AY- Our resident beauty expert

• Thread starter Deleted member 3549
  • Start date
ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

D

Deleted member 3549

Guest Shopper
I know its probably been said before but......

I was watching the Bobbi Brown hour on QVC Beauty for abit. Alison's make-up was truly awful. The main problem is always the cheeks...she always looks like she has two stripes of coloured oil or grease down them.

Surely she can tell it looks awful and I know presenters have to wear more make up on camera but surely.......

Surely being a beauty 'expert' as she tells us she is, she should at least be able to appreciate how bad her make up makes her look

I know its probably been said before but......

I was watching the Bobbi Brown hour on QVC Beauty for abit. Alison's make-up was truly awful. The main problem is always the cheeks...she always looks like she has two stripes of coloured oil or grease down them.

Surely she can tell it looks awful and I know presenters have to wear more make up on camera but surely.......

Surely being a beauty 'expert' as she tells us she is, she should at least be able to appreciate how bad her make up makes her look

It truly baffles me. No one dare tell her maybe. Maybe they have and she's ignored them.
Maybe she likes looking like a painted doll. You would think Mally would have the guts to sort her out, or maybe she has offered.

I usually go for the blusher + shimmer look but not nearly as garish as AY. Though I find they generally tend to overdo the shimmer and call it a 'healthy glow". I think it just makes you look sweaty! Worst offender are usually Jemma Kidd hours.

Did anyone see AY on the Beauty Channel doing an introduction yesterday?
She wasn't shouting for a change and just spoke in a normal manner, it was
really weird to listen to, but would be nice if she spoke that way during the usual beauty hours.

A refreshing change. :nod:

Her make-up technique is shocking and does her no favours at all. It's so bad particularly the stripey cheeks, that my OH umprompted remarked how awful it looks - and he's a man. :grin:

Her make-up technique is shocking and does her no favours at all. It's so bad particularly the stripey cheeks, that my OH umprompted remarked how awful it looks - and he's a man. :grin:

I should hope "he" is :thinking:

And not all men are clueless when it comes to spotting women wanting to look like the secret love child of Coco the Clown and Baby Jane :cheeky:

Did anyone see AY on the Beauty Channel doing an introduction yesterday?
She wasn't shouting for a change and just spoke in a normal manner, it was
really weird to listen to, but would be nice if she spoke that way during the usual beauty hours.

A refreshing change. :nod:

I saw it MsT and thought the same. She also wasnt dressed in all those ridiculous frou frou sparkles, she just had a stripey shirt on didnt she, and looked miles better.

Her eye make is atrocious at times. Like two black holes. Far too heavy & does nothing for her at all.

glad it's not just me that has wondered about AY and her rosy cheeks, she looks like she's a baby teething!!!

I agree that the majority of the time, at the moment ,Ali's makeup,hair and dress sense are suspect but on occasions i think her hair and makeup(but not her dress sense) looks lovely making her skin look great and makes her look a good bit younger - weird one? Anyone remember in the early days of QVC Ali always wore her beautician's uniform( there was only "in the salon with Alison" then) and her long light blonde hair in a pony tail, she looked very professional.

Anyone remember in the early days of QVC Ali always wore her beautician's uniform( there was only "in the salon with Alison" then) and her long light blonde hair in a pony tail, she looked very professional.

I agree. Think it would be a good idea for her to revert back to this. She has obviously now been taking style tips from Glen, hence the frightful outfits and make-up tips from Marilyn Manson. Not a great look for a shopping channel really.

I agree that the majority of the time, at the moment ,Ali's makeup,hair and dress sense are suspect but on occasions i think her hair and makeup(but not her dress sense) looks lovely making her skin look great and makes her look a good bit younger - weird one? Anyone remember in the early days of QVC Ali always wore her beautician's uniform( there was only "in the salon with Alison" then) and her long light blonde hair in a pony tail, she looked very professional.

Just like the guest on IW, she always looks professional and ready for business.

I really like that IW lady and I feel she is quite a rare person, as she really does believe in what she talks about. She is knowledgeable about beauty and believes in skin care, but also she is concerned about what she eats and I think she does yoga. She takes a holistic approach. Beauty is not just about skincare, it is also about lliving a healthy lifestyle and I am afraid Ali forgets about that. Ali looks tired at the moment and I wish she would take more care of herself. Although I like her no nonsense attitude sometimes.

Last edited:
You'd think that AY would know what colour blusher to wear on TV what with her being so knowledgeable about all thinks skin care and make-up wise.

Some days she just looks plain shiny. Matt it down woman:taphead:

Plus, the only thing that looks good with stripes is a Zebra:cheeky:

I really like that IW lady and I feel she is quite a rare person, as she really does believe in what she talks about. She is knowledgeable about beauty and believes in skin care, but also she is concerned about what she eats and I think she does yoga. She takes a holistic approach. Beauty is not just about skincare, it is also about lliving a healthy lifestyle and I am afraid Ali forgets about that. Ali looks tired at the moment and I wish she would take more care of herself. Although I like her no nonsense attitude sometimes.

I completely agree re Mandy on IW. Of course, she is still a saleswoman - but she always looks the part, smartly dressed, barely there make up and is clean and well presented (I think she's probably the best thing on that channel). She certainly does take a proper approach to beauty, looking at all aspects rather than just the latest chemical loaded wonder product you can smear on. I remember her once saying she used rosehip oil on a daily basis on her skin, and that while she does use other products this is the mainstay of her routine. She is in her mid 40s but looks about 20!! :drunk:

As much as I like AY as a person in her own right (and I do) rather than as a QVC saleswoman she needs to realise that just because she throws the words 'formla', 'ingreejunt' and 'seeerum' into her sentences every so often doesn't mean she sounds any more technical or well informed!:talking:

I completely agree re Mandy on IW. Of course, she is still a saleswoman - but she always looks the part, smartly dressed, barely there make up and is clean and well presented (I think she's probably the best thing on that channel). She certainly does take a proper approach to beauty, looking at all aspects rather than just the latest chemical loaded wonder product you can smear on. I remember her once saying she used rosehip oil on a daily basis on her skin, and that while she does use other products this is the mainstay of her routine. She is in her mid 40s but looks about 20!! :drunk:

As much as I like AY as a person in her own right (and I do) rather than as a QVC saleswoman she needs to realise that just because she throws the words 'formla', 'ingreejunt' and 'seeerum' into her sentences every so often doesn't mean she sounds any more technical or well informed!:talking:

I very rarely watch IW but I agree about Mandy and couldn't believe it when she said she was in her 40's. As you say Cavegirl, she doesn't wear much make up and this is where I think Alison could learn from her. I know from previous threads on here that she has had health problems and maybe she feels the need to wear more than necessary to disguise this - I don't know - but I have seen her with less make up on and it suits her much better. I think also as Glamburglar said that she would look better if she went back to wearing a beautician's uniform - it would improve how she looks totally and there would be no more comments about her suspect (at times!) dress sense.

I have looked at this forum a lot, I have read a lot of comments, I am a makeup artist, wearing this much makeup will give us all a bad name!!

I like Alison Young. I want her to wear the uniform like she used too, and not so much on her face, and a better hair cut!

Latest posts

Back