Buckley Poppy Brooch

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BusyLizzie

Registered Shopper
Just spotted this on the homepage of the website - wonder if QVC will be making a donation of the total sales to The Royal British Legion? Now that would be a very nice gesture indeed to a very deserving cause especially in view of the obscene amounts of money certain members of the public are making by selling them on eBay!

Lol, BL, I was just about to log off when I spotted that too and had the very same thought.

Here's the link :

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.a...html.|metadrill,html?cm_re=Panel-_-6-_-338826

I wonder if it's a specially made for QVC one though as they describe it as being "gold tone" whereas the British Legion one is described as being 18kt. Gold Plated. I wouldn't be surprised if QVC are pegging their price the same as this one from the official source but for a slightly inferior product....or I am being just a tad cynical? The main question is, how much do the RBL get from each one sold?

Last edited:
When IW sold the other brand Kesiha(sp) ones they only gave 10% to the RBL, where the actually website for the brand gave all on one particular poppy and more on the rest.

Just spotted this on the homepage of the website - wonder if QVC will be making a donation of the total sales to The Royal British Legion? Now that would be a very nice gesture indeed to a very deserving cause especially in view of the obscene amounts of money certain members of the public are making by selling them on eBay!

I hope they will! But it won't cut into their profits too deeply I'm sure! Daughter and I were out & about in Nottm over the weekend and they'd got little kids (cadets) selling the poppies, they looked frozen to death poor mites! Most people, lot of young ones, just walking past without a glance, it's so sad. Another couple of generations will they still be having Remembrance Sunday I wonder?

Mr Buckley just said all the revenue not just the profit is going to the British Legion.

Jude xx

..and it's out of stock already! Stand by for loads to be listed on ebay! :wonder:

My thoughts exactly as there are some very greedy people out there. Perhaps, under the circumstances, QVC should have placed a limit on the number you could actually purchase!

All our service personnel, past, present and future, need our support. Yes, they aren't forced to enlist but it's a profession they choose to follow knowing full well the consequences could be severe in certain conditions. I applaud their bravery and heroism because I know for sure that it's not a job I could do.

Think I've managed to secure mine after the sell out hope it comes quickly.
A few weeks ago my DD came home with gcse english homework world war one poems.
Was a good learning experience for her and her class.

She choose :

Why Wear A Poppy by Don Crawford

"Please wear a poppy", the lady said,
And held one forth, but I shook my head
Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,
And her face was old and lined with care;

But beneath the scars the years had made
There remained a smile that refused to fade.
A boy came whistling down the street,
Bouncing along on carefree feet.

His smile was full of joy and fun,
"Lady" said he "may I have one?"
When she pinned it on, he turned to say:
"Why do we wear a poppy to-day?"

The lady smiled in her wistful way
And answered: "This is Remembrance Day,
`And the poppy there is a symbol for
The gallant men who died in the war. "

`And because they did, you and I are free
That's why we wear a poppy you see.
I had a boy about your size,
With golden hair and big blue eyes.

"He loved to play and jump and shout
Free as a bird, he would race about.
As the years went by, he learned and grew
And became a man - as you will too. " `He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile,
But he'd seemed with us such a little while
When war broke out and he went away.
I still remember his face that day.

"When he smiled at me and said good-bye.
'I'll be back soon, Mum, so please don't cry.'
But the war went on and he had to stay
And all l could do was wait and pray.

"His letters told us of the awful fight
(I can see at in my dreams at night),
With the tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire,
And the mines and the bullets, the bombs and the fire."

"That sure did sound like an awful fight,
But your son - did he come back alright?"
A tear rolled down each faded cheek;
She shook her head but didn't speak.

I slunk away in a sort of shame,
And if you were with me, you'd have done the same;
For our thanks, in giving is oft delayed,
Though our freedom was bought - and thousands paid!

And so, when we see a poppy worn,
Let us reflect on the burden borne
By those who gave very all
When asked to answer their country's call
That we at home in peace might live.
Then wear a poppy! - and give!

My daughter has said their teacher announced they will be doing a service Remembrance Service this week.

Profits

I nannot speak for QVC but I can confirm that Adrian Buckley will be donating his total revenue from the sale of the brooch to the RBL. :happy:

Hats off to Adrian for doing this. I managed to buy one and I'm happy that the money is going to such a good cause. It would have been nice if QVC could offer to donate the equivalent of the P&P too. Perhaps they should rethink the amount of the donation from their calendar.

