Advice on a Clasp!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sara

Registered Shopper
It's the newbie jewellery buyer here (again) wondering if any of you experienced jewellery ladies have any tips about what I can do re this problem!

Got a bracelet delivered yesterday, it is beautiful, I love it ..... the first time I tried it on I noticed the fold over clasp was very stiff/tight - I think I probably didn't close it properly, so I managed to get it off.
Tried it on again last evening and fastened the clasp with a click (and then couldn't undo it) - asked 23 year old son, who was home, and he couldn't undo it either.
After a long struggle I managed to get it, fastened, over my hand and off - still can't undo the clasp - even asked hubby (and I wanted to keep my purchase quiet! :disguise) but he had no luck either. (it doesn't budge at all - not even a teeny bit)

Is there anything I can do to loosen it (clasp has marcasite stones on it) - or is it just a fault?
It's looking like it will have to go back, fastened. :sad

I would email Katherine today Sara, she will tell you if they have a replacement and sort out your postage for you. If no replacement is available you can then decide if you like it enough to pay for the clasp to be replaced /fixed at a local jewellers, it shouldn't cost much. :spider:

Thanks ladies. :biggrin

Will get in touch with Katherine later - hope the matching necklace (which I got last evening) is going to be okay - did anyone notice Sarah struggled with it last evening and in the end didn't put it on her neck? (this is the amethyst and marcasite necklace)
Hmmm when that comes I'll try to fasten it BEFORE I put it on .... valuable lesson learnt! :lol

Thanks ladies. :biggrin

Will get in touch with Katherine later - hope the matching necklace (which I got last evening) is going to be okay - did anyone notice Sarah struggled with it last evening and in the end didn't put it on her neck? (this is the amethyst and marcasite necklace)
Hmmm when that comes I'll try to fasten it BEFORE I put it on .... valuable lesson learnt! :lol

So pleased you got the necklace but don't worry about the clasp, they probably had a stiff one in the studio ( Oooh Matron :3: ) but you will get a different one anyway.

BTW the 'clasp is stuck' routine is most useful when trying jewellery on in a shop. "Oh well I'll have to keep it then Dear!" Not that you'll ever need to set foot in a jewellery shop again! :4:

:eek: I would imagin you've just been unfortunate with that particular item.
I've never had one that would'nt open but what if you had'nt been able to slip it off still done up( i doubt if i could of cause my hands are really big ) as you said good idea to try clasps before putting them on your wrist or around your neck .
I like the clasps that have the rings and bar i find i can put them on and take them off on my own without having to wait for o.h to do it for me .

I've had exactly the same problem with a bracelet Sara and haven't decided yet whether to send it back or not.

:eek: I would imagin you've just been unfortunate with that particular item.
I've never had one that would'nt open but what if you had'nt been able to slip it off still done up( i doubt if i could of cause my hands are really big ) as you said good idea to try clasps before putting them on your wrist or around your neck .
I like the clasps that have the rings and bar i find i can put them on and take them off on my own without having to wait for o.h to do it for me .

It was a definite struggle to get it off and I don't know if you know the bracelet but it has some quite sharp pieces on it - it was a bit painful. :(
I love those T-bar fasteners have one on my pearl necklace - so simple.

I've had exactly the same problem with a bracelet Sara and haven't decided yet whether to send it back or not.

Oh dear, that's not good. It's not the same bracelet, is it?

I have a slight problem with a pair of earrings!

So far I have received 3 pairs, but have only taken 1 pair out the bag as they ask you to keep them in that if you want to return them. 2 pairs are not for me but the pair I did treat myself to have very tight butterfly backings! I know it make the earring more secure once it is on, but it was really difficult to get the butterfly off in the first place! I haven't tried taking the backing off yet while the earring is in my ear...I think it might prove tricky!

Thing is, they are quite delicate earrings and I feel the constant pulling and tugging each time I wear them will have a damaging effect on the item of jewellery. I love them though and am loath to return them...assuming I could as they have been tried on (minus the backing butterfly!)

Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
Hi Perdy!!! I got myself the ickle diamond earrings to use as nose studs, and when they were delivered to work, I decided to put them in my ears as I don't wear my nasal jewellry for work. I noticed that one of the backs was very tight, but didn't think too much of it, and popped them in my ear!

.......4 days later I haven't yet removed the ear rings because I can't get the ruddy back of the one in my right ear!!!!!!!

Not quite sure what to do as I can't and don't want to sent them back...they are really gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Hi Perdy!!! I got myself the ickle diamond earrings to use as nose studs, and when they were delivered to work, I decided to put them in my ears as I don't wear my nasal jewellry for work. I noticed that one of the backs was very tight, but didn't think too much of it, and popped them in my ear!

.......4 days later I haven't yet removed the ear rings because I can't get the ruddy back of the one in my right ear!!!!!!!

Not quite sure what to do as I can't and don't want to sent them back...they are really gorgeous!!!!!!!!

ooo ouch ooooo -I'm imagining if you'd got them stuck in your nose:eek:

Butterfly backs are quite easy to adjust, just by persuading the two little curls of gold apart a bit (or together if they're too loose) but NOT while you're wearing them! :)

I have already done that, Jantac....it still won't budge!!!!!!!!!

....have to say, I too am very thrilled that it isn't a butterfly up the nose scenario!!! Lol!!!

:) my iolite ones were the same so i took the backs of after a bit of a tug and swapped the backs for another pair i had spare and they seem fine now.If u both are having problems then email katherine etc im sre they would help so long as they know im sure yo could perhaps get them replaced as faulty

a butterfly up the nose scenario!!! Lol!!!

Could be worse...........

BE067704-Standard.jpg

:) my iolite ones were the same so i took the backs of after a bit of a tug and swapped the backs for another pair i had spare and they seem fine now.If u both are having problems then email katherine etc im sre they would help so long as they know im sure yo could perhaps get them replaced as faulty

My Iolite earrings are the same Marie and my diamond studs. I'll try fiddling with the backs but will probably end up doing the same as you and swapping them with others I've got. Don't think it could be classed as a fault, probably just Rocks being super cautious to try and ensure people don't lose them. I've got lots of "one of a pair" earrings as a result of backs not really being tight enough. :)

Latest posts

Back