Wow Scott I'm really impressed!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

argeybargey

Retired - Don't Quite Fit
not - or am I losing my sense of humour?

10.00 a.m. under £50 hour green diamond silver necklace - Scott "actually - don't put any graphics in yet - do me a favour and type in the word necklace in the graphics. I want to include the necklace with this pendant and still do it under £50 ..............". More blah with constant reference to "I'm throwing in the necklace". This is very close to a precise quote but may be a word or two out, I don't do shorthand.

In a matter of a few seconds the producer had apparently "changed" the graphics on the telly, as well as throughout all the text on the website which of course, as usual, had amazingly come up almost immediately. Impressive?

I'll go along with some of the game, but not deception. People were being led to believe that they were somehow getting something free and by courtesy of Scott. I'm sure most of us know that this "I'm in charge" presenting style is a game and go along with it to a point, but when you hear this type of crapola how on earth are we supposed to trust anything else presenters say.

I'd hoped we'd seen an end to this sort of stuff. Very disappointing.

xxxxxxx

PS Clearly I'm watching too much of this stuff, so I shall stop that right away.

Last edited:
I didn't see it Arge as I don't watch this channel now, but all the presenters do it, only some can bullsh*t more convincingly than others. :rolleyes:

Yeah Sue, sadly I know that, but Scott is a serious and serial offender, and I had rather hoped that the Bennetts might have reined them in a bit when it comes to lies (silly me). This rubbish continued right through the whole auction. The last year at old Gems was all getting a bit desperate, so I turned a blind eye up to a point, but was hoping for better now that degree of heat is off. I notice too that presenters who hadn't been shouty before (i.e. Angeline) but became so during that latter year, continue to bawl at us. xxxxx

Scott, if you read this, that performance is what I meant by "sailing too close to the wind" when I said you were "tricky".

Oh I'm not making excuses for him hon, in fact the more implausible a presenter is the more likely I am to just switch off. Ms 'I will spout any old crap to get a sale' Marshall is my particular bugbear for doing it. :headbang:

Oh dear Argey, hope you're not tuned in atm as Scotty has been drafted in for an extra slot to cover for another presenter in absentia!

I didn't see the incident you mention above, but I have noticed recently that the other presenters seem to be more involved in deciding price crashes and final prices than they used to be.....saw Ruth doing it last night for example.

I must admit to having a soft spot for Scott, as I find him more watchable and entertaining than some of the rather 'shouty' ladies that we see on the channel. :blush:
xxxxx

I used to like Scott too Sacha, but after a 'Santa Maria' aquamarine incident (I think Argey knows the one I'm talking about), I now wouldn't trust him further than I can throw him. That's really unfortunate because it stops me from watching him and thus buying anything.
I saw Lynn on the other night and she was going on about I, I, I as well. I'll never let you down, I'll do this, I won't do that - you'd have thought she was running the channel single-handedly. She constantly repeated 'Nobody pays any more than everybody else, everybody pays the final low price' and just never stopped for breath with the sales spiel. I turned over to Rocks and Alan was on - what a breath of fresh air. He was calm and a pleasure to listen to and watch. Many of the presenters could take a very big leaf out of his book. I'm afraid I'm rapidly going off this channel.

I agree about Alan. He's risen rapidly up the ranks in my estimation, and is probably now my favourite although I do still like Drew, Matt, Carol and Rodderley. I know Carol can be a little loud for some of you, but I think she's really funny, nice to look at and modest. I even had to turn Ruthie down the other day, a first. I can only assume that they are using these methods under instruction. xxxxx

I think that at the end of the day, it's the quality of the jewellery that you have to focus on and just accept that the presenters are basically salesmen and saleswomen. My mother used to describe shopping telly presenters as nicely dressed market traders, doing their sales patter on national television!

I like Scott but agree that sometimes the "I'm throwing in the chain for the price" comes across as a bit naff, so at the end of the day I just think that if I'm willing to pay the price for the article that I see, then I don't mind too much what they say on screen. If I don't like it when it arrives or think that the quality is poor, then i can send it back.

I do like most of the presenters but sometimes I have to watch with the sound turned down if they get over-excited! But at the end of the day I've purchased some lovely pieces of jewellery from Gems over the years and enjoy seeing new designs and gemstones and I'd never have been able to afford them at high street prices, so for me it's worth a bit of sales patter now and then!

I understand what you're saying Lucky Lady and to a point agree with much of it. It is all a big game but they should not be allowed to mislead any more than any other seller. We here are either fully aware and/or have educated one another, but there are a lot of folk out there who will be believing the friendly faced, jolly guy on the telly, as he slowly draws the cash out of their purses.

