QVC presenters idea of "value"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

delh

Registered Shopper
I have jusy come in from work and switched the TV on for some background noise whilst getting the tea ready when I heard Ann Dawson say she thought that £33.50 plus £4.45 for a pair of sequinned Quaker 3/4 t shirsts would be good value for just one never mind 2!!!!

Excuse me?? I can get a lovely 3/4 sleeve t shirst from Primark covered in shiny sequins for about £8--If I really wanted one, which I dont so how can almost £38 quid for a "little top you can wear a couple of times over christmas" to quote Ms Dawson be "great value"

I do wonder what planet some of these people are on

Too true - I often think the presenters forget that the majority of people are not on their wages and that the odd £30, £40 to them could the difference between paying the mortgage or not for others.

Totally agree.

Clothes buying is difficult for me as many of you will know - it really isn't worth me spending inordinate amounts of money on clothes and as such I have to stick to 'cheaper' places like Primark and (gasp) Ethel Austin (though they keep going bust and re-hopening). About three years ago I bought three fleece tops from Ethel Austins - grand total of £7.50 for the lot. I still have them, they're still going strong after 50 trillion washes and are in excellent condition.

I think close to £40 for two cotton t-shirts is slightly on the extortionate side - and also remembering that you'll only be able to wear those partic ones at Xmas as they probably have sequinned xmas puddings or hand embellished blobs of flaming brandy butter on...

They're 'avin a larf innit

Totally agree.

Clothes buying is difficult for me as many of you will know - it really isn't worth me spending inordinate amounts of money on clothes and as such I have to stick to 'cheaper' places like Primark and (gasp) Ethel Austin (though they keep going bust and re-hopening). About three years ago I bought three fleece tops from Ethel Austins - grand total of £7.50 for the lot. I still have them, they're still going strong after 50 trillion washes and are in excellent condition.

I think close to £40 for two cotton t-shirts is slightly on the extortionate side - and also remembering that you'll only be able to wear those partic ones at Xmas as they probably have sequinned xmas puddings or hand embellished blobs of flaming brandy butter on...

They're 'avin a larf innit

totally agree with you all once in a while they need to realise not everyone gets paid as much as they do they seem completely oblivious sometimes

It's all "aspirational" stuff: they're playing up that old consumerist spiel of "You can't be happy unless you look like spending money means nothing to you".

After all, they want people to spend as much money as they can with them. The last thing they're going to suggest is that people slow down and "spend their pennies wisely".

It's all "aspirational" stuff: they're playing up that old consumerist spiel of "You can't be happy unless you look like spending money means nothing to you".

After all, they want people to spend as much money as they can with them. The last thing they're going to suggest is that people slow down and "spend their pennies wisely".

Agree K, but absurdity alienates.

Agree K, but absurdity alienates.

Well, yeah.

But how many people are actually feeling alienated, and how many are spending money they haven't got in order to "keep up"?

I bet there are loads of people spending like there's no tomorrow even though massive cuts are on the way.

I must admit here that I am not known for my control when spending--BUT I earn a good wage and can afford it. If I want something and I can afford it I will buy it however even then I want value for money sparkly t shirts and the like are only ever going to be worn a few times and so 38 quid for 2 t shirts is not value for money and how anyone could suggest it is baffles me

Ethel Austins was great for t shirts, jumpers pyjamas and the like sadly the one in our town has closed

I am missing the "thanks" button as I agree with all of you on this thread. Am typing this wearing a Matalan cardi, all cotton with pretty little heart shaped buttons that set me back all of £14 and washes like a dream and always gets compliments. Another thing in its favour is the lack of gurning animals awash with sequins!! Got my gas bill this morning so am not in very good mood as regards money..............

I am missing the "thanks" button as I agree with all of you on this thread. Am typing this wearing a Matalan cardi, all cotton with pretty little heart shaped buttons that set me back all of £14 and washes like a dream and always gets compliments. Another thing in its favour is the lack of gurning animals awash with sequins!! Got my gas bill this morning so am not in very good mood as regards money..............

:up: :up: :up:

:mysmilie_508: to everyone...

I miss our local Ethel Austin, which closed down a while ago..I have nighties from there that I've had for years, which wash & tumble and come up smiling - also socks & knickers for my OH, gloves, hats & scarves which make smashing stocking-fillers, undies, cardis, tee shirts...also Matalan for homewares (their clothes never seem to fit me!) - why on earth do we need to shop with QVC at all...??!!

:mysmilie_508: to everyone...

I miss our local Ethel Austin, which closed down a while ago..I have nighties from there that I've had for years, which wash & tumble and come up smiling - also socks & knickers for my OH, gloves, hats & scarves which make smashing stocking-fillers, undies, cardis, tee shirts...also Matalan for homewares (their clothes never seem to fit me!) - why on earth do we need to shop with QVC at all...??!!

A good question BM that I think alot of us are questioning ourselves over ever more. It is dire viewing at the mo.

This has always made me laugh! Good value my ar$e!!! I'm sorry but the only place you'd pay around the £30-£40 mark for a t-shirt would be in one of those little boutiques you find when you're holidaying in a quaint little village somewhere, where many of the locals are elderly and extremely rich, and don't need,( or want) for that matter to travel to the nearest town to find something cheaper. I know you can pay ridiculous prices for designer names, and whilst QVC will have you believe that Quacker Factory and Michele Hope are up there with Dolce & Gabana and Giorgio Armani - We're all fully aware that they're no more a name than Bon Marche or Peacocks, and that far better quality clothing can be purchased in Marks and Sparks at a fraction of the price too!

Latest posts

Back