Loose Tanzanite Stones

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sacha

Keep calm - Log on
There have been some loose AAA Tanzanite stones being sold today (by Angeline and Nick). Of various shapes and sizes from over 1ct to a whopper of over 9cts and the one thing they had in common was a lovely depth of colour. But I noticed they were in random sizes eg the last oval was 8.45mm x 10.63mm.

My question is........does it have a significant bearing on the cost and level of difficulty to have these stones set
in a ring or pendant when they are not cut in standard calibrated sizes? Btw they came with a certificate of
authenticity from Jaipur.

MTIA

No difference in price Sacha. The real value of a coloured gemstone is in its colour and clarity. The fact that it may not be calibrated is secondary. Most of the gems I buy are uncalibrated (ie. not standard sizes). So long as they're not something odd like 15 x 3 or 12 x 5 etc then so long as they're near to a standard size i.e. 6 x 4, 7 x 5, 10 x 8 etc you should be able to find a ready made setting (or have one adjusted slightly) to accommodate your stone. In your example, either a 10 x 8 or 11 x 9 setting would work (dependent on the style).

BTW certified in Jaipur - by whom? Unless it's one of the recognised gem labs, I'd take the certification with a pinch of salt.

PM me if you want the names of the places I buy settings from!

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful info Meesh. I didn't in fact buy one, but they did sell quite quickly....just a one-off in each case.

Steve B came on and explained he had gone to the 'top labs in Jaipur' and each piece came with a printed certificate of details, picture and a hologram. They were shown on screen.

I believe these were brand new stock, don't know if we'll be seeing anymore of them. But it would be very interesting to hear from any buyers after they have received their gemstone......if they are either readers or contributors to this forum.

Could've been....only saw the certificate briefly and it had a heading at top of sheet, something like Gems Testing Laboratories in blue text...if that's of any help.

Just tuned into GTV and Ruth will be selling a loose AAA Tanzy later on, perhaps she'll show the cert again.

Just on now!

Mmmmmmm - not sure that what Ruth is saying is accurate! She's implying that if you get a 1ct for say £1, then 2ct wouldn't be £2 and 3ct, £3 - she's implied that the larger the stone the higher £ per carat which is wrong. Generally speaking, it's the opposite.

She's also said the price is rising! I'm gobsmacked because the price has dropped enormously!

The stone itself (on now) is ok. Pretty, good cut and nice colour. Ruth showed the cert but not who actually did the report. Very odd!

Latest posts

Back