Kleshna poppies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Chess

Registered Shopper
Am shocked to the core - IW sellling the Swarovski Poppy Crochet Brooch just now for £84.99. It's on the Kleshna website for £69.99. How low is that? There's a contribution to the British Legion on each item.

Last edited:
Am shocked to the core - IW sellling the Swarovski Poppy Crochet Brooch just now for £84.99. It's on the Kleshna website for £69.99. How low is that? There's a contribution to the British Legion on each item.

Does that mean that IW is giving a bigger contribution, then? :angel:

I'd rather stick a tenner in the collection tin & wear a traditional poppy. It all looks a bit unseemly to me - after all, the Legion poppy is a symbol of remembrance, loss, courage & sacrifice - not a glitzy, showbiz accessory that tries to say, "I've got a better poppy than YOU" - pathetic.

Ok with the RBL

The RBL Poppy Shop sells quite a selection of poppy products from jewellery to umbrellas, t-shirts and scarves. They have a lovely, quite small and subtle Buckley sparkly poppy for around £10, which I believe did once appear on QVC a while ago. I have this, it looks like the traditional English poppy (if you're in Scotland, you'll know the Scots ones look a bit different with 4 instead of 2 petals.). It's really lovely, very official and the RBL are more than happy to promote quite a lot of 'fancy' poppies nowadays. Many celebrities have been sporting designer versions that have then been auctioned and the Buckley one is the 'official one'. I'm selling poppies for the RBL this year and I'll be wearing mine alongside the traditional paper one.
The link for the Poppy Shop is here: http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/

Oh, and officially they don't mind whether you wear it left side or right side, in your hair, on your belt or wherever. What matters is that you remember.

I'd rather stick a tenner in the collection tin & wear a traditional poppy. It all looks a bit unseemly to me - after all, the Legion poppy is a symbol of remembrance, loss, courage & sacrifice - not a glitzy, showbiz accessory that tries to say, "I've got a better poppy than YOU" - pathetic.

couldn't agree more.

yep they're donating itsacraps and scarflaces to the chelsea pensioners

That was well worth fighting World Wars for: poor buggers should have surrendered when they had the chance.

And as for the brooches themselves: donating cash to this cause is paramount. Organisations such as IW shouldn't be making money out of the sacrifice people made for their country - it's disgusting.

That was well worth fighting World Wars for: poor buggers should have surrendered when they had the chance.

And as for the brooches themselves: donating cash to this cause is paramount. Organisations such as IW shouldn't be making money out of the sacrifice people made for their country - it's disgusting.

In a health shop yesterday and they were selling white poppies for peace. I have never seen these before and to educate peeps as ignorant as me here is a bit of info:-

WHITE POPPIES ARE FOR PEACE
The idea of decoupling Armistice Day , the red poppy and later Remembrance Day from their military culture dates back to 1926, just a few years after the British Legion was persuaded to try using the red poppy as a fundraising tool in Britain.

A member of the No More War Movement suggested that the British Legion should be asked to imprint 'No More War' in the centre of the red poppies instead of ‘Haig Fund’ and failing this pacifists should make their own flowers.

The details of any discussion with the British Legion are unknown but as the centre of the red poppy displayed the ‘Haig Fund’ imprint until 1994 it was clearly not successful. A few years later the idea was again discussed by the Co-operative Women's Guild who in 1933 produced the first white poppies to be worn on Armistice Day (later called Remembrance Day). The Guild stressed that the white poppy was not intended as an insult to those who died in the First World War - a war in which many of the women lost husbands, brothers, sons and lovers. The following year the newly founded Peace Pledge Union joined the CWG in the distribution of the poppies and later took over their annual promotion.

I've never seen the white poppies; considering their history I would prefer to buy one of them to commemorate both the servicemen and women who gave their lives, but also the people left behind who made sacrifices too.

Especially since WWI was supposed to have been the "war to end all wars", its' impact having been far greater than any other armed conflict held up to then.

Unfortunately, we seem to live in a world where human life is considered to be quite cheap. So much for the sacrifices of those servicepeople and their families. :sad:

I have heard of white poppies going back a few years. Never seen them on sale anywhere.

I have heard them called the coward's poppies as those who refused to join and fight wore them in the early days. Yet many who would not fight did go to the front and help in the medical side driving injured to hospitals etc.

Latest posts

Back