Sit up p&p vs High St. A presenters view.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

D

Dippy One

Guest Shopper
This has made me mad. I was reading Paul Becque's facebook page and Mark Ryes according to somebody on his wall that Ryes has been tweeting about High St vs Sh!t up channels p&p charges. This is Ryes's view.

(a) The High St is a real rip-off , people complain about p&p but pretty much always end up cheaper than High St prices.

(b) Which idiot chose to give a High St gift card where your forced to pay over-bloated priced and mark-ups of 75%.

This guy is a absolute idiot imho :doh::yawn::wonder::nod:

And the Pope's a Catholic...You wouldn't really expect a shopping TV presenter to say that their channel(s) sell overpriced goods, would you?

I'm surprised anyone buys the tat on the Sit Up Channel network especially with the high p&p and phone call charges.

You are better off researching other sites with more reasonable p&p charges and no phone calls.

I have seen some of the stuff sold by Sit Up at the £1 shops. :thinking:

most of the stuff is often cheaper on play.com or amazon with free p&p and no expensive numbers

And to add insult to injury I've seen similar (and better value) products cheaper on other shopping channels, such as the Datawind Ubisurfer as sold on Ideal World which looks very similar to Sit-up's "Allfine Netbook" (usually sold for £150 plus P&P), except on Ideal World the price is something like £130 with cheaper P&P and also comes with a year's free internet access. Plus Ideal World are more honest about the limitations of a Windows CE 'netbook' in that you often can't view video clips and it's sold as a basic internet access device as opposed to a "general purpose" computer.

Ok I confess it was me who posted that on Paul Becque's page.

Here's his reply to me

I guess Mark is talking about the £7.99 p&p and yes it is high but it's about the TOTAL COST. If you buy something for a pound okay it's really £11 with the cost of the phone call and p&p but if it costs £28 on the high st it's still a winner but I have done Gold Rings , Cameras , Video Cameras for a pound.

And in exactly the same way if you buy something for £30 it's TOTAL COST is £40 but if its £55 on the high st your still quids in!!!!! This is examples. our difference can often be far greater and we try to prove that with PRICE CHECKS when possible or time allows. I can't remember what it was but we beat the hell outta Tescos & Sainsburys.

And to add insult to injury I've seen similar (and better value) products cheaper on other shopping channels, such as the Datawind Ubisurfer as sold on Ideal World which looks very similar to Sit-up's "Allfine Netbook" (usually sold for £150 plus P&P), except on Ideal World the price is something like £130 with cheaper P&P and also comes with a year's free internet access. Plus Ideal World are more honest about the limitations of a Windows CE 'netbook' in that you often can't view video clips and it's sold as a basic internet access device as opposed to a "general purpose" computer.

Just watched Mike Smith (who I like) flogging the Allfine on Price-Drop, going on about how "all you need is your Word, your Excel, your internet, this leaves out the things you dont need so it quick at those you do". He also kept opening a program and saying"think about how long it takes to open Word on your office PC...on this you click on it, and just like that it opens, there's Word". Except...neither Word or Excel are on the thing, and what he was opening is WordPad, which very much is not Word!

I'm sure this was just a misunderstanding on his part, but it is a bit dodgy to say the least and should have been stopped by the producers as surely it's selling a product on doing things it won't do?

90% of the people on situps are failed actors/presenters. They would find it hard to get another, and keep it. Look at James Russell. Take whatever they say with a pinch of salt. I've seen stuff in B&M and pound shops much, much cheaper than the same things sold on situp. There are odd bargains here and there though and worth watching out for. My husband bought the complete Joan Hickson Marple on either bid ot price drop for £20 cheaper (including the postage) than play.com or amazon.
Just bear in mind that the presenters are trained to be buddy buddy with you, whilst pushing with a hard sell. At the end of the day, they are paid to be slick quick salesmen/women

Great for towels. Bedding, perfume and other bits and bobs. Some stuff is over priced. But for me most stuff is good value. I can't think of a shop where EVERY single item is cheaper than EVERYWHERE else. So you have to pick and choose and be a selective buyer.
For me I quite like being entertained while I buy things and I really like presenters like Paul Beck who explains the gadgets and things in a really simple way.you seldom find a shop assistant who will explain stuff to you.

