Best place for discount jewellery ??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Happygolucky

Registered Shopper
I am no expert, but it seems GEMS TV suffers constant criticism for poor gold weights, rubbish diamonds, overpriced gem stones and misleading presenters...

They always claim to be the best place for bargains, but are they really? And if they aren't who is?

This is my opinion only, based on my experience - take it or leave it!!!

GemsTV/RocksTV/Coloured Rocks are now all one company. They are good for costume like jewellery (i.e. silver jewellery) and also the lower end market jewellery - apologies as I don't mean to offend anybody saying this. Dire gold weights and truly dreadful quality diamonds are, unfortunately, the norm. The higher end jewellery (i.e. Lorique) is seriously overpriced and not as good as you'll get elsewhere. Some of their loose gemstones are good quality and a good deal, others much less so. Although they do have some of their gems certified, they are generally from much smaller labs and I (personally) would prefer a report from a reputable lab.

TJC - superb middle and higher end jewellery with fabulous diamonds. If you have the cash then there are most definitely bargains to be had. The lower end jewellery can be a bit iffy and hit and miss. Some items are superb, others much less so. On the whole though generally TJC offers good value for money. They don't often have loose gemstones but the ones they have are normally of good quality (particularly the Tanzanite). They also have some certified by reputable gem labs which is always a plus.

Rocks&Co - I won't waste my time other than to say, expensive, carp and wouldn't give them a penny of my money!

As for presenters? There are good and bad on each channel. Most are like Marmite - you either love or hate them!

So where do you go for bargains? It depends on your budget and what it is you're trying to buy.

I am no expert, but it seems GEMS TV suffers constant criticism for poor gold weights, rubbish diamonds, overpriced gem stones and misleading presenters...

They always claim to be the best place for bargains, but are they really? And if they aren't who is?

You have to remember they are selling, of course every item is a bargain. I buy jewellery as I am blingaholic and don't get sucked into sales patter.

I watch all the shopping channels and then decide what I like or would like to pay. I have bought lots from gems and rocks in the past but currently I feel they are all the same old same old. Lovely as it is to have SB own all 3 + 1 (JM) channels, if they don't differentiate the channels I am afraid its just 3 channels rolled into 1!!

I agree with Meeshoo as currently I am more inclined to wach and buy from TJC.

QVC last click, you can pick some bargains too!

I don't think we'll see the like of old Gems again. "A family owned business" is going to struggle to keep quantity stocks of good quality jewellery. On the whole I like Steve & Co and do wish them every success, but trying to do a Tesco's of the jewellery world too fast is resulting in poor quality and unimaginative jewellery on both channels.

I know a lot of folk are moaning about TJC's under days, but for some of us they are fun and for TJC they are clearly bringing in the bread and butter. For the dissenters I would suggest that you put up with, what is only after all, three days a week of cheapies to enable them to survive on sufficient profits that they can afford to make, stock and sell top end goodies.

As for presenters, my personal hate is for this fast growing pots and pans type of selling. Give me the quiet, professional and knowledgeable style any day, (real knowledge that is, and not fake Vicki C type gobbledygook), particularly if they want me to watch for long periods. xxxxxx

I'm sorry to say that I agree. Gems tv just seems a bit tatty and the presenters lack credability and come across like used car salesman. Even when I like a piece a find it hard to believe it's a good deal, no matter how much the presenter tries to assure me I'm getting the 'deal of the decade' I feel like i'm being conned somehow. I guess I just don't trust em'.... Sorry gems, but I believe the emails that tell me I have won the Nigerian lottery, more than I believe your presenters !!

I have been buying from Rockstv for some time - much as Meeshoo said for costume-type jewellery. At that end of the market I think it is pretty good. I have bought higher end stuff from Gemstv in the past and I am waiting to see whether it does indeed go a bit more upmarket again.
As far as the presenters are concerned - they are sales people. I understand that and I neither like them nor dislike them. Some amuse me and some irritate me - and not always the ones that appear to do the same to others. at the end of the day they are irrelevant to what I buy.
I must say that I have bought a lot and sent quite a bit back when it hasn't matched expectations and I have had no trouble what so ever with this.
I buy what I think I'll like and keep it if I do.

I have been buying from Rockstv for some time - much as Meeshoo said for costume-type jewellery. At that end of the market I think it is pretty good. I have bought higher end stuff from Gemstv in the past and I am waiting to see whether it does indeed go a bit more upmarket again.
As far as the presenters are concerned - they are sales people. I understand that and I neither like them nor dislike them. Some amuse me and some irritate me - and not always the ones that appear to do the same to others. at the end of the day they are irrelevant to what I buy.I must say that I have bought a lot and sent quite a bit back when it hasn't matched expectations and I have had no trouble what so ever with this.
I buy what I think I'll like and keep it if I do.

I understand your viewpoint completely but, although I cannot recall a presenter persuading me to buy, if I distrust/dislike a presenter then I'm not watching so not buying. Gems was once a total addiction for me. but I hardly watch at all now and entirely due to shouty and iffy presenting. I don't think I'm unusual in this, and personally I believe presenters can make or break. If a channel's got too many unpopular ones then people won't be watching at all, or watching with the sound off leaving the viewer susceptible to distraction. Neither make good business sense, and are a disappointment for us. I very much doubt that channel bosses can truly know the extent of a presenter's unpopularity as ordinary folk are generally nice (contrary to what we may believe from time to time) and less likely to complain about a named individual than to support. xxxxxx

Actually - there are a couple on Gems that I don't trust..... I do switch off! Hmmmmm, maybe my argument is less than water-tight!

Latest posts

Back