Limited Edition watch being sold on Bid TV for British Legion

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greg

Registered Shopper
:mysmilie_468:

I am a little peeved. Peter Simon is selling a limited edition watch to raise money for the Royal British Legion. He doesn't say how much of each sale is going to the charity. He just says "we are aiming to raise a couple of thousand pounds."

Then he does some sort of 'tribute' to the fallen men and women with war imagery and footage intercut with the watch.

What annoys me is the vagueness of the donation and the not-so-very-subtle promotion to sell the watch. It comes across as insincere and somewhat tasteless.

Is this really being endorsed by the British Legion? There seems to be an absence of the charity branding either on screen or on the packaging.

The channel needs to be more specific on what percentage is being donated. For all we know they could be donating just pennies per watch to the charity.

Come on Bid TV! You need to be far more transparent especially if you are raising money for charity.

Last edited:
On Tony Blair's coat tails! Poor British Legion is being tainted by all these publicity seeking phonies. I haven't watched this channel for yonks, but your thread title caught my eye. xxxxxx

The same thing happened last year with Marie Curie I seem to remember.

Now you say it Dippy, I remember them doing it last year. Makes me feel a bit uncomfortable seeing a charity used to make huge profits. I wonder if they give a cut of the postal charges to the charity?

I have to agree with you Greg.

I'm a big defender of Bid TV (i.e. those who complain about the high call charges/postage - it's all there on screen. If you want to buy the product, go for it - just add up the total price first)

But, I really feel they should specify exactly how much money goes to charity from these items. Obviously, anything Bid TV donates is good - but I cant help feel that they are simply capitalising on the fact that it's 'for charity'. Obviously, Bid TV is a profit-seeking company - however, when you consider that in an hour alone they make over £1000+ on just the phonecalls you really do have to ask how much they are actually donating to the charities in question....

Joshua, you are right of course re: the charges. Personally I hate with a passion the sh!t up channels. But of course if people didnt buy the crap they sell and pay the rip-off charges then they would have to lower them. Its all economics I guess!

Rich

Joshua, you are right of course re: the charges. Personally I hate with a passion the sh!t up channels. But of course if people didnt buy the crap they sell and pay the rip-off charges then they would have to lower them. Its all economics I guess!

Rich

Its all good saying that, but to be honest, if people dont think they are getting a bargain, they wont buy it, so that wont happen! Earler today they sold 10 hard back books for £12.99 while they were on www.amazon.co.uk for a combined price of £148.04...even with bids' P&P charge, it is a great price.

And if you think the sit up channels should be renamed the 'sh!t up' channels, why bother watching them?!

Its all good saying that, but to be honest, if people dont think they are getting a bargain, they wont buy it, so that wont happen! Earler today they sold 10 hard back books for £12.99 while they were on www.amazon.co.uk for a combined price of £148.04...even with bids' P&P charge, it is a great price.

And if you think the sit up channels should be renamed the 'sh!t up' channels, why bother watching them?!

Cant argue with any of that!! :up: But I still think that would be a better name! :grin:

BUT BH, genuine bargains like that would seem to be few and far between and it has ben proven time after time that a couple of minutes googling can come up with better prices with better p&p charges!! I know this applies to all the channels but I chose sh!t-up this time!

Rich

Last edited:
I hate to see the name of the British legion being exploited. It's a disgrace! But the biggest crime for me is that the British Legion are FORCED to seek funding in this way. It's a very sad sign of the times.

Ugh. Now Mr Simons is selling some sort memorabilia signed by Vera Lynne,and other trinkets presumably on the back of Remembrance Sunday complete with with Peter's 'sincere and respectful' patter.

No indication of much of each product is actually going to the British Legion. It's too commercial. :headbang:

Yeah, I cant watch any of that vomit-inducing bullsh!t!

Rich

Latest posts

Back