A few website suggestions

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Meeshoo

Registered Shopper
I do realise that GemsTV are still being centralised with Coloured Rocks and RocksTV (which I understand will take time) but I was wondering if you could introduce a few changes to some of the websites? I'm off work poorly at the moment and have been trying to spend money but the websites are making it quite difficult! I don't think you want that!!!!! So here goes:-

1. GemsTV website - not sure why when I log on, I have to put my email address in from scratch. On CR I put the first letter and the rest comes up as an auto suggestion. It's not a deal breaker but if you're rushing to log on because you've seen something nice, it saves time!

2. When checking out on the GemsTV website there is nothing to say that you have to check your basket out under the CR website - no re-direction, nothing. I spent abut 5 attempts trying to get my card to be accepted on the GemsTV website (it lets you get that far) before throwing in the towel and having to phone Customer Service. For new customers this must be VERY frustrating.

3. Similarly, it's really annoying once you're logged into GemsTV to have to log in again on the CR website to checkout - could they be linked?

4. I've been looking for a particular cut stone but there is no search facility on the CR website that allows you to do this.

5. The search facility is also limited in terms of searching for colour.

6. When you do manage to do a generic search for, example, diamond rings, the pages are not static - they change as you flick forwards and back, so an item that you had seen on page 3 isn't there when you go back to that page. That's incredibly frustrating and you have to try to find it again. The same thing happens if you open an item to see more about it. When you close it, all the items in your search and re-arranged.

7. I hadn't realised that the returns form was in the booklet that came with the order (which ended up in my recycling). There's nothing on the web to download if you've not got the form. I ended up asking CS (again) who replied that I should just put a note of my name, address etc in the parcel. Whilst I've done that, I think this could be improved and be less stressful for the customer worrying if everything is going to be matched up when returned.

8. One absolutely brilliant thing you've done is get rid of the pre-authorisation when checking out! This really helps if you add to orders later (because it stops the bank from thinking that there are two separate transactions going onto your card).

9. If I'm logged onto the live streaming of GemsTV and want to have a look at my basket, there's no button to go backwards to the online streaming. You have to use your "back" button. I know that's simple but it took a while to work out for a technophobe such as me! Also, linking between the GemsTV and CR websites could be easier.

10. I like the idea of requesting an auction on the CR website - BUT - it doesn't say where the auction will appear! I tested it yesterday and it comes up on the CR website but I did wonder if it would divert to RocksTV.

11. Auctions on CR. Is there a way of indicating a price that the piece will fall to? Or, revert to the GemsTV old format of having a Buy it Now price? The reason I ask is because it's impossible to know where the item will end and you could well use up all your request auctions per day without buying anything because the end price hasn't been what you hoped. Another suggestion might be to have a BIN price but then at points it's auctioned (you may choose to say when or not) when it MIGHT drop a bit lower? That would be the best of both worlds.

Thanks for listening - off to take my medication now! :giggle:

I do realise that GemsTV are still being centralised with Coloured Rocks and RocksTV (which I understand will take time) but I was wondering if you could introduce a few changes to some of the websites? I'm off work poorly at the moment and have been trying to spend money but the websites are making it quite difficult! I don't think you want that!!!!! So here goes:-

Sorry to hear you're poorly Meesh, thought it was unusual to see you posting in the afternoon. Hope you are better soon. and thanks for this thread as you have highlighted some of my bugbears....

1. GemsTV website - not sure why when I log on, I have to put my email address in from scratch. On CR I put the first letter and the rest comes up as an auto suggestion. It's not a deal breaker but if you're rushing to log on because you've seen something nice, it saves time!

I have to put in my full details for each and every site, whereas with the old Gems you could stay logged in permanently. Much much preferred!

2. When checking out on the GemsTV website there is nothing to say that you have to check your basket out under the CR website - no re-direction, nothing. I spent abut 5 attempts trying to get my card to be accepted on the GemsTV website (it lets you get that far) before throwing in the towel and having to phone Customer Service. For new customers this must be VERY frustrating.

Same thing happened to me in my last order, went very pearshaped at the end and took CS ages to get the order through for me....as I couldn't do it online!. :confused:

3. Similarly, it's really annoying once you're logged into GemsTV to have to log in again on the CR website to checkout - could they be linked?

Just what I was thinking as the Order History is only on the CR website and have to log in...again...for that.

4. I've been looking for a particular cut stone but there is no search facility on the CR website that allows you to do this.

Good idea.

Ditto

6. When you do manage to do a generic search for, example, diamond rings, the pages are not static - they change as you flick forwards and back, so an item that you had seen on page 3 isn't there when you go back to that page. That's incredibly frustrating and you have to try to find it again. The same thing happens if you open an item to see more about it. When you close it, all the items in your search and re-arranged.

7. I hadn't realised that the returns form was in the booklet that came with the order (which ended up in my recycling). There's nothing on the web to download if you've not got the form. I ended up asking CS (again) who replied that I should just put a note of my name, address etc in the parcel. Whilst I've done that, I think this could be improved and be less stressful for the customer worrying if everything is going to be matched up when returned.

I forgot about that form also and put in a note to explain the returns.....and I'm still waiting for me money!

8. One absolutely brilliant thing you've done is get rid of the pre-authorisation when checking out! This really helps if you add to orders later (because it stops the bank from thinking that there are two separate transactions going onto your card).

