How To Present Jewellery To 3 Year Olds.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I

iclaudipuss

Guest Shopper
"And what can we see in this ring? I'm seeing great clarity and great colour, are you? Can you see how clear the colour is, it's really clear, isn't it?"

Thanks for that, Rae, but I don't need to be spoken to as if I'm some sort of eejit. And by the way, you've just said that you've got a sore throat. Just a suggestion from this three year old viewer, it might be something to do with the CONSTANT SHOUTING. Perhaps you should try, just try, to remember that you are wearing a microphone and we are NOT ****** DEAF!

All credit to Rae, though, she did explain the word 'premiere' the other day, and I know I'd been struggling with the meaning of this 3 syllable word for some time. Apparently, and this will amaaaaaaze you, IT REALLY WILL, it means, and I quote: "This is a premiere piece; that means it's never been seen before; THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE HAVE SHOWN THIS RING. THIS IS A PREMIERE!"
I thought it was a new gemstone, and I was wondering if it could possibly be as rare as tanzanite.
"Be part of the Premiere story. Get your sterling silver Premiere valued, and let us know just how much your Premiere is worth. Remember, Premiere is RARE, almost as rare as diamonds, and it's only found in one place in the world, Premiereville, which is just outside Stockport. For 6 months of the year, the climate makes it impossible to mine for Premiere, so take advantage of it while we have this tiny quantity in stock. Steve just can't get hold of any more Premiere right now, he's even gone over to Jaipur to search. None of us wanted to tell him that Jaipur is nowhere near Stockport, but he'll probably realise his mistake before too long. Can you see the play of light on this beautiful stone? Our margins on Premiere are so unbelievably tight, so you can be sure you are getting a great Premiere deal, and flippin' 'eck, oh, my word, this is the LOWEST EVER PRICE! It's not fake, it's not perlastic, it's very gerlamorous, look at the rich berlues, and have I mentioned that it's rare?"

You can't beat a bit of Premiere - I always thought it came from somewhere near the Ooooorals though....

I think there's a heavy-handed attempt at neuro-linguistic programming going on here - it's quite primitive, but someone has obviously mentioned that emphasis and constant repetition might be a persuasive sales technique. I also think that the Coloured Rocks Training Manual is written on a piece of laminate the size of a credit card so it is handy at all times, just in case one forgets the salient points: after all, there's not much to it!

Let's all have a go - select one, or all of the following words or phrases and repeat as necessary:

"We have"
"You have"
"A chance"
"An opportunity"
"A steal of a deal"
"It's rare, rare, rare"
"It's amazing"
"It's phenomenal"
"It's triple A, triple A, TRIPLE A!!!!"
"It's the lowest price ever"
"It's closed at this price"

Right - I can't give you any more help; you're on your own now and fully equipped to be a presenter. Ooh - I would add - don't forget to apply your make-up with a mop, and practise your voice projection daily by seeing if you can make next doors cat's ears bleed through the wall...

Jinny x

Jinny - you've missed a critical piece of advice!

How about the good old sales tactic of:

"This is £149 ONLY"

Oh, only? Great, thanks. That makes it such a deal!

And then there's the good old (unfair) comparison e.g.

Scott selling the 500 auction of multi gemstone bracelets for £89 (26ct) shows a US printout of a bracelet for sale in the US that has almost 10ct of gemstones more! Oh and then says "for £10 more you can buy the same bracelet on the internet with CZs". I'm sure TJC will be thrilled to hear that considering for £99 they have a platinum overlay Sterling Silver bracelet, with 4ct gemstones less but a wider selection of gemstones AND not a CZ in sight!

http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/ProductDetail.aspx?StockCode=741906&ISFPC=true

I completely agree with you, except I think I feel even more strongly about it. I think it's downright dishonest to compare with items in the US just printed off the internet. If I just printed off items for sale on Coloured Rocks, they too would seem extremely expensive.
Not to mention the ludicrous time it took to drop the price, goodness me can that man yap!
Lovely bracelet on Meesh's link to TJC and at the moment you can even get 10% off that price and it would probably go for even less in an auction. However, Scott compares with random bracelets on American websites in dollars. What's the matter, Scott, with comparing to TJC, which is after all far closer to home? Don't you dare? Do you fear it might show up slightly less favourably for you? Gems has really tested my patience on this one! :headbang: :headbang:

Ooooo, glad other people thought the same as I did this morning - see my thread on the very same thing. A whole hour for 2 bleedin' auctions and a load of pointless blether. And not very remarkable end prices, either.

I've got to say that it made my blood boil - the comparisons. The end prices for both items were unremarkable. They were absolutely 100% comparable with TJCs pricing. I do hope that all those who bought, had had an opportunity to look around. Don't get me wrong, the end prices were still decent BUT the unfair comparisons were just plainly out of order. How many times has this happened? It's disgraceful.

Oh and Scott - how about comparing the gemstones that you were telling us were untreated? The bog standard dark red unremarkable garnets that you banged on about are normally untreated - so you're not getting anything special! You conveniently forgot to say that didn't you?

By the way, since when was heating not considered a treatment????? So the Citrines and Amethysts are unheated are they? Think not!

Last edited:
I was watching also and agree that the comparisons were unnecessary as I think a lot of folks had already decided they wanted these pieces. To dive in when the price hasn't moved is a leap of faith imho and I was amazed how many peeps did this...not something I would do ..or ever have. Cautious...moi...yes!

Tbh I think they could have got away with leaving the price of the bracelet at £99, for the amount of silver/gemstones and work involved, it was a fair(ish) price. And as for the necklace, they got the stats wrong, it was double the carat weight shown! But even though I was initially tempted by the necklace, as we don't often see pieces like this come up,
the price would've had to be just a little bit lower for me to get involved. :tongue:

Eeeee, reading the earlier posts in this thread, I thought we were embarking on another Lingo Bingo thread.......
or was it Bingo Lingo? :happy:

I really liked the necklace, but after all the hype I wanted a really fantastic deal, particularly in light of the fact that they put 200 into the auction, and they burbled on endlessly about this being the deal of a lifetime. Well, if it's the 24 hour lifetime of the mayfly, fair enough, but even in my shortened lifespan I think I'll find similar deals elsewhere.
The hype was way out of proportion to the end prices, and I'd be very interested to know the stats of people who didn't go through with the purchase, I bet it's a fair few.

Latest posts

Back