Disappointing Diamonds!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

briolette

Registered Shopper
Hi all,
A couple of weeks ago I watched a luxury diamond hour (!!) and despite moving the phone into the kitchen under the tea cosy, I found myself fancying a ring. Dashed to the phone and ordered, having scribbled down the presenter, Ian's description. Felt excited about the purchase and couldn't wait for delivery. The ring arrived and I opened the box in daylight, I could not believe my eyes when my first thought about the diamonds was, they are definitely yellowish! I looked at them outdoors and under halogen lights but even though they looked slightly brighter, I still could not shake that feeling that these stones did not live up to the description.
They were supposed to be Iliana SI and G in colour, but they looked very poor in colour and clarity.
I know I've had much better Iliana stones in the past so maybe I've just been really unlucky this time. I sent the ring back and am waiting for a refund.
It's really made me lose confidence though and I'm thinking maybe I will look on the high street and just cough up the massive mark up, at least I could judge the ring there and then.
Such a shame though! Has anyone else had this happen? I've usually read such positive praise for Iliana diamonds.
Love Chris xx

Hi Chris, i had an Iliana ring a few years ago that wasn't in my opinion si/GH but i did continue to buy and had no problems since.
I haven't bought any diamonds from TJC for ages so i don't know if you were just unlucky or their quality has dropped but i be surprise if they lowered the quality of their diamonds as that is one of their good points.
I would never pay high street prices again, what kind of diamond rind are you looking for? maybe we can give you some ideas where you may find it.

I too have had the odd rogue Iliana that most definitely hasn't had SI and G-H diamonds BUT when I look at the embarrassing amount of Iliana boxes I have, I have to say that the number of times they get it wrong is seriously out weighed by the times they get it right.

I would urge you to get another for a look and most definitely not to give up on TJC. They are by far the best for diamonds of all the jewellery channels AND most High Street stores. If you go into H Samuel and one of those other rip off jewellers, take a look at their rubbish diamonds and how much they're asking and you'll soon be dialing TJC's number again! :)

Please don't buy from the High Street. Whilst TJC are not as cheap as they were several years ago, they are still much cheaper than most other places.

:mysmilie_497:
Like Messho I have a hugh mountain of Iliana boxes (they're so nice I can't bear to throw them away, how sad is that !), most of them were diamond rings and although I have returned items it's been because the style didn't suit me, never, ever because of the quality of the stones or settings. I've even compared them to a Rhapsody piece and there was so very, very little difference that I don't think I'll consider upgrading again as IMHO it's not worth the extra expense. I think that you must have been extremely unlucky to get a duff one and that you would only regret it in the future if you bought from the High Street
:mysmilie_864:

Hi Gem, Meeshoo and Diamond!
Thanks very much for your replies, it's encouraging to know that Iliana diamonds are mostly pleasing and the quality high. I'm thinking that I was just unlucky this time, and I have to admit the high street shops do not appeal, especially at this time of year when prices will be even higher. Once my refund is back (£2000!), I will take another look and see if a similar ring comes up.
Just so you know what I'm looking for, it was a 5 stone princess cut ring in white gold, it sat nicely on the finger as the ring was not too high, I'm too clumsy to wear a towering setting.
To be honest, I'm not so worried about getting a bargain, more that for once I would like some really stunning clean, bright white sparkling stones! Is there hope?!
Just wanted to say that I appreciate reading everyones posts, it's great to hear what other people like and are interested in and makes buying so much more fun.
Love Chris x

Wow Chris, for your budget you should have had something really special and not the disappointing stones you were sent.

What sort of carat weight were you looking for overall and is it the eternity type of ring? I had a look at Diamond Geezer as their website has plenty of online selections in gold and platinum and the one I came across as an example, though it is significantly cheaper and probably too small a carat weight is this one.....

http://www.diamondgeezer.com/shop/product/18ct-white-gold-eternity-diamond-ring-19-050181-f/

.....but the diamonds are VS and colour F, plus you can discuss your exact requirements with the sales staff on freephone....and they used to do mates rates!

Wow Chris, for your budget you should have had something really special and not the disappointing stones you were sent.

What sort of carat weight were you looking for overall and is it the eternity type of ring? I had a look at Diamond Geezer as their website has plenty of online selections in gold and platinum and the one I came across as an example, though it is significantly cheaper and probably too small a carat weight is this one.....

http://www.diamondgeezer.com/shop/product/18ct-white-gold-eternity-diamond-ring-19-050181-f/

.....but the diamonds are VS and colour F, plus you can discuss your exact requirements with the sales staff on freephone....and they used to do mates rates!

And this is only an example of what they can make! I've been using them for years (and in fact they're doing another project for me at the moment). The examples/prices on their website and purely that! Give Clive or Luke a call and I'm positive they'll help!

On a more positive note about TJC, I bought a 5 stone Iliana princess cut ring from them about 2-3 years ago and it was stunning - I think it was 1ct in total (could have been bigger) but it was lovely.

Hi Gem, Sacha and Meeshoo,
Thanks..you guys really are the best! I will take a look at all your recommendations and once my refund is in I will enjoy choosing something really special and your advice has fired up my enthusiasm again!
There is nothing like personal recommendations for pointing someone in the right direction..and of course I promise photos once the deal is done!
with love and big thanks, Chris x

Latest posts

Back