Oreck

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

DramaCat

gobby bird
are they really worth the hype (and cost)? I was thinking on getting one for my parents if they truly are lightweight and fantastic. They are getting on a bit and find their current hoover a bit too heavy.

are they really worth the hype (and cost)? I was thinking on getting one for my parents if they truly are lightweight and fantastic. They are getting on a bit and find their current hoover a bit too heavy.

I've wanted one for years but each time on EP had other bills to pay. Glad now as I have more lam. flooring and wouldn't be without my g. techs, I have 2 about £40 each, easy to charge and picks up hay from our house bunny scatterings no prob. Good on carpets too and very lightweight as I have back probs. and osteo-arth. Love them.

I like the look of the tsv - lovely colours and very 50s retro. I would love to have one....but cannot afford so will admire from afar. But I have a gtek for my kitchen and it is great too...

I've got one of the top of the range hepo ones with the canister (not bought from QVC). It is a good vacuum and yes it is lightweight. However, it doesn't clean up to the edge or anywhere near corners, which means you have to do all these areas separately with the canister, and hence, imho you're doing the job twice, instead of just pulling out the attachment from a conventional upright as you go along to reach any inaccessible areas.

The canister itself is a real pain to use. It feels heavy and awkward to carry on the shoulder and falls forward giving you some nasty knocks as you move around. In theory, it should be easier if you can keep one hand on the canister to steady it as you vacuum, holding the hose in the other hand. However, this is not really practical, as more often than not, you need both hands on the hose to guide it accurately and with enough pressure to do the job efficiently.

Overall then, the vacuum is lightweight, but this is primarily because it has no attachments on board which causes great inconvenience to the user. The belts need changing quite frequently, which I think is rather unusual in this day and age. They even provide you with a spare belt, which seems to indicate that they expect this problem.

Added to this the fact that you now have two appliances to store as well as the fiddly attachments that accompany the canister cleaner, I believe you would be better advised to consider buying a lightweight cylinder vacuum from a decent brand for your parents, for approximately half the price of this TSV.

Hope this helps a little.

The last few times Ive been in the Warrington oulet they've had hundreds of them selling off for £70 ish. Might be an indicator they get a lot sent back? Cant speak from experience tho, soz hun.

I've got one of the top of the range hepo ones with the canister (not bought from QVC). It is a good vacuum and yes it is lightweight. However, it doesn't clean up to the edge or anywhere near corners, which means you have to do all these areas separately with the canister, and hence, imho you're doing the job twice, instead of just pulling out the attachment from a conventional upright as you go along to reach any inaccessible areas.

The canister itself is a real pain to use. It feels heavy and awkward to carry on the shoulder and falls forward giving you some nasty knocks as you move around. In theory, it should be easier if you can keep one hand on the canister to steady it as you vacuum, holding the hose in the other hand. However, this is not really practical, as more often than not, you need both hands on the hose to guide it accurately and with enough pressure to do the job efficiently.

Overall then, the vacuum is lightweight, but this is primarily because it has no attachments on board which causes great inconvenience to the user. The belts need changing quite frequently, which I think is rather unusual in this day and age. They even provide you with a spare belt, which seems to indicate that they expect this problem.

Added to this the fact that you now have two appliances to store as well as the fiddly attachments that accompany the canister cleaner, I believe you would be better advised to consider buying a lightweight cylinder vacuum from a decent brand for your parents, for approximately half the price of this TSV.

totally agree with everything. My Dad used to have one, and actually got rid of it for those reasons

I agree Mam...I had one (not from QVC) and fair enough it was light and it was good..did the test of vaccuuming and then going over it with the new Oreck, with the new bag they supply for the purpose, and it did pick up more muck, but as you say, difficulty with the corners and so on. I bought a Sebo cylinder..still expensive but very good, in fact have just bought a second one so one upstairs & one downstairs now to save me having to carry, me being a poor old arthritic pensioner (violins please..!) - on the whole I would say don't go for the Oreck, there are just as good ones if not better available.

I agree Mam...I had one (not from QVC) and fair enough it was light and it was good..did the test of vaccuuming and then going over it with the new Oreck, with the new bag they supply for the purpose, and it did pick up more muck, but as you say, difficulty with the corners and so on. I bought a Sebo cylinder..still expensive but very good, in fact have just bought a second one so one upstairs & one downstairs now to save me having to carry, me being a poor old arthritic pensioner (violins please..!) - on the whole I would say don't go for the Oreck, there are just as good ones if not better available.

Me too Busymum. I've now got a Sebo upstairs and a Miele downstairs. Both bought by shopping around the net for a combined price of less than the Oreck.

Thanks everyone, excellent reviews, I am now no longer pining. DD will be thrilled, she no longer needs to see me salivating at the screen.

I got an Oreck from QVC recently and I love it...........it is as light as a feather and picks up fab.
It also reduces the time spent on vacuuming. I got out my dyson the other day and pushing it around almost killed me it was so heavy!

The down side is that for some reason it hates my large mat on my wooden floor unless I push it one particular way.

thanks folks, really appreciate all your comments. One to give a bodyswerve I think, glad I hesitated over the TSV yesterday. Yet more drivel and trick sales pitches!

Latest posts

Back