Nice top, shame about the legs and feet!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

QVC_addicted_couple

Registered Shopper
So JR still wears the stumpy and God awful shoes tonite ( that she wears with just about everything ), get some feminine shoes for goodness sake!!!!!! the top is really nice, and there she is wearing those biker zipped jeans again!....... your'e not a young chick anymore, look in the mirror!!

Just had a quick look....I think she looks great, she's got the legs, why not!

I work with a woman who wears clothes so tight that when she wears trousers I try and stay out of the firing line of the button, because IF that button is going to go: it will cause serious damage! Would I mention to her that she should wear a size or even two bigger???
Never, I would not want to hurt her like that. So what if she wants to be delusional about her size, is that not her right to do so? Live and let live is my motto, but the constant moans about "La Roberts" seem to be going on and on. I really do wonder what it is with that woman. She looks great for her age (wish I looked like that), she was/is (?) delusional about her clothes ( I know I can be until it gets too uncomfortable lol). She does not dress like a 50 something woman is suppose to ( no idea what that is suppose to be anyway but there seems to be an unwritten code about that wich also seems to be very flexible and is interpreted differently from country to country and region to region), and why the hell should she "dress her age", bearing in mind I am no fashion expert and have no idea what that actually means.
AND her choice of shoes????????????????????????
I don't know, would it be better she wore twinsets and dyed her hair grey?
I just do not get the JR bashing at all .... I just do not get it
To me it sometimes looks very harsh indeed

in my experience women are always very critical of each other, but seldom to their face! I'm a Virgo, so I'm hyper-critical I know - but that includes being self-critical believe you me! I wouldn't criticise something people can't do anything about - if you're born with a big nose, sticky-out ears or teeth, that's unfortunate - yes of course something CAN be done about almost everything these days but not everyone has the money or the inclination to go under the knife. However, with Julia, she just seems to have this "I'm better than you" attitude so she sets herself up for being knocked down - she's a lovely looking woman (tho a bit gaunt since she lost the weight), but IN MY OPINION (!) dresses too young, her hair's too long & wild, and she's making a fool of herself. A good haircut, some elegant clothes, she could carry on being beautiful thru to old age and people would admire her, but as it is, she seems to be trying to hang onto her youth for as long as possible and it's starting to look a bit desperate, to me. If we're lucky, old age comes to us all, I think the thing is to go with it gracefully, be grateful for what we have, and thank our lucky stars if that includes health and enough dosh to keep the wolf from the door!

in my experience women are always very critical of each other, but seldom to their face! I'm a Virgo, so I'm hyper-critical I know - but that includes being self-critical believe you me! I wouldn't criticise something people can't do anything about - if you're born with a big nose, sticky-out ears or teeth, that's unfortunate - yes of course something CAN be done about almost everything these days but not everyone has the money or the inclination to go under the knife. However, with Julia, she just seems to have this "I'm better than you" attitude so she sets herself up for being knocked down - she's a lovely looking woman (tho a bit gaunt since she lost the weight), but IN MY OPINION (!) dresses too young, her hair's too long & wild, and she's making a fool of herself. A good haircut, some elegant clothes, she could carry on being beautiful thru to old age and people would admire her, but as it is, she seems to be trying to hang onto her youth for as long as possible and it's starting to look a bit desperate, to me. If we're lucky, old age comes to us all, I think the thing is to go with it gracefully, be grateful for what we have, and thank our lucky stars if that includes health and enough dosh to keep the wolf from the door!

It's the attitude. It just winds people up.

I don't knock JR for wanting to flaunt the fact she is happy with her weight (though I agree her weight loss has impacted on her face and not in a good way). I am VERY surprised that she as a presenter, and the QVC Powers That Be, think it's a great idea for her to show off new clothing wearing scuzzy old sandals and leggings/jeans.

The woman has access to all the ranges QVC does, and presumably can afford to take her pick of the best that's out there (unless every penny is going on the holiday homes etc). But what does she do? She presents items looking like she's rushed in from her cleaning job in the pub down the road.

I'm not knocking cleaners (splendid people who do a VERY underrated and undervalued job), but if you want to show anything in its best light in order to flog it to a cynical audience, would you look like you've teamed it with something from the bottom of the laundry basket and a pair of old shoes from the back of the wardrobe? Hardly the way to flog aspirational stuff to the viewing public, is it?

