Philosophy from US

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

C

Capirossi

Guest Shopper
I know you can't buy from QVC US with a UK address, but Philosophy will ship here for $39.99 :cash::heartbroke:

I only bleedin want some pumps for my shower gels ($1.75 each!!), but am willing to throw a few Christmas goodies into my basket, just to make the P&P worthwhile you know :tongue: hehe

What I am concerned about is the charges I may incur when it gets here - import tax is it? Anyone have any experience of ordering from the States? Is this charge a definite, or do some slip through the net?

Alternativey, anyone know of any stockists that have a decent range of goods that are either UK based or ship to the UK for less than £25? :dull:

I'm glad you've asked this as this is something that puts me off, as I don't know what happens to parcels when they arrive this end.

I think John Lewis online stock Philosophy, and HQHair, but I'm not sure how much of a variety they stock.

They have a few bits on both sites, but nowhere seems to have all the holiday stock, or the simple things like the pumps :-( I think Philosophy are missing a trick with their UK fans - they could either lower the p&p or let their UK stockists carry more of their range. I am so close to pressing checkout on the official site, but am worried that as well as costing a small fortune already I may be hit with crazy charges to release it from customs or whatever it is!

Hi

I hope this helps

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

I order some stuff from the states - crafting stuff cost $111.00 paid £20 costs this side. The royal mail hold your parcel hostage for you - the break down of the costs was £11 VAT and £8 hostage charge (irrespective of value).

Would I do it again - definitely - saved a fortune on UK prices!

From personal experience plus what I've read on a UK Florida forum, they (HMRC) don't seem to charge every parcel, I guess they do it on a random or percentage basis. I posted 2 boxes from Florida in March ( too much shopping :angel:) and paid was charged on one - £18 on a box of $150. The annoying thing is that they charged VAT on the postage and Royal Mail charge a few quid for collecting the duty before they'll deliver.

I saved well over £100 with the goodies in my boxes so I was happy to pay a bit of duty.

PS if you only want some spare pumps to go inside the bottle, I could get some for you when I'm in Florida again in a couple of weeks time.

From personal experience plus what I've read on a UK Florida forum, they (HMRC) don't seem to charge every parcel, I guess they do it on a random or percentage basis. I posted 2 boxes from Florida in March ( too much shopping :angel:) and paid was charged on one - £18 on a box of $150. The annoying thing is that they charged VAT on the postage and Royal Mail charge a few quid for collecting the duty before they'll deliver.

I saved well over £100 with the goodies in my boxes so I was happy to pay a bit of duty.

PS if you only want some spare pumps to go inside the bottle, I could get some for you when I'm in Florida again in a couple of weeks time.

Aww, thank you, that is so kind of you :mysmilie_508: As long as you won't be going out of your way, only if you're passing! I do have a few bits in my basket but I don't really want them, just trying to justify the p&p! I'll send you a PM. Thanks again :mysmilie_467:

I've ordered stuff from the States and never been stung by Customs on beauty and skincare items, including showergels etc. However, I recently ordered a couple of Victorian style lace chokers from an American seller (incredibly light in weight), and was astonished to find that the teensy weensy jiffy envelope had been opened by Customs in the US, then passed to Customs in the UK, and what had been an initial postage of about £6 turned into postage + Customs fee of £27! I was a bit miffed to say the least. Still, at least it distracted them from my other package which was full of crack cocaine...

Getting caught can be random. I know when the Emu boots from Oz where so much cheaper quite a few people here did not get caught. Then bang someone did with I believe it was £45 charge.

Some places will mark the value as lower but many will not. I know on a beauty board I view someone did get caught with Philosophy from the US. It made her order more expensive than to buy in the UK in the end.

Once you hit the £18 mark get are due and as has been said the Royal Mail add their charge on top for the pleasure of collecting it on behalf of Customs.

I have been caught once and it was beauty products. Love Tipton Charles Seaweed Mask but to make up for the shipping charge I added two more items which bought it up to £21 or £22. I was charged £11+ and lets say no matter how much I like the face mask did not order again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back