A question for the owners

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Happygolucky

Registered Shopper
Hello all
I'm new here but have bought lots from gems TV over the years. My neighbours son works for gems tv and she tells me that the quantity on the screen doesn't represent the quantity you have in stock. ??
I thought that if you have 10 rings in the quantity that meant you only have 10 in stock and every time one comes off that quantity that means someone has bought one. But I have been told that's not the case And you will put less in the quantity as it makes people feel they have to hurry to buy it, but you often sell say 30 rings in an auction that had a quantity of 10 on the screen. Also she tells me that the producer takes the quantity down and it's not really anything to do with people buying it, just something you do to get people feeling they need to hurry .

Is this true as it feels very cheeky, plus I am pretty slow at getting to my phone sometimes and it would be nice to know that I don't need to hurry so much

thanks
D

Sorry, I am not an owner and I am easily confused. But I would have thought that it meant that they don't always put all their stock in one auction. Maybe they made and have in stock 100 of a certain ring, but only put 20 in a particular auction. Sounds too simple, so I must be wrong! :confused: I would agree, however, that when there are only a few in an auction you feel they are much more limited and you do hurry in to grab one. Marketing, I suppose!

PS welocme to the forum!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Again I am not the owner but just saying what I think. I agree with concordia that they may not put the whole stock of 1 item in the auction, hence they will have more in stock after the auction finishes. Sometimes peeps will phoned back to see if they have more in stock and hence added to order, but I am pretty sure that once they sell the quantity on screen the auction closes.

I would also say that the producer would not be allowed to take the quantity down unless peeps buy or the channel would be shut down!!

Hopefully Sarah/John or Steve will come and confirm for you.

Although you haven't named her, I'm sure your "friend" would be mortified to know that you had posted this here. xx

I would agree with the other posters about the quantity - as it's a falling auction, they wouldn't necessarily put the entire stock in, as this would take time to sell, and could result in an item being sold for next to nothing, as airtime is very expensive so they wouldn't want to dwell too long on 1 item.

I believe that shopping telly world is heavily regulated, so any shenanigans would be dealt with severely by the necessary regulatory body.

Thanks all
the reason I ask is that I phoned up to buy a ring last month and the presenter said they only had one of them. I spoke to the call center and they confirmed I had bought it, but the quantity still said one on screen, but then the presenter said someone else was on the line and if they pressed 1 they could get it, but I had just bought it? 3 minutes later she congratulated the OTHER person..

I was a bit unhappy as they didn't say my name lol

Welcome....

Welcome to the forum Happygolucky.....:wave:

This business of reducing numbers of items on each auction, as shown on the screen, has always seemed slightly contrary to me. I bid using a computer (never been a fan of having to phone up - for different reasons) and sometimes I've seen the quantity drop after I've bid and sometimes it hasn't! Whether its the computer taking time to catch up with sales or something else, I don't know.

It used to be, way back, that the presenters had their own monitors in or on their desks and could see who was buying what and also their buying record. I don't know if they are now fed this info by their producer, through their earpieces and if this is the case there could be a time lag between real time buying and them being told who the buyers are.

But it should be the case that if there is only one item shown for auction, there should be only one successful buyer!
(I tend to ignore these as you have to phone in to buy) Apologies for the rambling reply. :blush:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Again I am not the owner but just saying what I think. I agree with concordia that they may not put the whole stock of 1 item in the auction, hence they will have more in stock after the auction finishes. Sometimes peeps will phoned back to see if they have more in stock and hence added to order, but I am pretty sure that once they sell the quantity on screen the auction closes.

I would also say that the producer would not be allowed to take the quantity down unless peeps buy or the channel would be shut down!!

Hopefully Sarah/John or Steve will come and confirm for you.

I would agree with the other posters about the quantity - as it's a falling auction, they wouldn't necessarily put the entire stock in, as this would take time to sell, and could result in an item being sold for next to nothing, as airtime is very expensive so they wouldn't want to dwell too long on 1 item.

I believe that shopping telly world is heavily regulated, so any shenanigans would be dealt with severely by the necessary regulatory body.

I think happygolucky means they put 10 on screen but actually sell 30 (but make you believe they only have 10 to sell so you hurry more).

Hi everyone

just to confirm the following:

The quantity on screen does not always reflect the full amount we have in our warehouse, we may put 10 in an auction and still have more available for another day.

Producers can not take the quanity down on screen until a phone bidder has hit the number one key on their phone and for web bidders the quantity is automatically reduced from the screen (even if this sometimes takes a few seconds to register).

Hope this all makes sense

regards
steve

Hi everyone

just to confirm the following:

The quantity on screen does not always reflect the full amount we have in our warehouse, we may put 10 in an auction and still have more available for another day.

Producers can not take the quanity down on screen until a phone bidder has hit the number one key on their phone and for web bidders the quantity is automatically reduced from the screen (even if this sometimes takes a few seconds to register).

Hope this all makes sense

regards
steve

Hi Steven
wow. brill that the actual owner comes out and talks to the customers, i think thats fantastic....:happy:

I have a couple of questions about your reply though, i hope you don't mind...

Firstly. If you put 10 on screen will you only sell 10? if i phone up and 10 people have already bought will i get one?

secondly, you said if someone presses 1, thats when 1 comes off the screen and the presenter says 'one has been sold', but pressing 1 just gets you through to the call centre, so they haven't necessarily bought it.

i am just trying to work out how quick i need to be in getting to my phone..

D

Hi

Let me answer as quickly as i can as i have got to go and prepare as i am presenting 6 hours this evening.

Firstly. If you put 10 on screen will you only sell 10? if i phone up and 10 people have already bought will i get one?

answer: If 10 is all we have in stock no you won't be able to purchase one. If someone in front of you hangs up or does not complete the order yes you will.

secondly, you said if someone presses 1, thats when 1 comes off the screen and the presenter says 'one has been sold', but pressing 1 just gets you through to the call centre, so they haven't necessarily bought it.

answer: You are correct, the presenter should not say "one has been sold" and in-fact they are all trained not to say that, what they often will do is call out of the name of the person coming on the phone. Of course the sale really does not happen till 30 days after someone gets the jewellery home.

i am just trying to work out how quick i need to be in getting to my phone..

answer: Its always best to phone as soon as you see an item you like, this will normally avoid disappointment, not matter when you call everyone pays the final lowest price and we are fanatical about making our prices the best in the market at all times.

best wishes

Steve
Must go and do my nails right now!

Latest posts

Back