How are we to believe the hype on haircare....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

dottiebird

Registered Shopper
Just checking in to the Michael diCesare hair care stuff on the Todays Special Value:giggle:

OMG why do these ugly looking blokes with hair that looks like it has been dragged out of the depths of my vacuum cleaner think we seriously think that ............"oh my, I do so want my hair to look like yours" Yeah it looks like you went to bed and totally forgot to wash it, comb it and slept in the dogs bed..........................I've seen better hair in my plughole mate............................:confused:

Just checking in to the Michael diCesare hair care stuff on the Todays Special Value:giggle:

OMG why do these ugly looking blokes with hair that looks like it has been dragged out of the depths of my vacuum cleaner think we seriously think that ............"oh my, I do so want my hair to look like yours" Yeah it looks like you went to bed and totally forgot to wash it, comb it and slept in the dogs bed..........................I've seen better hair in my plughole mate............................:confused:

I was thinking exactly the same -maybe Michael and Mr Kingsley are competing for the worst hair award :giggle:

There was an article in the paper this week that said that if you pay £50 or 50p for your shampoo they're basically exactly the same. So I'll stick to whatever is on offer in Asda thanks (do like Elvive though):bandit:

I have to say, MdC's shampoo (the oat wash) really did help me a few years ago when I was suffering from a bad phase of scalp psoriasis, nothing else worked and it turned my hair from something akin to wire wool (as a result of the treatments) back into hair again

...and Ojon has done wonders for mine, my hairdresser noticed the difference immediately. He secretly recommends it to people as he sells a well-known and well-reviewed Hairdresser's product which he is supposed to plug.

love my philip kingsley and ojon and l'occitane rose shampoo and conditioner. but the styling products tbh really make a difference. the wrong one can really give you a bad hair day.

Michael is recovering from cancer so that no doubt had an effect on his hair.
He did use to have long flowing locks when he used to be on QVC years ago.

I read that article, but it was all the ones using SLS etc in them that are the same. Did not mention the organic or natural ranges which do not use them. I am using John Masters and Kevin Murphy at the moment and the first ingredient is not aqua but aloe. They use a coconut base for foaming as well not the SLS type. I know alot of shampoos make my head feel like its alive and I scratch. It includes the ones in the supermarket and the higher end hairdresser brands too. Think it might be the fragrance they use?

Ojon was fine with me, but I hated Michael diC's range as I tried it long ago and the smell of it turned me. Sickly sweet apricots whick hung round like forever.

I read that article too Rozzy...I have to say I've never noticed a lot of difference in my hair whatever I use, and I've even used washing-up liquid in my time! At the mo I'm using my cheap stuff from Tesco and my hair & scalp are absolutely fine - yet my skin is ultra sensitive so you'd think scalp would be too. One thing I remember trying a few years ago was that Fructis, and that brought me out in itchy spots all around my hairline so I've never used that again, but most of the time, I don't have problems whatever I use.

I have to say, MdC's shampoo (the oat wash) really did help me a few years ago when I was suffering from a bad phase of scalp psoriasis, nothing else worked and it turned my hair from something akin to wire wool (as a result of the treatments) back into hair again

Yes I agree the Oat Wash was the best product on QVC. :up:

I remember very early QVC days with AY saying that a lot of supermarket brands use petrochemicals in their hair products. She made a comment on the lines of would you rub petrol into your hair beacuse that is what these brands contain.

I have to admit that once I forgot my hair stuff when going away so brought herbal essences brand. My hair went like straw after one use. I dragged my husband the next day to a big town & found some Aveda. Difference in my hair when I washed it again was obvious.

Did not know that about Michael although I have thought that he does not look all that well. Hope he continues to recover.

Last edited:
I thought he came across really well. Some American's drive me mad they are so bouncy and OTT but he was lovely.

Haven't tried his shampoo but am tempted by the oat shampoo as I do have terrible scalp problems especially when I'm stressed - so most of the time really!!!!!

