Windows

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

CountessK

Registered Shopper
Can someone explain to me what a window is and how you can tell if your gem has one if you don't have any real technical gem knowledge? I'd never heard of windowing until i started coming to this forum.

Reason I ask is because i bought a AAA tanzanite solitaire, and when it arrived there was something about it that just seemed 'off', as if when I looked at it one part didn't quite have the same colour intensity as the rest. I returned the ring, because at £300 I want it to be perfect, I didn't want to feel slightly concerned every time I looked at it. Does it sound like it was windowed, and can a AAA rated stone have windows?

I bought a 1ct diamond ring instead with my £300, and i just love it!

Sorry for rambly post, I should try to post a pic of my diamond ring, it was a regular recently, you'd all recognise it.

Cheers, CountessK.

With a properly cut gemstone, all the light entering the gem should be reflected off the back facets, meaning that you shouldn't be able to see through it when viewed straight on. Windowing occurs when the cut of the gem is too shallow, meaning that the back facets are at the wrong ange and light goes straight through the miiddle of the gem. You can tell if your gem has a window by placing it over some printed text: if the text is visible when viewed straight on (not at an angle), that's your window.

You definitely don't want to spend a lot of money on an expensive gem like AAA tanzy if you think it might have a window, as it really does diminish the beauty of the gem. Put a windowed gemstone next to a non-windowed one, and you'll immediately see the difference.

I have bought windowed gems before i new/understood about them, you live and learn lol
Here is a photo of one of my windowed paraibas.

Attachments

• 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 306
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 301
I have bought windowed gems before i new/understood about them, you live and learn lol
Here is a photo of one of my windowed paraibas.

GC - if you put that PT into another setting that has a more intricate basket underneath you MAY find that it closes the window somewhat.

GC - if you put that PT into another setting that has a more intricate basket underneath you MAY find that it closes the window somewhat.

Really, thats interesting, i thought my only option was to have it re-cut or sell it lol
I'll look into that (one day :sun:) as it is such a fab colour from other angles.

Attachments

• 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 230
No, I certainly wouldn't look at a recut. Funnily enough, I was going to have my 6ct PT re-cut and I was advised by 3 lapidaries not to touch it because it can dramatically alter the colour of the gem and of course the carat weight afterwards. I've seen a number of re-cuts where the colour has changed and I've got to say that I wouldn't risk recutting any of my PTs now. Yours is lovely so I would definitely try the new setting trick. I've just made a patio door of a window disappear with a more enclosed basket in a setting. What you need is a setting that has a decent closed basket (similar to the one in the photo below).

Thanks for the piccies ladies, lovely rings indeed. But though other gemstones can have windows, why is it that Paraiba Tourmalines seem to be the worst offenders.......over time we've seen some real specimens on the shopping channels!

CountessK - if you do a search for "windows" on this forum, you'll find a post I wrote a while ago that has photos so you can see what a window looks like and what causes it. One thing, don't confuse a window with a tilt window. One is not good but the other is a normal phenomena that can occur. A window is apparent when you're looking straight down into the gem. A tilt window will occur when you rotate the stone to the side and can see a lighter patch through one side. That's nothing to worry about and is caused by the facet placement.

Sasha - it's because any gem that is "rarer" than most, is normally cut to preserve weight which means that it may be cut too shallow, too deep etc. Alexandrites of over 1ct will often have windows.

Is windowimg evident in some stones more than others?

After reading through this thread and beginning to feel increasingly anxious I went and had a 'read' through a columbian emerald pendant I had bought a little while ago. As there are few facets on this stone I wonder if this has an effect on windowing or has my ignorance got the better of me?:sweat:

I posted a response on this thread a couple of days ago and received a response that it had to be given the OK. Not sure what is happening ...

Thanks for all your replies, ladies, very helpful.

Like I said, I returned the tanzy that I think was windowed, and I bought a diamond ring instead. Unfortunately one of the diamonds fell out after only 15 days on my finger, so I've returned that. I'm terribly disappointed, it was such a pretty ring.
http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/ProductDetail.aspx?StockCode=694509&ISFPC=true

I'm beginning to wonder if TJC is better on the cheapie items... I just got a fab pair of emerald cluster earrings for £30 and a very very pretty little heart shaped pendant with .25ct of diamonds (admittedly low quality diamonds) for £50, and I'm very pleased with them.
http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/ProductDetail.aspx?StockCode=694507&ISFPC=true

I did try to post a photo of the ring, but it's too much of a palaver: apparently the image was the wrong size or something. Sorry!

Latest posts

Back