Clearance.... is it misleading newer customers????

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mopsiemoo

Registered Shopper
Firstly sorry I know there's already a thread about Clearance, but there's far to much use of the word CLEARANCE used as a selling point on rocks now.

A CLEARANCE to me is where you buy something that a reduction of the normal price and I believe most would think the same:thinking:, but rocks prices dont seem to be dropping any lower then they would normally:confused:, is my interpretation of CLEARANCE flawed:mysmilie_506::mysmilie_506:.

If Rocks means that they are merely clearing out the vaults hence CLEARANCE, maybe they should clarify this more:nod:. As it could misleading newer buyers into thinking they are getting a better price than normal or a clearance price. :wink:

I posted a reply under the other thread mopsie - to my mind its not clearance - the blu topaz bracelet I got for £29 sold for £39 and I see the same stuff - its incredibly irritating and not very enticing to see clearance plastered over every themed hour when it so very clearly isn't. New customers probably dont know any better and think they are getting a bargain.

"Clearance" in RocksWorld appears to mean the same items endlessly auctioned as "last in stock" for the same price or more than they usually go for. I must admit that it has led me to question whether they have a problem with semantics, and I feel a quick perusal of any dictionary conveniently lying around would save the viewers much vexation.

A little while ago I bought a moonstone bracelet for older DD and then saw it come up in a 'Clearance' auction, so snapped one up for younger DD as she too loves moonstone.
The only problem is that it ended up at the fab clearance price of £10 more than the first one which was not bought in clearance.
As they are so called falling auctions, they supposedly never know exactly where the auctions will end (although there's another thread on this topic that I totally agree with). I know there's already been another thread on this subject that I have posted in, but surely for decency's sake alone, they should make sure that they end up at/crash to at least £1 less than the previous lowest price in a clearance?
I'm sad to say that this plus all the other niggles at the moment are making me seriously question the ethics of this company and I never thought I would have to write that.

and still it goes on and on ............. missing totally is any comment on behalf of the company - very disappointing. I guess if there was a positive comment to be made it would be made, so we therefore assume by the silence that the clearance/sale is a load of codswallop.

Perfect example - this morning - item HPGT16....little seed pearl earrings with 4 interchangeable flower backs in MOP........... in the BIG SALE today - and that was the screen behind Matt, 30 pairs went for £5 each. Good deal? Maybe - until you think back to the summer this year and they sold at £1 a pair and there were hundreds of pairs. They were sold recently too at £4 a pair.

This surely cannot be a fair way to treat your customers and to me is indicative of a total disregard for customers, treating us like idiots.

Rod had an ALL OUT Clearance yesterday, and I thought finally no more Clearance nonsence. :mysmilie_378: :mysmilie_378:

But turned on and Fi's doing a Charm Clearance...... Surely Rocks must start to realize that they are dragging their reputation down, they are turning into one of those tacky high street shops thats got big..... CLOSING DOWN signs in the window EVERYTHING MUST GO. Several years later they are still there apparently closing down. :giggle:

Your Prices were/are good enough to get New Customers to buy without cheapening yourselfs........ Please Stop with the Clearance:mysmilie_503:

Last edited:
and still it goes on and on ............. missing totally is any comment on behalf of the company - very disappointing. I guess if there was a positive comment to be made it would be made, so we therefore assume by the silence that the clearance/sale is a load of codswallop.

This surely cannot be a fair way to treat your customers and to me is indicative of a total disregard for customers, treating us like idiots.

:mysmilie_497::mysmilie_471::mysmilie_504:

Last edited:

Perfect example - this morning - item HPGT16....little seed pearl earrings with 4 interchangeable flower backs in MOP........... in the BIG SALE today - and that was the screen behind Matt, 30 pairs went for £5 each. Good deal? Maybe - until you think back to the summer this year and they sold at £1 a pair and there were hundreds of pairs. They were sold recently too at £4 a pair.

I saw these sell for £1 over the weekend, pretty sure it was during a show Alan was presenting.

thanks for that Sazza - kind of confirms that I wasnt dreaming ............ and also realy makes me hold off from pressing the buy now button - feel I am being conned. Surely there must be some kind of rule book for calling something a sale?

thanks for that Sazza - kind of confirms that I wasnt dreaming ............ and also realy makes me hold off from pressing the buy now button - feel I am being conned. Surely there must be some kind of rule book for calling something a sale?