There was an article in the paper this week that said that if you pay £50 or 50p for your shampoo they're basically exactly the same. So I'll stick to whatever is on offer in Asda thanks (do like Elvive though):bandit:

I saw that article in the mail on monday, I think even Kingsley admitted people will pay large sums of money for shampoo that makes hair smell nice. I noticed this morning De C had a shampoo with Argan oil £25 with p&p for 250ml what a rip off. It sound like something you would oil your bike chain with.

I have to admit, even though I read that article, that I do like my Ojon. I keep trying find a replacement for it. Thought L'Occitane Shea Butter was good but it's not the same. I find the Ojon Shine and Protect the best.

I have fine hair and bought the try me from MdC. I can only say that I was very impressed and have bought the TSV. I can also say that I did not get on at all with Ojon, tried PK but was also not impressed. Can use Aveda, but can not use a lot of the High street brands more then a couple of times.

Due to having chemo, I only use products free of SLS and other irritants, which isn't to say that natural stuff is non-irritant, but shampoos and conditioners from John Masters and Green People etc are exceedingly gentle and don't cause soreness on my scalp which the other stuff would.

A trained hairdresser who worked for l'oreal selling their products told me the same thing more than 10 years ago. She used a tesco own brand one herself even though she had access to many other formulations. Its the conditioners and products that make the difference!

I also read the article in Monday's Daily Mail. It was a very enlightening read considering Mr Kingsley was quoted. I'll stick to my cheap 59p and 89p shampoo's from Boots in future which have 5 star reviews. I tried the new John Frieda root awakening shampoo and conditioner, there was no difference to my hair, so I won't be purchasing that again and the other John Frieda products don't suit my hair!!

Sometimes for me personally the cheaper things work better than the expensive products.

As another poster mentioned organic based ranges e.g John Masters, Weleda and A'Kin weren't mentioned as it was comparing generic shampoo ingredients. The ingredients that were mentioned can be found in cheap shampoo's aswell as Mr Kingsley's range, as far as I'm concerned I am not giving a premium range my money if I can get the same ingredients cheaper.

A trained hairdresser who worked for l'oreal selling their products told me the same thing more than 10 years ago. She used a tesco own brand one herself even though she had access to many other formulations. Its the conditioners and products that make the difference!

I'm the same with washing powder I always have a box of either Ariel or Persil for whites only, so that lasts for weeks because we don't have a lot of white stuff except for socks and towels, but I buy the biggest and cheapest box of Asda washing powder for everything else. I live in a house where mostly it's dark colours worn, tee shirts, trousers, jeans, school uniform and tbh, the cheapest powder is every bit as good on those things as an expensive one. Most of it just needs freshening up.
I do like a nice softener though, but own brand ones are as good as dear ones nowadays imo.
Save your pennies and get the cheapest powder for your dark colours:bandit::muscle:

I was always a fan of Michael DiCesare's OatWash, loved it and was gutted he stopped making it as it really seemed to suit my hair. But I switched to A'kin and haven't looked back since. For me, the issue now seems to be SLS, I can't use it at all on my scalp, suddenly got very sensitive to it - no matter how cheap or 'spensive the range. I don't seem to be able to use anything L'Oreal on it (my hair generally bristles whenever Cheryl Cole is mentioned anyway) and I simply can't use anything that appears 'pearlised' in colour (I don't know why the figgy heck that is) on my hair as my scalp chucks a wobbler.

But generally speaking my hairdresser (who has 30 yurrs experience in the hurrdressing industry) says there is nothing wrong with buying supermarket own brand shampoo - it's just the same as the more 'spensive ones, usually the top 6 ingredients are the same...

I've used Aveda since QVC introduced it but in the last year I have been trying out other shampoos and conditioners especially SLS free as my scalp goes potty and itches like I have a flea infestation! Tried MOP and ended up with terrible scalp and neck rash.

Was surprised to see that Holland & Barrett's website selling A'Kin and have some bargain offers on all their range. http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2452&prodid=2700

Currently using this which is SLS and Paraben free:
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1269&prodid=1501

If anyone has a Boyes store near them they are selling these for 89p!! (instead of £4.59)

Latest posts

Back