9. If I'm logged onto the live streaming of GemsTV and want to have a look at my basket, there's no button to go backwards to the online streaming. You have to use your "back" button. I know that's simple but it took a while to work out for a technophobe such as me! Also, linking between the GemsTV and CR websites could be easier.

10. I like the idea of requesting an auction on the CR website - BUT - it doesn't say where the auction will appear! I tested it yesterday and it comes up on the CR website but I did wonder if it would divert to RocksTV.

Rocks are doing timed request hours now if you want your piece to come up on telly, but I think a day's notice is required!

11. Auctions on CR. Is there a way of indicating a price that the piece will fall to? Or, revert to the GemsTV old format of having a Buy it Now price? The reason I ask is because it's impossible to know where the item will end and you could well use up all your request auctions per day without buying anything because the end price hasn't been what you hoped. Another suggestion might be to have a BIN price but then at points it's auctioned (you may choose to say when or not) when it MIGHT drop a bit lower? That would be the best of both worlds.

And sometimes it doesn't end up any near where you think it might do as other similar starting prices can finish at quite a different level! The old Gems web drop price worked very well as we knew it would finish about £15? less than the buy now price.

Apologies for the Xmas colours, but on my small screen all the paragraphs looked the same otherwise! :happy:

Hi Meeshoo,

Thanks for this great feedback. I'll try and answer your questions below:

That's odd, I get the auto-suggestion on mine on Gems TV login. If you let me know what browser you are using I will look in to this.

You should be able to check out your basket on any of the websites. Is the Gems TV checkput not working for you? If so, please give me some more details.

I don't think we can link them - browsers programs frown on different websites sharing cookie information. What we can do is add a 'remember me' function to each site so you stay logged in. This is in our development queue at the moment.

Are ypu looking for jewellery with a certain stone cut, or a loose gemstone? On GemCollector you can refine the search by cut once you've selected a gemstone - we could possibly change that so that you could search for cut across all gemstones. On Coloured Rocks we don't have that. we could look at putting in some 'Advanced Options' to search for things like cut and so on.

On CR you can refine the search by the lead colour of the stone once you have clicked on a jewellery type.

I see what you mean here. The results are random so that you get to see different items every time, but I can understand how this would be frustrating if you are browsing through. We'll have a think about how to achieve this in a different way.

Great idea, we should have a downloadable returns form.

Thanks.

I'll have a look at the linking and navigation on the sites.

Good point.

The site is designed to work the same as the TV channels with a reverse auction format, so we feel a buy it now price would be confusing in that context.

Thanks for all the feedback, it really is useful.

If you want to email me any more details on the specific points above, please feel free to do so at [email protected].

Kind regards

John Bennett

Last edited:
Hi John

Glad to have been of help. Answers to your questions.

1. Internet Explorer. Not sure if Sacha is using the same or different? I do get the auto fill option on the CR website but not the GemsTV one - so don't think it's a brower issue but hey, I'm a confirmed technophobe so could well be!

2. The GemsTV checkout doesn't work. I rang Customer Service who told me that you can't check out from there anymore and have to go through the CR website (which does work). If you try to use the GemsTV website, you get right the way almost to the end, input your card and then press to confirm payment/order and then it goes pear shaped! At first I thought it was a problem with my card because a box comes up (empty) that looks like it has the security bit that you have to put in for your bank (you know the one that says "input the 3rd, 4th and 5th character of your password"). I panicked because I tried it 3 times and it didn't work so I had to phone the bank to see if payment had been taken (it hadn't). That's when I rang CS and was told to checkout via CR (which works perfectly). By the way, don't know if this is the same issue but I can get my account history on CR but not on GemsTV.

3. Brilliant - I love the remember me function! Thanks!

4. Actually what I was looking for was a pear cut stone (any stone). So given your explanation, I'd have to click into each gemstone and then search for a pear cut from there? That would take forever! So if it could be refined that would very helpful - thanks.

5. I was looking for a black pendant! Any stone!

6 - 10 - thanks John.

11. Understand your concerns here. Potentially you may be losing sales though? If somebody knows a price up front they're more likely to buy. If they request and the price doesn't fall as low as expected then they've wasted valuable shopping time, finding something in their price range - to maximise selling time and sales I thought it might be an idea to have an upfront price. Can see both sides though!

Thanks again for taking the time to feedback John. You know my email address/phone numbers so if you want to discuss anything, feel free to contact me.

Meesh x

Very constructive suggestions above, also hope you're feeling better Meesh, not used to you posting during the day.
John, would it be possible to have a schedule on the Sky program guide thingy, or failing that a link on the Rocks/Gems websites with the schedule for the next few days or week? I can't even begin to estimate the number of hours I've missed or joined in the last few minutes just because I didn't know they were on.
I asked one of your CS team about Request Hours and she confirmed that you were still doing them and that I should look out for them. This is completely impractical because the vast majority of us can't sit permanently glued to both screens on the off chance that our preferred hour will appear. Many thanks.

Meesh .... I use IE and get the auto fill option on both Gems and CR.

You're lucky! I can't log in at all! I enter my email address and type in my Gems TV password and it comes up with this message "An error has occured, please verify your email address and password". Cookies are enabled.

The search changing when you go back and forth is annoying, makes it impossible to see everything as I found out last night when I went on after seeing on facebook they had new items loaded on but failed to find them due to search issues.

Good post Meeshoo
I know that I can't be bothered to buy at the moment as it is too much hard work & I do not have the time to wait for auctions, the falling from price with no buy it now option means I just cant be bothered

I have ventured over to The Jewellery Channel as a result though.......

Latest posts

Back