WARNING - check your invoices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Meeshoo

Registered Shopper
I've just checked out a pair of gold and diamond earrings for £149. When I got the confirmatory email I noticed that I've been charged £150 plus P&P.

I phoned customer service because thought a mistake had been made because with gold items you get free authenticity cards. Was told that yesterday the rules changed and now you have to pay for authenticity cards for ALL items.

I explained that when I checked out, it clearly states that the cards are free with gold items - and did a test to make sure I wasn't going barmy - see second bullet point of screen print below.

The CS Agent agreed to refund me the money and okay, it's only £1 but why on earth isn't this made clear up front and why on earth can't the wording be changed at the same time? Anyway, I've reported this to GemsTV so let's hope the change to wording is actioned and it's made crystal clear what you're paying for. If you have multiple gold items and were blissfully unaware of this change you could end up paying a few quid when you may not want to.

Why do the rules keep changing? :taphead:

And, by contrast, I received a really expensive (£6 :giggle:) Lapis Lazuli bracelet today complete with an authenticity card (which I had not requested) and I have not been charged for it!

Rearrange these words : and reason rhyme no. :smirk:

And, by contrast, I received a really expensive (£6 :giggle:) Lapis Lazuli bracelet today complete with an authenticity card (which I had not requested) and I have not been charged for it!

Rearrange these words : and reason rhyme no. :smirk:

Snap, I got free card for a £6 bracelet too but it was yellow jade not lapis.

If they have changed rules I wonder if they have stopped showing or edited their little advert that explains about the certificates you can print and the cards for gold items. It was still being shown last week.

Sazza the customer care rep said the change happened yesterday BUT as you'll see the website still says free authenticity card for gold items.

For some weeks now, cards have not been automatically sent with non gold items - you have to request and pay £1 for them. So, even though the change happened yesterday, Meeshoo, the cards Sazza and I received were not expected under the "old" arrangements which is just another example of Rocks/Gems inconsistency.

Perdita I understand and have received some myself! It's very confusing but at least you weren't charged! My issue is that today I've been charged when clearly the on screen message says otherwise AND there's been no announcement of the change!

I realise this, Meeshoo, and my point is that it is another in the long list of inconsistencies we have all encountered whether it's wrong information on screen messages, unexpected cards or a plethora of other circumstances we have all mentioned ad nauseum on this forum. The bottom line is that communication and the dissemination of information is the key when running a business of this type and it is sadly lacking these days.

Weirdly enough, I seem to have been charged a few times when the item had gold in it, and I think this was a month or so ago. It all seems very ad hoc. I think I posted about it somewhere, since there was no explanation for the charge and I was a bit puzzled. Which isn't like me, as you know...

I must say, reading through the Rocks section during the night hours, things seem to have changed an awful lot from what they once were, and I only wish that I'd become interested in jewellery back then as the changes and lack of info about what's going on is a definite change for the worse.

Last edited:
Well they have updated the info at checkout, it now reads as follows:

◦Free online certificate with every piece
◦Free plastic authenticity card with all Lorique items
◦Upgrade to a plastic card on other items for £1 per item by ticking the items above
◦For every plastic card upgrade, 50p will be donated to Earthwatch

Strangley though silver chains at £4 and £5 come with free authenticity cards!!! How bizarre!!!

Latest posts

Back