£500 for a cake pattern maker

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

beachc0mber

Registered Shopper
Ideal World have lately been showing some extremly expensive kitchen items,but this has to take the biscuit.£500 for a cake decoration maker? who buys these things? how many times would you have to use it to make it worthwhile, seems very noisy too.
no wonder they can afford to send so many people over to demo it.

I don't like how someting sell in the States for $399 (converts to £255) is sold for so much in the UK.

Both Cricut and Ideal World should get their priceing correct.

I guess if you sold cakes it could be a good idea, but its not for the casual user at that price !

Ideal World have lately been showing some extremly expensive kitchen items,but this has to take the biscuit.£500 for a cake decoration maker? who buys these things? how many times would you have to use it to make it worthwhile, seems very noisy too.

I expect cake makers would buy it...remember you don't have to buy an item just because it's on the TV

I don't like how someting sell in the States for $399 (converts to £255) is sold for so much in the UK.

Both Cricut and Ideal World should get their priceing correct.

A few reasons:

1) Different voltages means it costs more to design a power supply/test it works correctly to make it compliant with country regulations.
2) Guarantees: we in Europe enjoy better protection than North America. Far better and they have to comply to sell here. If its made in the USA it will cost them more to export it.
3) Profit: its a niche product in a niche market hence you can charge a lot more for it as it won't be sold in large numbers. Add to the above 2, its not that surprising costs are more for an imported item.
4) Import duty. Mr Customs & Excise will demand his part.

Though £500 for a cake decorator is still eye-watering! Must admit it was an unusual thing to see on Ideal World but at least it is different from the usual fayre :cool: (Long may the oddities continue because it would be boring otherwise)

It is a shame that the 'new' stuff is such 'niche' stuff. I also noticed the Agility kit for your pet pooch - a bunch of sticks, a plastic mat and a tube for £100.

Surely such niche stuff can't be good for returning business?

Good on them for trying new stuff though

All Provocraft products can be found cheaper elsewhere, the Cake may not be available anywhere else yet, but I expect it will be cheaper than Ideal World. I have a Cricut and a Cuttlebug and got them online far cheaper than Ideal World! Their recent Cuttlebug offer was a rip off, QVC beat them on price on this one several months ago!

All Provocraft products can be found cheaper elsewhere, the Cake may not be available anywhere else yet, but I expect it will be cheaper than Ideal World. I have a Cricut and a Cuttlebug and got them online far cheaper than Ideal World! Their recent Cuttlebug offer was a rip off, QVC beat them on price on this one several months ago!

Most things are cheaper anywhere else than Ideal World, don't think it will be long before they go out of buisness.

I expect cake makers would buy it...remember you don't have to buy an item just because it's on the TV

thank you for reminding me i dont need to buy an item just because its on tv. i presume i am however allowed to comment on the item?

The one upside to all this is that if you are interested in one of these gadgets, you get to see it demonstrated for hours on end. I like this when gadgets and gizmos are on, at least you get to see it in action first...

I'd rather spend the £500 on cake. Don't care if it's got any pretty designs on it. :)

I've seen it advertised in a craft magazine at a UK craft shop for £299 which is still expensive for a cake decorating machine but a much better price than £499.

Latest posts

Back