Flippin Eck!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

jacqualina

Registered Shopper
Birthday surprises on Gemstv - and the latest one? Flippin eck, a virtually colourless silver tanzanite ring for £20. Maybe it's the lack of colour that is the birthday surprise.
And what on earth is wrong with Adina's right ear? I've never seen anyone with quite such an ear problem before. Flippin eck! It's enough to send you scuttling off to Tiffany's, Chopard's, Harry Winston's (other boutique jewellery shops are available!) Flippin eck!

Last edited:
"Oh, my word, oh, my word, oh, my word, OH MY WORD! (pause for ear-scratching and a quick chinwag with Sheridan), oh, my word!"

However, I'd rather have a thousand Adinas than put up with that textbook example of the irritating passive-aggressive child woman that is Ali Defoy. It would seem that some customers are amenable to being berated and harangued as long as it is done in the style of a 10 year old: "Can we just stop the music here? I can't believe that nobody's activated the auction, do you not realise that you're getting a quarter of a carat here? Am I looking at a different item? Let's just take a minute to consider what we're getting here..." And I thought Claire Sutton was bad. I can't understand why so many people like Ms Defoy, I can't watch her at all.

I'm loving the "stock phrases" being used at the moment....

"Statement ring" - a frightening combination of colours worn only by weekend drag queens

"Feature diamonds" - never mind that they look like you've worn them to dig the garden: they're big enough to be seen without a microscope

"Veh, veh, veh rare" - the stuff we haven't bought a job lot of

"You're driving a hard bargain" - you're totally disinterested in yet another piece of tanzanite that's the colour of a geriatrics bedjacket

Jinny x

I hate this phrase
" what would you be paying in one of those little high end boutiques for something like this"
......Hello I'm not in a high end boutique though am I ,I am watching you, so I dont care what their price would be cause if I did I'd be there and not here.There is so many more annoying phrases I. hate that I watch less and less and have the sound off if I'm on the puter

With respect to the presenters and I hate being horrid about them altho there are some irritating habits and I have to agree with the above posts because yes I have to have the sound off if I tune in now - the phase 'right now' is becoming a tad irritating

Hi All,

Many thanks for your comments, I will pass this feedback onto the presenters.

Kind Regards

Sarah Bennett

I wonder how often the presenters get a telling off because of this forum?

I don't know about a telling off Happy, but I hope that their 'performances' are monitored and then discussed at training sessions. The problem is that they are a very close-knit team and personal friends of the owners, so it's probably far easier to praise than to admonish.
I was feeling particularly irritated with Gems when I started this thread, but I would like to add that I do rather like Adina (ducks for cover). She comes across to me as a very sweet person and there are quite a few other presenters who I just can't watch anymore.
Nearly all the presenters need to be reminded that their stock phrases are wearing rather thin by now, but my main gripe is lack of honesty. Please, please tell us how it really is. Stop comparing Gems to the top jewellery houses in the world, stop telling us that the colour is fabulous when everyone can see it's washed out and above all, stop telling us that they are huge, fabulous diamonds when in reality they look like minute pieces of grit!
Maybe I'm just being naive, and I know the marketing of a product comes into it, but for me honesty really is the best policy. Tell it to me straight, don't try to pull the wool over my eyes, stop the pressenters from tellling me porkie pies, tell me the grade of diamonds, just tell me the truth and then I'll trust you and be happy to watch and buy.

Get the fabulous Alan to train the others in the best way to present on such a channel. Give me his brand of presenting anyday; calm, knowledgable, humorous, friendly, no berating or haranguing, no squealing, no acting, and, note to Carol R, no ****** singing! He really is the only one I can stick with throughout a whole show, and I find it funny when he genuinely gets the giggles. He's got a lovely personality and is a pleasure to watch, and I don't have to keep reaching for the mute button to shut off the inane drivel, squealing and shouting that is so often a feature of the presentations. It might be an idea for some of the presenters to be told that being very extrovert is not necessarily synonymous with being very funny. Perhaps also a quick word to them about endless repitition: "I only have 6 in the auction, I only have 6 in the auction, I only have 6 in the auction...you need to dial now, you need to dial now, you need to dial now..." Er, how many have you got in the auction, and when do I need to dial? Doh!
Like Jacqualina, I don't dislike Adina, she is nowhere near as irritating as Angeline, for instance. She just needs to learn to control her nerves a bit and then the jittering and wittering would be lessened, as would the Oh my words and other such repeated phrases.
The presenters seem to have been told to babble on about "boutique prices" for some reason, and I'm at a loss to know why the management think that their customers could give the tiniest mouse-sized shite about ****** boutiques and what they charge. I'm also not interested in what so-called celebrities are wearing and I would never entertain the thought of buying a piece of jewellery because I've been told that Cheryl Chavtastic Cole has been seen in something very similar. So what?
And completely off-topic, I know, but for Gawd's sake, can we have less of the "boutique" "statement" "bold look" rings, and more classic styles, please? I'm onboard with cocktail rings, but some of the pieces shown look like ruddy goitres or bricks on the finger.
Anyway, back to my original point: Alan is great and should be the yardstick by which the others are judged IMO.

I think we need to set up an Alan appreciation society.I totally agree he is so watchable and funny in a nice way.

It does seem that Angeline has taken over the "Shriek'n'Screech" title from Lucy - I was watching for a while earlier and she was hitting about 120 decibels whilst repeating "treble A tanzanite" until her breath ran out - I'm sure there were dogs howling outside Gems Towers with bleeding eardrums 'cos my cat was reverberating in her basket...

I quite like Adina as she comes across as hapless in an innocuous way, but the other female presenters seem to have taken a recent course called "Strident Shouting Sells" - might be alright if you're flogging 10 kilos of pork chops off a van in Basildon, but it doesn't inspire me to shell out for a Kunzite knuckle-duster!

Jinny x

Latest posts

Back