please stop saying "for you" every few minutes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

catslovelycats

Registered Shopper
I don't watch QVC very much any more, but when I do occasionally turn on/channel hop I've noticed how presenters seem to slip in "for you" every few sentences.

They're all doing it and no matter what they're trying to sell. Have they been told that if they say "We've got this for you" or "let me explain for you" etc that we'll be more inclined to buy?

I find it really annoying. And I don't even watch very much! Am I just being an over-sensitive English teacher??!:confused:

My hubbie says this, eg "I've put my plate in the dishwasher for you".

No you haven't, you've put the plate in the dishwasher FULL STOP!!!

What about "less than"?

I don't watch QVC very much any more, but when I do occasionally turn on/channel hop I've noticed how presenters seem to slip in "for you" every few sentences.

They're all doing it and no matter what they're trying to sell. Have they been told that if they say "We've got this for you" or "let me explain for you" etc that we'll be more inclined to buy?

I find it really annoying. And I don't even watch very much! Am I just being an over-sensitive English teacher??!:confused:

If you are an English teacher, catslovelycats, you surely must be even more annoyed by the fact that none of the presenters seem to be familiar with English grammar, with their relentless "less than x items left now..." error, as opposed to the correct "fewer than x items..." I know it irritates the heck out of me :)

Alison Young is by far the worst presenter for this. It makes me laugh when she says "I'm wearing the light shade for you."
Gee thanks, Alison.

I've been watching less and less, too, catslovelycats. The repetition of annoying phrases being one of the reasons. JF's constant use of 'your item number is...' 'your price is...'. NO, no, no!!!!!!!!!! 'The item number is...' 'The price is....'. Or is my item number different from hers? Gggrrrrr.

Jill Franks just shouldn't be on the air. Not only is it bad grammer but surely it must be illegal to use amazing 5 times in one sentence. She thinks her entire audience are morons - if she had as many things in her make-up bag as she professes her bag would be the size of a small country. GET HER OFF QVC!!!

the expression that has me yelling at the screen is "different to" AAAGAH NO NO NO, it's different from Jill Franks is a big offender,but she is so dense I can almost forgive her.

Last edited:
'Amaaaayyyyyyzzzing' is getting right on my pips this afternoon. Not everything is amaaaaaayyyyyzzzing. Some things are fairly average to cruddy or plain bad. Some things are very nice to excellent. But not everything is amaaaayyyyzzzzing.

Hell's teeth I'm getting on my own tit ends now :nod:

I have to add for you that along with 'amaaaaayzing' is 'I love it' after every item.......arghh! I cannot believe she loves absolutely everything!

She also mentioned in this Gatineau hour that the studio is freezing and so wonder why she insists on wearing an off the shoulder Wilma Flintstone style outfit!
With all the winter clothing QVC has I'm sure there is a little Basso coat she could wear along with a little stiletto for you? :cheeky:

The phrase that drives me mad is "100 of you have jumped to the phones." How come it's always 100 and not 65 or 140 etc? And personally, when I make a call I walk over to the phone ....... I don't jump!!!

Am I doing this phoning malarkey incorrectly? Should I be more active when making a phone call? Or should I just keep F.A.R.T.ing? :thinking:

All shopping channels seem to now say that on-air items are "for you" and are "your" or "yours". The Sit-Up channels are terrible for doing this to try and generate a hysterical mad panic for people to rush and buy. Not to mention the "hundred or so people have jumped on the phones" (really?), and my personal favourite: "Well done for getting that!".

If only this happened in real life: "Well done for buying that loaf of bread! That was VERY well done!" :smirk:

I want to know how they know "100 people are on the phones for this..."

They could be on the phone complaining or having a chat with the call taker about the price of petrol in Uganda.

These kinds of mistakes are inforgivable...[!]

It must be a psychological ploy to make it feel personal to the viewer. Doesn't work on me mind you, always knew I was a bit peculiar..:confused:...now the rest of you do..ooer...:giggle:

I'd like to see them have a running total which shows the current stock levels updating live on the screen. They have this on some shopping channels in the US/Canada (it might only be on the TSV). It'd give complete transparency about stock levels and would save the presenter interrupting the presentation with stock warning, valid or otherwise. This info is available in the production gallery, how difficult would it be to show it on screen?

Can't see it ever happening.

Jude xx

I'd like to see them have a running total which shows the current stock levels updating live on the screen. They have this on some shopping channels in the US/Canada (it might only be on the TSV). It'd give complete transparency about stock levels and would save the presenter interrupting the presentation with stock warning, valid or otherwise. This info is available in the production gallery, how difficult would it be to show it on screen?

Can't see it ever happening.

Jude xx

The prob with that is if you see the stock very slowly dwindling would it make you less inclined to buy if you think it is not that popular? Another point is it would remove a whole gamut of blurb that the presenter relies on to pad the hour out, blah blah blah stock stock going going going blah blah blah blah . . . . . . . . :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

The prob with that is if you see the stock very slowly dwindling would it make you less inclined to buy if you think it is not that popular? Another point is it would remove a whole gamut of blurb that the presenter relies on to pad the hour out, blah blah blah stock stock going going going blah blah blah blah . . . . . . . . :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

I'm not fussed about things being "popular" or not: think about some of the horrors that regularly sell out that you really wouldn't be seen dead in!

And cutting the presenters' blurb may not be a bad idea - it might mean they get back to properly describing the items on sale instead of spouting inconsequential stuff like "It's amazing", "Celebrity Z has this", or "I have fourteen of these in every colour, but not my sister as she's a penniless chav and quite possibly a crack whore as well".

Or something. :smirk:

I remember QVC did actually do that for a short time. You could see how many had sold as it went down. No, it didn't make me want to jump to the phone. It would have broke with me landing on it for a start.

My biggest bug bears are 'the chest sizes are.....' We have BUSTS not chests!
& in the fashion ( I use that phrase lightly) hours, the uses of the words pant, boot & tight. I always thought these items were in the plural, I certainly never wear a boot, a pant or a tight!

I'm not fussed about things being "popular" or not: think about some of the horrors that regularly sell out that you really wouldn't be seen dead in!

And cutting the presenters' blurb may not be a bad idea - it might mean they get back to properly describing the items on sale instead of spouting inconsequential stuff like "It's amazing", "Celebrity Z has this", or "I have fourteen of these in every colour, but not my sister as she's a penniless chav and quite possibly a crack whore as well".

Or something. :smirk:

I'm not swayed either K, I either like something or I don't. People can be weak willed though, unfortunately, and they are preyed on. I do remember the traffic light system of coloured dots to show stock levels of "fashion" that Donna 255 mentioned, but they have not been used for a long, long time. Maybe too much hard work, especially as they needed two dots per pair of trousers sold :tongue:

Latest posts

Back