And well done to that ebayer. Let's hope people read. Profiting at the cost of a charity is disgusting.

If you look at the completed listings on ebay, the brooch has sold for anything between £50 and £215. Not good is it? Even the ones listed now have really high starting prices. If all the money was going to the RBL then it's ok, but sadly most are not. The one that sold for £215 has 25% of the price going to the poppy appeal. Nice tidy little profit for the seller, but morally wrong IMO.

I got one from QVC, but you can order the exact same one from the Royal British Legion website. Not sure if it will arrive in time for this year, but will keep for future years of course. I am always losing the paper ones so hoping this will be more permanent!

I got one from QVC, but you can order the exact same one from the Royal British Legion website. Not sure if it will arrive in time for this year, but will keep for future years of course. I am always losing the paper ones so hoping this will be more permanent!

No it won't as it states that despatch will take place early December once further stocks have been received. I'm on the RBL waitlist and then at least I know that all of my money ends up in the right hands. I have no intention of adding to the greed of certain people, it's outrageous - it's been a long time since I felt so angry about something!

it's been a long time since I felt so angry about something!

I'm very angry about it too, BL. I sent a message to the ebayer who listed the above to congratulate them for taking this stance and have just received a lovely reply :

"Hello, thank you so much for your kindness. Im absolutely heart broken at how unscrupulous sellers can be. How long my listing will be allowed stay on I cannot say but at least my conscience is clear. Thank you once again for taking the time to write to me. With kindest regards"

The listing is still live at the moment.

I've tried ordering from the RBL website & due to insufficient stock, it won't go into my basket so I can't pre-order :down:. I'll just have to be more organised next year. Thanks everyone!

There were some still available on the Scottish RBL site last week - although they asked for a donation of £15.00.
I've been a volunteer 'poppy person' this year and there is a huge demand for all kinds of poppies - metal pins, larger poppies, wristbands, stickers etc. I think next year, the RBL will have to start supplying even more of them.

Think I've managed to secure mine after the sell out hope it comes quickly.
A few weeks ago my DD came home with gcse english homework world war one poems.
Was a good learning experience for her and her class.

She choose :

Why Wear A Poppy by Don Crawford

"Please wear a poppy", the lady said,
And held one forth, but I shook my head
Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,
And her face was old and lined with care;

But beneath the scars the years had made
There remained a smile that refused to fade.
A boy came whistling down the street,
Bouncing along on carefree feet.

His smile was full of joy and fun,
"Lady" said he "may I have one?"
When she pinned it on, he turned to say:
"Why do we wear a poppy to-day?"

The lady smiled in her wistful way
And answered: "This is Remembrance Day,
`And the poppy there is a symbol for
The gallant men who died in the war. "

`And because they did, you and I are free
That's why we wear a poppy you see.
I had a boy about your size,
With golden hair and big blue eyes.

"He loved to play and jump and shout
Free as a bird, he would race about.
As the years went by, he learned and grew
And became a man - as you will too. " `He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile,
But he'd seemed with us such a little while
When war broke out and he went away.
I still remember his face that day.

"When he smiled at me and said good-bye.
'I'll be back soon, Mum, so please don't cry.'
But the war went on and he had to stay
And all l could do was wait and pray.

"His letters told us of the awful fight
(I can see at in my dreams at night),
With the tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire,
And the mines and the bullets, the bombs and the fire."

"That sure did sound like an awful fight,
But your son - did he come back alright?"
A tear rolled down each faded cheek;
She shook her head but didn't speak.

I slunk away in a sort of shame,
And if you were with me, you'd have done the same;
For our thanks, in giving is oft delayed,
Though our freedom was bought - and thousands paid!

And so, when we see a poppy worn,
Let us reflect on the burden borne
By those who gave very all
When asked to answer their country's call
That we at home in peace might live.
Then wear a poppy! - and give!

My daughter has said their teacher announced they will be doing a asembly Remembrance Service this week.

The poppy brooch I luckly managed to get after the sell out hasn't arrived as yet, though I had an email this morning to say it's been dispatched.
My daughter has gone to school to do the Remembrance Service asembly this morning.
Luckly she'd got her own poppy Saturday whilst at the Trafford Centre at her friends birthday trip to the pictures.

:sun:

Latest posts

Back