TV shopping firm is back in profit

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

fhl

Registered Shopper

A CITY-BASED TV shopping firm has announced multimillion pound profits in the first half of this year.

Ideal Shopping Direct (ISD), based in Newark Road, Peterborough, posted pre-tax profits of £2.9 million for the first six months of 2010 up to July 4.

The firm’s interim results published yesterday said the channel, which is one of the UK’s biggest home shopping retailers, had tackled “significant problems” since it recorded losses of £1.2 million in the same period in 2009.

Chief executive Mike Hancox said: “Many other retailers remain cautious about consumer confidence but we are optimistic that we can continue to grow sales with our unique multi-channel business model.”

The interim report said sales increased by 19.3 per cent to £56.6 million in the half year with the figure up 11.4 per cent compared with the same period in 2009.

Internet sales lifted by 58 per cent to £16.3 million and now represent around a third of all revenue.
Trading in the first eight weeks of the second half of the year had increased by 10.3 per cent compared to 2009.

It said the firm, which employs around 500 people in Peterborough to run its television studio, warehouse and call centre, had seen “huge” improvements in key trading areas such as customer service and in the range of products on offer, which has been extended to cover more gardening and food categories.

Ideal Shopping’s main channel is broadcast on Freeview as well as Sky, Virgin Media and Freesat, while it has three other channels on Sky under the Ideal Extra, Ideal & More and Create and Craft names.

The report also said that when Mr Hancox joined the firm in 2008 he inherited IT systems introduced in 2007 which were “not wholly fit for purpose”, while the amount of airtime given to products that sold well resulted in a lack of variety in scheduling.

He changed this and re-introduced the option of having call-handlers to receive orders after the launch of an automated, phone ordering system was poorly received by customers.

Bosses at ISD are part way through a strategic review of the business and still considering a possible sale of the company as part of a review of options by advisers from Rothschild.

The business was formed in the 1980s, originally selling items through adverts in the national press, before moving to the city in 1992 and launching its home shopping channel in 1999.

Or could it be that I've bought stuff from them :cheeky:

Fair play though, the CEO took action and dealt with the problems to get it back into profit.

That and the exorbitant phone call charges. It can't be from the vast array of products they don't sell. Karchers, Flapsplats and Grandad Orange Gob's make up...:nod:

i think they have certainly improved their customer service,its a shame they seem be finding it difficult to get much variety. how many steam cleaners do we need? but i guess there must be a market for them. the phone call charges may be high, but i would imagine that that is to try and get more people to order online which seems fair enough, i appreciate that other shopping channels may have 0800 numbers,but dont be fooled into thinking the call is really free, the cost will be added into the item and or packaging/post price.i watch ideal world less and less now as there are a couple of presenters that i cannot stand watching and think maybe they could do with getting rid of a couple of the old timers.

Everytime I put IW on always seems to be craft/cooking stuff/diy or steam cleaners/ironing boards. Even more naff than QVC. and not forgetting fly flops, they seem to be on every other week

Latest posts

Back