I am particularly concerned about the elderly, lonely, or less well educated. You've only to see how many people actually believe that these presenters are their friends because they chat to them on facebook or some other networking site. This is simply dedication to the job, and the need to keep the customers to themselves rather than letting them go to another. These are not genuine friendship in most cases. Some of them may even have brainwashed themselves into believing they are making friends of their customers. xxxxxxx

I'm afraid that focusing on the quality (or lack thereof) is a sure fire way of ensuring your money stays in your pocket. I don't know about anybody else but (a) goldweight has diminished (b) gemstones are "samey" and (c) designs aren't exciting or new. It used to be the case that you couldn't beat the price for the jewellery and had access to gemstones that were incredibly difficult to get elsewhere unless you knew where to look. Now, I'm finding it much more difficult to find anything remotely desirable. When I look at some of my collection and then compare it to what's on offer now, there's just no comparison.

I wonder if the drop in sales has resulted in this over-selling, almost misleading sales pitch that some presenters have adopted?

Such a shame.

Tell you what's really getting on my wick at the moment is that oft repeated -
Clothes Show Live 2009 advert........aaarggghh! :mysmilie_505:

I may be completely cynical and grumpy, but I don't believe the presenters have any control over prices. They are salespeople and most of them are very good at it. Like many, I would watch when Steve B was presenting, figuring he was the only one who did have control and it would be bargain town - which it sometimes was! In the end it's a business and they know exactly what they are doing. When I first started watching Gems then Rocks I knew nothing about gemstones and it was a great learning experience. Now I notice the sales more, perhaps because I know a bit more about the gems. For me it all comes down to the simple statement: if I like it and I am happy to pay the price then it's fine. Though sometimes better with the sound off! :giggle:

Last edited:
I'm afraid that focusing on the quality (or lack thereof) is a sure fire way of ensuring your money stays in your pocket. I don't know about anybody else but (a) goldweight has diminished (b) gemstones are "samey" and (c) designs aren't exciting or new.
Such a shame.
Is that a tactful way of saying it's crap now Meesh?? :mysmilie_845:

I get annoyed when they look at the next item for sale and make out like there is only one of them as in oh this must be lorique, then the shocked face when they notice there is 5 for sale. I am sure when they decide what is going in their hour they also know the quantity and if not that what range it is from so will know if it is a one off or not.

Please "The Bennetts" can you cut the sort of things mentioned in this thread in the bud? You sell great gems and amazing prices, backed up with great customer service. This is your USP, as a customer if I am finding it hard to believe certain aspects of what the presenter is saying, then a find I am trusting the other stuff they say too. Just how I feel.

PJ

This morning we had Fiona constantly saying "we've got ........ of these to give away". Now we've got Vicki, I'm sure this woman writes small print in her spare time. The gobbledy gook and open-mouthed overacting is a constant and massive insult to my intelligence and the last straw. I really need to have some volume on in order to hear what's happening while I get on with other things (I do have a life), but if it's just going to be a constant irritation as it has been of late, then this is the parting of the ways. xxxxxxxx

Hi All,

We do read and take all of your comments on board. We have a training session very soon and will pass on all of your thoughts to the team then.

In the meantime please always feel free to email us with feedback etc..

Kind Regards

Sarah Bennett

Hi Sarah, and thank you for responding. Please watch back Angeline selling a chrome diopside ring in the under £20 hour at approx 11.50 - 12.00 noon. Absolutely appalling. xx

Hi All,

We do read and take all of your comments on board. We have a training session very soon and will pass on all of your thoughts to the team then.

In the meantime please always feel free to email us with feedback etc..

Kind Regards

Sarah Bennett

Hi Sarah

Thanks for your comment and I think it's great that you read these posts and take the points on board. I think that the fact we care enough to make critical comments actually reflects the fact that we enjoy buying our jewellery off the telly - I know that there will always be an element of salesman/womanship involved because that's what you are doing as a business - selling jewellery! It's the obvious acting that irritates those of us who've been watching and buying for a long time, it's just a bit patronising really to think that we can't work all of that stuff out. I'd just love to be able to watch again without rolling my eyes at every other comment.

But I love the jewellery I've had from Gems over the years(and my first big topaz ring from Rocks last month which is gorgeous!) and love when the presenters tell us lots of information about jewellery and gemstones, it would be great if we could get more of that. Since you re-acquired Gems, it's quite clear that teh presenters and staff are very happy to be back under your ownership, they seem to be much more relaxed and enjoy the presenting which is good.

Anyway good luck for the future with the new group and I'm looking forward to seeing more gorgeous jewellery at good prices, whether it's a little silver ring or one of your Lorique pieces, it's still the best way to my mind of buying jewellery!:happy:

Lucky Lady

Latest posts

Back