Yankee Candles burning problem...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Anso

Registered Shopper
I love Yankee Candles and can never get enough of them, but sometimes they drive me mad...

Regarding large candles and tunnelling... what can you do about this please? I know all the rules... let wax melt out to edge before blowing out, trim wick etc. Yet with about every second large candle I light it NEVER wants to melt out to the side... even after like 6 hours of burning and starting with level/perfect wax surface (no draft affecting it). Is it just me...?

Burnt Happy Christmas yesterday and it melted out to the edge in about 4 hours and was very happy when I blew it out after about 6 hours. Today I'm burning Cinnamon & Sugar and it's been on for about 4 1/2 hours now but has not "made any progress" in the last 2 hours or so and still has a big ring next to the glass of unmelted wax (yet the surface was perfectly level when I lit it). I'm happy to leave it lit for another 2 hours or so but I don't think it will make any difference and it will only "use up" more of the melted wax in the middle (and never melt the "rim" around the side)... so it's kinda tunnelling as it's being burnt :(

Hope I'm explaining this ok...

Help please...?! I really don't know why this is happening to some candles and not others. How can I solve it before it gets worse please?

Thanks in advance :)

I love Yankee Candles and can never get enough of them, but sometimes they drive me mad...

Regarding large candles and tunnelling... what can you do about this please? I know all the rules... let wax melt out to edge before blowing out, trim wick etc. Yet with about every second large candle I light it NEVER wants to melt out to the side... even after like 6 hours of burning and starting with level/perfect wax surface (no draft affecting it). Is it just me...?

Burnt Happy Christmas yesterday and it melted out to the edge in about 4 hours and was very happy when I blew it out after about 6 hours. Today I'm burning Cinnamon & Sugar and it's been on for about 4 1/2 hours now but has not "made any progress" in the last 2 hours or so and still has a big ring next to the glass of unmelted wax (yet the surface was perfectly level when I lit it). I'm happy to leave it lit for another 2 hours or so but I don't think it will make any difference and it will only "use up" more of the melted wax in the middle (and never melt the "rim" around the side)... so it's kinda tunnelling as it's being burnt :(

Hope I'm explaining this ok...

Help please...?! I really don't know why this is happening to some candles and not others. How can I solve it before it gets worse please?

Thanks in advance :)

Ive had this with a couple of the large jars but Im afraid I cant give you any solutions, I just know once they've done it there's not a lot you can do about it. I even tried emailing YC in Americaland once and they werent much help either. TBH I dont bother with the big jars any more for just that reason, I stick to the tarts and votives, I know they say the jars are better value for money but if you do end up with a tunnel thats not the case is it.
Soz for not being much help. :confused:

I'm sorry,not much advice either - I only ever buy large candles and have never had the problem.When I start on a new candle,I just make sure I'm in "for the day" and then let it go all day.I do think they need more than the recommended time to reach the edges.

I've had this problem periodically and found some advice on Yankee Doodles FB page. Try using a shade (it seems to be working ok so far with mine) or wrap the jar with foil (not very pretty though). If all else fails I take out the tunnelled bits and burn them in a tart burner so non is wasted. HTH.

I've had this problem periodically and found some advice on Yankee Doodles FB page. Try using a shade (it seems to be working ok so far with mine) or wrap the jar with foil (not very pretty though). If all else fails I take out the tunnelled bits and burn them in a tart burner so non is wasted. HTH.

Ive done this with the bits in a burner when they've gone wonky too.

If you have a tunnelling candle, as I have many a time, wrap approx 3 layers of foil around the jar, folding over slighty at the top, when you get your desired wax pool, remove foil and burn as normal....

Also, your candle might not be making a wax pool if your room's quite chilly, or there is a draft, shades really do help, I use them all the time and they also help prevent sooting.

Hope this helps? Happy burning...:)

I usually get a knife or something like it and immediately after I blow the candle out, while the wax is soft I coax it all down from the sides to make a flat surface and start again the next day. It usually burns well after that. Be careful though, it's pretty hot still:talking:

If you have a tunnelling candle, as I have many a time, wrap approx 3 layers of foil around the jar, folding over slighty at the top, when you get your desired wax pool, remove foil and burn as normal....

Also, your candle might not be making a wax pool if your room's quite chilly, or there is a draft, shades really do help, I use them all the time and they also help prevent sooting.

Just got the foil out and wrapped it around. :) Let's see what happens....

I use the back of a table spoon to force the wax down into the melted part. gently and slowly and then I usually do not get a problem after that. I wait until the candle is about halfway down though before I do that. Sometimes it needs a couple of goes and then its ok.

I use the back of a table spoon to force the wax down into the melted part. gently and slowly and then I usually do not get a problem after that. I wait until the candle is about halfway down though before I do that. Sometimes it needs a couple of goes and then its ok.

Me too!! :up:

Rich

Well this kinda helped LOL! After about 2 hours in the foil the candle looked perfect so I removed the foil. But very quickly after this the wax nearest to the edges started to set and soon we had a 1 cm set ring around the outside again and the start of tunnelling :( No draft or specific cold room at all. *sigh*

Big thanks for the advice Athena! I get tunneling but it's because of draftiness and cold as well! (Says a lot about my home doesn't it?!)

Big big thanks for the tips on pressing down the soft wax to level out - sounds like a winner!

Please do not think I am being confrontational here :doh:... and love to read and learn tips on things..but what is the difference between this post ?? and my one a few weeks ago giving the tip from Yankee, on how you can burn the Yankee votives in tart burners, just remove the wick and cut them up :wink: My post was immediately added to the ~drop~ as it had nothing to do with qvc ?? :wonder:

daydreamer

Latest posts

Back