:thinking:

Latest posts

Back