New gold advert

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Happygolucky

Registered Shopper
I just watched a new advert on GEMS TV which i felt really patronised by. it showed one of the presenters buying 3 gold rings from high street stores and then telling us what she paid and then showing us the weight.

Then in a really condescending way she tapped at the calculator and told us the average price per gram on the high street. I know the owners are often on this site and usually claim to be reacting to our issues.but if this is how they are reacting to our concerns about their constant barking on about gold weight i think they have missed the point a bit.

:confused:

I maybe thinking of the wrong advert and I stress this is just MHO but I thought that as was just Tongue in cheek, taking the pee out of similar ads on commercial TV.

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi PJ,
don't think they do tongue in cheek,just cringe worthy ads which insult people's intelligence. Real shame as they used to be so great.

I second that NannieA.

PJ, I think you may be muddling your ads and channels (easily done these days). The ad referred to here is serious and Steve B was very keen to defend this method of calculating gold prices, so definitely no "tongue in cheek" there.

However, I've been reading the Rocks board and this has to be tongue in cheek:-

"You are our boss, at the end of the day and your loyalty, support and feedback is very important to us." Anjo very kindly supplied this quote from the latest Scoop magazine so thank you Anjo, I haven't laughed so much for yonks. :mysmilie_845:

I can't help but wonder whether Steve hasn't overdone the family and friends thing. When you have everyone that is close to you also working for/with you, how do you kick ass?
xxxxxxxxx

'The Krays' - another family run business, but not one you'd particularly want to crow about.
I just think it's very sad that so many formerly loyal customers are feeling really fed up with the treatment they are receiving, and Rocks and Gems appear to be going for the lowest common denominator in every way possible. Short term and short sighted, and liable to bite them on the backside before too long. As the old saying goes, be careful how you treat people on the way up because you'll also have to meet them on the way down...

Apologies for bumpingthis thread again but I was watching today and just had to make a post!
This "method" that Gems ( and previously RocksTV) use for calcutaling " the price of gold is so ridiculous that I have not bothered to comment before now but I see that it is still being trotted out again and again.

For all sorts of reasons, most mentioned here before, this is a daft comparison and has no merit at all but any criticism here has obviously had no effect at all on the presenters, or bosses. After the last "Apprentice" series, however, I though that the Bennet family might finally get a hint about the stupidity of their gold price claims when , during one of their task, the apprentice candidates were asked to sourdce an item of 22 kt gold Indian jewllery, weighing at least 6 gms....... I cannot remember the exact sums, but the winning team got it for £136. That is SIX grams of 22 KT, beautifully worked gold for £136..... makes over " £50 per gram for 9ct on the high street" look a bit feeble, doesn't it?

I really cannot imagine who in the country, given the large viewing figures of the Apprentice, is fooled by the crazy claims of Gems, are they not emabarrased to spout this drivel? (That's rhetorical, by the way, they get more far fetched by the day in most of what they say. I did believe it when they said it was Guy Fawkes day and when it was now 2011, however!)

Anyway.... haven't been posting for ages, only lurking at the very edges ( mostly to check Yo and Argey are ok!) but had to get this off my chest!!

Get yerself back here, Mathilda, I can't control this mob all by myself, you know...

You are so right in what you say, and the constant harping on about the high street gold price comparison is one of the reasons I switched off, it's just too stupid for words. I also found the constant "If you were to buy this from Tiffany's it would cost thousands..." so irritating that it was sending my blood pressure to unmanageable levels. They should either compare themselves with other shopping channels selling jewellery in the UK or keep ****** schtum.

Latest posts

Back