Stupid spin gym...or stupid me?!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I was browsing through the IW website last week and noticed that they had the spin gym thingy reduced, I'd seen it demonstrated, thought despite it being quite small and simple looking (like me it would seem!) that it would be great for toning your upper body especially the arms. Something I could keep in my bag and not have to haul out every time I wanted to do a little exercise.

It turned up today, it's a small circular weight on a double length of cord, with a metal ring at each end, hold the rings, wind it round a few times, then give it a tug and it sort of acts like elastic, therefore giving your arms a resistance work out....uh, not for me it doesn't. I just can't get the hang of it. I wind it up like they say, you can feel the resistance for about half a turn, then it's completely unwound itself right back to the start. I'll keep trying, but I can see this one being thrown out of the window tbh..at least then I might get a bit of excerise from it...Ie going downstairs and asking if I can retrieve the aforementioned piece of junk from their garden! So frustrating, I know it was dead cheap, and I know that it does work, i've seen the demos..just can't get the flamin' hang of it...agghhh!

Persevere. They are good and once you get the knack they do work. The trick is that when you pull it apart you immediately relax the arms, and then before it become slack and begins to hang you pull again. You can get about 50-60 'pulls' per 30 seconds. And you do feel your muscles burning.

Is there another retailer of this product? IW is sold out and I think it might help me. The powerball took me a few attempts but now I have no problem so do keep trying with your spingym.

Thank you for the link Rebus, I knew qvc had an item similar to spingym but couldn't remember the name. Will give it a try :)

I had to laugh when I saw this product on IW.
It's an obvious copy of a common toy - but at a hugely inflated price.

I bought one of these at a school fair and here they are online for less than £1.

http://www.toyday.co.uk/shop/wooden-toys/button-spinner/prod_3323.html

You can fit them in your handbag and get them out whenever you want and guaranteed to make your arms ache like mad so they must be doing something!!

Don't be deceived into thinking you're getting something much better just because it costs nearly 20 times as much, because I doubt it.

Last edited:
I had to make one for a physics class. I'm willing to be conned as I can't be bothered to go sourcing a metal disc of specific weight or likewise the rings. Besides if I paid for it I will use it :grin:

LOL Vampyre
I don't think personally the metal disc weight is that important. I'm no physics expert but when something's spinning at that speed, you don't feel the weight because of the momentum.
The exercise bit comes from the effort you have to put in pulling/untwisting the ropes.

By definition momentum is dependent on the mass as well as the velocity of a moving object.

I've kept trying, but I just CANNOT get the hang of it! I wish they'd emphasised that there is a "knack" to this, 'cause I'm not usually very good when it comes to learning curves so to speak...I would't have bought it! Just glad it didn't cost too much...might take it along to the pub when I next meet my friends for a drink, whomever can master it can keep it. Really can't be hassled to send it back for the sake of £15 especially when I'm going to have to cover the cost of return as it's not faulty...it's just me!

Merryone never let anyone especially me talk you into buying a powerball. I love mine and use it very often but Mrs Bates has never got it working even once having really tried. Maybe one of your friends might impart the knack to you and enable you to have super toned arms.

Merryone never let anyone especially me talk you into buying a powerball. I love mine and use it very often but Mrs Bates has never got it working even once having really tried. Maybe one of your friends might impart the knack to you and enable you to have super toned arms.

What's a powerball? I've never heard of them. Do they do roughly the same thing as the spingym

Powerball works on the lower arm and wrist in particular but without bulking them up. I was ill a few years ago and my left arm was left very weak and this helped enormously and being easy I like using it.
I have this model http://goo.gl/3R7i

I got a Gyroball (Powerball) from Aldi a couple of weeks ago; my daughter and husband can both do it, but it's frustratingly beyond me :(

Thanks Vampyre, not holding out much hope though! I also bought a weighted hula hoop and I'm pants at that too - I was at the back of the queue when they were giving out co-ordination :doh:

I have rubbish coordination too, when I'm learning to use something I have to be distraction free and really concentrate but when I get the knack it seems to stay.

Latest posts

Back