Illiterate!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
The banner at the top of this page:

"One Of The Three Most Beautiful Stones Ever Came [sic] Across By Man"... oh dear!

Bizarre claim, too... I think the three most beautiful stones are rainbow moonstone, kunzite and bi-coloured tourmaline. It's pretty subjective!

Oh, dear - it gets worse! Take a look at this banner on TJC's website:

Attachments

• TJC banner.jpg
    TJC banner.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 253
Somebody needs to be hauled over the coals (or should that be 'halled over the coles'?). Surely a large company such as TJC must have access to first-class spelling and grammar checking software?

(Hope I've got all my grammar and spelling correct to-day :giggle:)

Surely they must have a "human" proof reader who should pick up this sort of thing? A very sad sign of the times I'm afraid. I keep seeing "should/would/could of" in print lately and not as quotes. xxxxx

It's really annoying, but for me the one that takes the biscuit is the promo for Colombian emeralds they run with an expert telling us all about them and in the background is a large poster with 'ColUmbian Emeralds'. Some of the mistakes are just typos I think, but this one is just pure ignorance and please don't get me started on bad grammar. :headbang:

Somebody needs to be hauled over the coals (or should that be 'halled over the coles'?). Surely a large company such as TJC must have access to first-class spelling and grammar checking software?

(Hope I've got all my grammar and spelling correct to-day :giggle:)

Is that the Cheryl Coles?

Grammar checking software is far from perfect. I've just entered that sentence in a Word document and it didn't pick up the mistake! It mixes up all sorts of things, like Its and It's, telling me things are wrong when I know they're right, and vice versa. No wonder today's students are confused... I'm always hearing people mixing up their past tenses, saying things like, 'He should of ran,' instead of, 'He should have run.'

But professional companies should know better! It makes me mad too, Miss Magpie! :headbang: And like you say, an odd claim to make.

The thing is, it's just so unprofessional, and might well give the casual viewer the impression that TJC are a bunch of fly-by-night cowboys. We know that this is definitely not the case, and that they are in fact a reputable company selling quality jewellery, but they're not doing thesmelves any favours, are they?

The thing is, it's just so unprofessional, and might well give the casual viewer the impression that TJC are a bunch of fly-by-night cowboys. We know that this is definitely not the case, and that they are in fact a reputable company selling quality jewellery, but they're not doing thesmelves any favours, are they?

:giggle:

QVC's spelling often leaves a lot to be desired too!! shocking for such a company!

The one thing that drives me mad is the programme guide on TJC website, it has ALWAYS been 1 hour ahead!
Why have they never spotted it and put it right?

One thing that really annoys me (apart from the mispronunciation of Chalcedony etc) is when they say "One to Owns" instead of Ones to Own! Basic English I would have thought. Just heard SS saying "we have two One to Owns today" !!!!

Latest posts

Back