She should take a leaf out of Jackie Onassis' book (QVC still do that range of replica jewellery, don't they?); I bet SHE never met foreign heads of state looking like she's just got home from her part-time job at the local chippy! :cheeky:

She's not stylish or graceful I agree with a previous poster just because a woman hits her 50's it doesnt mean she has to get the twin set out and stop dying her hair HOWEVER look at Jackie O, Grace Kelly, and especially Audrey Hepburn.....so come on JR smarten it up without givng it up

She's not stylish or graceful I agree with a previous poster just because a woman hits her 50's it doesnt mean she has to get the twin set out and stop dying her hair HOWEVER look at Jackie O, Grace Kelly, and especially Audrey Hepburn.....so come on JR smarten it up without givng it up

deffo looby on the three you mention, who had they lived till their 70s/80s would still have been beautiful...unfortunately I never have been (going for the sympathy vote!) but tho I'm now 63 I still try to be stylish, and yes I wear jeans, but no you don't have to resort to twinset & pearls to look elegant...or at least I hope not as I'm not a twinset & pearls gal!

Great post BM. I said something the other week about JR's hair and someone said something about her not being well etc. That's no excuse for not having a decent haircut. She is one of my fave presenters but I wish she would ditch the shoes - dear god they are awful. and the weight loss hasn't done her any favours facially.

I work with a woman who wears clothes so tight that when she wears trousers I try and stay out of the firing line of the button, because IF that button is going to go: it will cause serious damage! Would I mention to her that she should wear a size or even two bigger???
Never, I would not want to hurt her like that. So what if she wants to be delusional about her size, is that not her right to do so? Live and let live is my motto, but the constant moans about "La Roberts" seem to be going on and on. I really do wonder what it is with that woman. She looks great for her age (wish I looked like that), she was/is (?) delusional about her clothes ( I know I can be until it gets too uncomfortable lol). She does not dress like a 50 something woman is suppose to ( no idea what that is suppose to be anyway but there seems to be an unwritten code about that wich also seems to be very flexible and is interpreted differently from country to country and region to region), and why the hell should she "dress her age", bearing in mind I am no fashion expert and have no idea what that actually means.
AND her choice of shoes????????????????????????
I don't know, would it be better she wore twinsets and dyed her hair grey?
I just do not get the JR bashing at all .... I just do not get it
To me it sometimes looks very harsh indeed

OK I'm biting yet again........

I personally think it might be two reasons, firstly jealousy and secondly, people are sheep! Once one starts, everyone has to join in as they don't want to be the odd one out!

I think she looks fab, has great arms, nice and toned, much nicer than mine and I'm considerably younger. She's good at her job and yes she has days when she looks tired, her hair doesn't look as good as previously, but bl**dy heck, we ALL have days like that!

Some people on here seem to pick on the minutest thing and if there isn't one they'll invent one, just to come on here and b*tch about it! I say, GET A LIFE!! If you don't like her, don't watch her!

OK I'm biting yet again........

I personally think it might be two reasons, firstly jealousy and secondly, people are sheep! Once one starts, everyone has to join in as they don't want to be the odd one out!

I think she looks fab, has great arms, nice and toned, much nicer than mine and I'm considerably younger. She's good at her job and yes she has days when she looks tired, her hair doesn't look as good as previously, but bl**dy heck, we ALL have days like that!

Some people on here seem to pick on the minutest thing and if there isn't one they'll invent one, just to come on here and b*tch about it! I say, GET A LIFE!! If you don't like her, don't watch her!

I don't watch her! No I have to disagree Lily, I think there are two camps here, one for Julia one against - no make it three...one which doesn't really care! I neither love nor hate her, but being of a pernickety nature I suppose, it irks me when I see people not making the best of themselves...Julia has a lovely face but she detracts from it with what she wears at times...ditto Ali Young - I'd love to take the pair of them on a shopping trip. And they could buy the lunch!:rock:

I'm in the not really bothered camp on Julia Roberts most of the time but can I just say how nice Nicky from Lola Rose looked compared to JR, her hair was pinned up, she had a lovely top on and although a fair bit younger than JR, she looked very smart and 'on trend' ;-).

I think sometimes its time to admit your too old to wear something, I'm about to turn 30 this year and I dont consider myself able to wear mini's anymore unless its with very thick black tights, even then its mostly a no! This is my opinion about myself, but trying to stay young by dressing too young just makes you look older, its true of pretty much every woman imho.

Last edited:
I'm in the not really bothered camp on Julia Roberts most of the time but can I just say how nice Nicky from Lola Rose looked compared to JR, her hair was pinned up, she had a lovely top on and although a fair bit younger than JR, she looked very smart and 'on trend' ;-).

I think sometimes its time to admit your too old to wear something, I'm about to turn 30 this year and I dont consider myself able to wear mini's anymore unless its with very thick black tights, even then its mostly a no! This is my opinion about myself, but trying to stay young by dressing too young just makes you look older, its true of pretty much every woman imho.

I would say at your age you've got another five years at least of being able to wear a mini, and if you've got good legs, even longer! I never had the legs for it first time round but I still went for it!

