Do Rocks & Co Have Special Lighting?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Miss Kitty

AKA Broomstick Babe
I must say that Rocks & Co seem to have some very sparkly pieces. Makes me think they are using different lighting to QVC & Gems/Rocks.

Anyone know if this is true?

Yes they do. Look how blue/white the lighting is. It's particularly obvious when they pull back and you see the studio/presenter. It's very misleading.

I think you must be right because I ordered an Ambanjo (?) demantoid garnet ring, the first piece from Rocks&Co in a very long time. I'd bought a little demantoid ring from Gems during the sale, but sent it back because it was very dainty and I prefer larger pieces - silly me! The ring from Rocks looked larger and the demantoids so very sparkly, so I thought I'd go for it as I regret sending the other one back.
Well, they just looked like a row of very ordinary little stones when I received it yesterday, even in sunlight they weren't particularly sparkly, so they must do something special with their lighting, I'd love to know what. Needless to say, the ring has gone straight back. I've sent them an email to say that I am cancelling the Contract and am looking forward to a full refund plus the cost of delivery as stated in the distance selling rules. I noticed on the back of their despatch note that they specifically state that they do not refund delivery charges in case of cancellation of Contract, but that sounds like a breach of rules to me. I'll see what their reaction is and will let you know.

I think you must be right because I ordered an Ambanjo (?) demantoid garnet ring, the first piece from Rocks&Co in a very long time. I'd bought a little demantoid ring from Gems during the sale, but sent it back because it was very dainty and I prefer larger pieces - silly me! The ring from Rocks looked larger and the demantoids so very sparkly, so I thought I'd go for it as I regret sending the other one back.
Well, they just looked like a row of very ordinary little stones when I received it yesterday, even in sunlight they weren't particularly sparkly, so they must do something special with their lighting, I'd love to know what. Needless to say, the ring has gone straight back. I've sent them an email to say that I am cancelling the Contract and am looking forward to a full refund plus the cost of delivery as stated in the distance selling rules. I noticed on the back of their despatch note that they specifically state that they do not refund delivery charges in case of cancellation of Contract, but that sounds like a breach of rules to me. I'll see what their reaction is and will let you .

Me too! I've just sent back a demantoid garnet cluster ring which did not have the sparkle it had on tv. It just looked like pale peridot and I want something more wow for something over £300.

Along with it went several sapphire pieces that had average or low grade stones. I know they may be diffused but I did expect them to be top class, which they weren't.

I too have claimed back the original p&p under DSR, so I am waiting to see what they say.

Will post when I hear more.

When they do a shot of the ring and presenter the shot looks over exposed or like the contrast is up to max. This must be due to the lighting they use and like Rocks and Gems they use the lighting in the desk pointing up so it lights the gem from underneath but unlike the others it seems much brighter.

Why they do these things heaven only knows. They must know people will just return it if it doesn't sparkle as much as on TV.

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And don't forget that the camera gets very very close up, making the gem seem a lot bigger than it really is. When you get it home, its usually a lot smaller than you thought it was on TV.

I think their lighting must be similar to the halogen lighting at home or in jewellers shops. Whenever I look at any of my rings under my kitchen spotlights, they sparkle beautifully, although not so much in daylight or ordinary lighting.

They were questioned this week if they used a special lens (star?) which they certainly denied.

I think lots of the sparkle etc effect is due to the extreem magnification we see on the TV or net. The colour also can never really be replicated on the screen, afterall we've probably all got our own screens set with different colour highlights, contrasts and brilliance etc.

Size can be distorted on the TV too (I learnt the hard way) so I now sit with at ruler handy and I know the sizes of stones in my favourite rings so I know roughly how they will suit my finger. :nod:

ALL of the shopping channels that sell jewellery use special lighting to make the gems look their best. I know this for a fact because somebody who used to work at one of the channels told me. If you think about it, it's just marketing. If it were your "shop" you'd show off the wares to their best advantage too!

The lighting isn't the same as halogens. I can't recall exactly what I was told but I know it was something to do with the brightness, blueness and there was something else which escapes me!

Me too! I've just sent back a demantoid garnet cluster ring which did not have the sparkle it had on tv. It just looked like pale peridot and I want something more wow for something over £300.

Along with it went several sapphire pieces that had average or low grade stones. I know they may be diffused but I did expect them to be top class, which they weren't.

I too have claimed back the original p&p under DSR, so I am waiting to see what they say.

Will post when I hear more.

Well folks, Rocks & Co refunded both postage amounts!

Latest posts

Back