Yes, there is, and quite strict too which is why they call it "clearance". "Clearance" means nothing more than a clearing out of stock and, in law, how you perceive the word is not their problem. If you listen carefully I'm sure you'll find the word "sale", as in reduced prices, is avoided like the plague. xxxxxxxxx

Yes, there is, and quite strict too which is why they call it "clearance". "Clearance" means nothing more than a clearing out of stock and, in law, how you perceive the word is not their problem. If you listen carefully I'm sure you'll find the word "sale", as in reduced prices, is avoided like the plague. xxxxxxxxx

That says it all xx

interesting argey - when those seed pearl earrings were on - matt quite emphatically had a big screen behind him that said BIG SALE......................

interesting argey - when those seed pearl earrings were on - matt quite emphatically had a big screen behind him that said BIG SALE......................

I'm really surprised to hear that loobi. I can only believe that they know better than I, as isn't one of them (John maybe) a solicitor/barrister or similar whereas I'm only an interested shopper? Can you recall if it said anything else? It doesn't really matter terribly to me but, as you rightly say, it can be very misleading for those who are none the wiser. Generally speaking ignorance is bliss, but it's horrid to find out after the event, especially when you are led to believe that you have also been befriended (as would appear for so many customers). xxxxxxxxxxx

argey - I am 100% sure - it was a big screen- think it was red and had just two words in huge probably white letters - BIG SALE ....... i was so irritated I went straight to my log in to comment while it was fresh in my mind - so what I said about the earrings was 2 secs or so after auction finished.

think john is a barrister.

Again, the silence from Rocks is deafening

Last edited:
It may surprise some to hear but it's Matt who is a qualified Barrister. Since learning this a few years ago, I've never been able to understand why he's flogging bling on the telly when he could be making a considerable salary as a Barrister!

Several presenters have made reference to the current 'sale'; I've heard comments over the last few days like: "Take advantage while this is in the sale, I can't guarantee that it will go to this price again..." etc. It's really peeing me off, and the hard sell and berating is getting worse. I don't like being made to feel as if I am ripping off a company, but that's the impression so many of the presenters give with their constant "This price is ridiculous and we're making no money on this item, we can't even make one for that price..." and on and on.
As to the presentations themselves, well, apart from Alan who is like the proverbial oasis in the desert, the shouting and acting are getting worse, and don't get me started on the porkie pies and inaccuracies spouted constantly. So many of the presenters are now unwatchable unless you are into primal screaming as a sort of therapy.
Then we get to the 'genuine reverse auction' stuff, and again I've heard 3 presenters state during an active auction, "This isn't going any lower and we'll just sit here and wait until it sells." That is not my definition of a reverse auction, but then I am a stickler for semantics. I also feel that the start price of items, particularly in the online auctions, are a little ambitious, to say the least, and seem to be a bit on the ad hoc side.
Something which bothers me a lot is that they keep telling people to get a valuation on sterling silver items, and to my mind, that is immoral and should not be allowed. What on earth would be the point?
Finally, I can't be the only viewer who is bored of tanzanite, it's on all the ruddy time and raved about as if it only popped up once a year or something. Again I would point people in the direction of a dictionary where they can look up the word 'rare'.

I didn't know that about Matt, Klos, but I do know that John Bennett qualified as a barrister.

Thanks Krosbint, of course, I knew there was one in there somewhere. Not so much a legal eagle then more of a sparrow advocate. :giggle: xxxxxxxxx

Flippin' 'eck, drowning in the law. Maybe it's a case of "too many cooks"? I had remembered Matt's past but wasn't 100% sure about John (just a vague whimpering in the back of me 'ed). Didn't Emma divert in that direction as well, at some point? Yo, I haven't watched them for a while but they and Gems used to be really wary of the word. xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Flippin' 'eck, drowning in the law. Maybe it's a case of "too many cooks"? I had remembered Matt's past but wasn't 100% sure about John (just a vague whimpering in the back of me 'ed). Didn't Emma divert in that direction as well, at some point? Yo, I haven't watched them for a while but they and Gems used to be really wary of the word. xxxxxxxxx

Yes Emma did become a barrister. Must admit I am rather surprised to hear Matt is too considering some of the statements I have heard him make on air!!! :wonder:

Latest posts

Back