I think that this age/dress thing really depends on a number of things.

Not only how old you are or how good the bits and pieces of your figure are but also what "type" you are. I think that the latter is a very important factor and should remain unchanged whatever your age. I am a very different "type" to my collegue despite being pretty much the same age. She would look and feel wrong in my clothes and vice versa. I am at my happiest wearing high heels (and always have been) whilst she wouldn't dream of it. It all depends on the individual.

thanks BusyMum, maybe give mini's a second chance! lol

And I agree with Almerinda as well, its def a type thing. ie Pipa, she can carry off a lot of looks that I certainly can only dream of, but then again I bet she doesnt look half as good as me in a pencil skirt with my 'ample' assets! :giggle:

Not only how old you are or how good the bits and pieces of your figure are but also what "type" you are. I think that the latter is a very important factor and should remain unchanged whatever your age. I am a very different "type" to my collegue despite being pretty much the same age. She would look and feel wrong in my clothes and vice versa. I am at my happiest wearing high heels (and always have been) whilst she wouldn't dream of it. It all depends on the individual.

definitely! I'm pear shaped, so dirndl skirts are a no-no!!! I think some women instinctively know what they can wear and what they look good in, others don't - if people are always telling you you look nice, you're getting it right ...not telling you they like that skirt, that top, etc etc, but that YOU look nice, as a whole, you're there, you're presenting the whole image correctly - I'm afraid I don't think that Julia falls into that category...

It is a difficult time being in your fifties. I am 52 and lucky to have a daughter in her twenties who can advise me. I have always known what my style is and what suits me but when shopping I say a lot to my daughter now "am I too old for this". A lot of the time she actually says I am not old enough with some things I choose, which is great. It also goes along with the struggle mentally, that we can feel younger in our heads, which doesn't help when shopping for clothes. I have always dressed conservatively, not liking to show off flesh. This, I think, helps with this transitional time in my life. For ladies who have had a more adventurous time with their clothes, I can sympathise with their struggle to find a new or dampened down style as they reach their 50's. Part of me thinks "live and let live" as long as not a lot of flesh is shown. I also think ladies can look slimmer if they dared to go up a dress size. Taking that one size larger hanger off the rail can be hard but the mirror should be the judge.

definitely! I'm pear shaped, so dirndl skirts are a no-no!!! I think some women instinctively know what they can wear and what they look good in, others don't - if people are always telling you you look nice, you're getting it right ...not telling you they like that skirt, that top, etc etc, but that YOU look nice, as a whole, you're there, you're presenting the whole image correctly - I'm afraid I don't think that Julia falls into that category...

I don't think Julia wears things that suit her shape, leggings just make the bottom of her body look very narrow and in comparison the top part look very wide. She also does love to squeeze into items that are too small which isn't a good look if you have any lumps or bumps. Sometimes she gets it right and can look really good, but this seems to happen less often these days.

I don't think Julia wears things that suit her shape, leggings just make the bottom of her body look very narrow and in comparison the top part look very wide. She also does love to squeeze into items that are too small which isn't a good look if you have any lumps or bumps. Sometimes she gets it right and can look really good, but this seems to happen less often these days.

you're right - Julia's the opposite way round to me and no way I'd wear a tight clingy top, it would just make my hips look even wider!

It is a difficult time being in your fifties. I am 52 and lucky to have a daughter in her twenties who can advise me. I have always known what my style is and what suits me but when shopping I say a lot to my daughter now "am I too old for this". A lot of the time she actually says I am not old enough with some things I choose, which is great. It also goes along with the struggle mentally, that we can feel younger in our heads, which doesn't help when shopping for clothes. I have always dressed conservatively, not liking to show off flesh. This, I think, helps with this transitional time in my life. For ladies who have had a more adventurous time with their clothes, I can sympathise with their struggle to find a new or dampened down style as they reach their 50's. Part of me thinks "live and let live" as long as not a lot of flesh is shown. I also think ladies can look slimmer if they dared to go up a dress size. Taking that one size larger hanger off the rail can be hard but the mirror should be the judge.

you and I sound quite alike there LIAM, I too have always known my style, and also now rely on my daughter at times to tell me if something is too young for me - and even then sometimes I don't buy it even if she says it's ok! And a yes too to the idea of going up a size rather than looking like a sausage in too tight a skin - would rather buy a size 18 top if the 16 shows off my spare tyre!

thanks BusyMum, maybe give mini's a second chance! lol

And I agree with Almerinda as well, its def a type thing. ie Pipa, she can carry off a lot of looks that I certainly can only dream of, but then again I bet she doesnt look half as good as me in a pencil skirt with my 'ample' assets! :giggle:

Exactly! Pipa always looks cute but the stuff she wears would look daft on me.

Latest posts

Back