If I don't like a presenter I have a really great way of not being annoyed by them.... I turn over :)

Ive seen quite alot of their stock in QD/pound stretcher including;

*Memoryfoam mattress toppers/pillows
*Bedding
*Eco wash balls
*Multi ladders
*Christmas decorations Etc

To be fair there are some good deals, but I understand some are a bit more expensive.

For example, the wash balls were £5 in Pound stretcher, and they were going for £5 at the time, but after adding the P&P, it is nearly 3x the price.

BUT last week they had a job lot of 10 books. www.amazon.co.uk sold the lot for over £140, and bid tv sold them for £12.99 + P&P which is amazing!

They also had a russell hobbs iron for £50 on tesco (This is the item paul becque meant on his facebook status) Which they shold for £12.99 + P&P

I look at it like this;
QVC - Harrods
Ideal World - Argos
Bid tv - QD

And it depends what you want for what channel to watch! i love bargains thats why I usually watch bid/price-drop.

Thats why QVC or Ideal world would usually sell Sony or big brand name TV's while bid tv usually sell Akura or Maxim. (To be fair they are getting more big brand name items in) But it depends if you are on a budget or not.

Just watched Mike Smith (who I like) flogging the Allfine on Price-Drop, going on about how "all you need is your Word, your Excel, your internet, this leaves out the things you dont need so it quick at those you do". He also kept opening a program and saying"think about how long it takes to open Word on your office PC...on this you click on it, and just like that it opens, there's Word". Except...neither Word or Excel are on the thing, and what he was opening is WordPad, which very much is not Word!

I'm sure this was just a misunderstanding on his part, but it is a bit dodgy to say the least and should have been stopped by the producers as surely it's selling a product on doing things it won't do?

I saw that exhibition too! That was against ASA Rules it was completely and utterly 100% missold!! Comments like "its the fastest netbook available", "it loads Word quicker than anything else" cannot be proven nor substantiated. And of course it isnt a netbook NOR does it have Word! Lie after lie!! I feel very sorry for anyone who fell for the guff and bought one of those sh!te things!!

Rich

Oh my goodness that is awful. I have seen those computers on Price drop and almost got one for my god daughter. So it's NOT a laptop? What on earth is it then? No wonder it is so cheap! It's a good job I don't know more about electricals I would go straight to the advertising standards people to report him !

No its not a laptop or netbook. Its basically a BASIC Internet surfer. It runs Windows CE which was originally designed for portable handheld devices many moons ago. If its the same as the UbiSurfer that IW sell it wont stream/play videos etc. Its just my opinion, but please don't waste your money on this crap!

Rich

Oh my goodness that is awful. I have seen those computers on Price drop and almost got one for my god daughter. So it's NOT a laptop? What on earth is it then? No wonder it is so cheap! It's a good job I don't know more about electricals I would go straight to the advertising standards people to report him !

nope and you can buy that same one refurbished for under £70 in most places

No its not a laptop or netbook. Its basically a BASIC Internet surfer. It runs Windows CE which was originally designed for portable handheld devices many moons ago. If its the same as the UbiSurfer that IW sell it wont stream/play videos etc. Its just my opinion, but please don't waste your money on this crap!

Rich

I feel really disgusted by this. What a con !

I have mailed them to see what they say about their lies! Will be interesting to see what they say (if they do!). Have told them that if I dont get a response soon, I will report them to the ASA as I am sure they will be interested to hear about misselling!

I'm not normally too bothered by stuff like this but this was a simple case of extreme misselling and I dont want "Mr Gullible" falling for the propoganda!

Rich

Well 48 hours and no reply from them!! No surprise I guess, so its off to the ASA I go!!

Rich

Right, complaint made to ASA via their online Complaints procedure!

Rich

Latest posts

Back