compare & contrast!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
I have turned away from QVC lately thinking I can get most of what they offer on the 'High Street' without paying the dreaded P&P costs.So today I found myself in a branch of Selfridges wanting my favoured foundation--BE Matt cost 8gm £24.On checking the QVC website they have the same £19;50 + £2:95 P&P total £22:45!

I have turned away from QVC lately thinking I can get most of what they offer on the 'High Street' without paying the dreaded P&P costs.So today I found myself in a branch of Selfridges wanting my favoured foundation--BE Matt cost 8gm £24.On checking the QVC website they have the same £19;50 + £2:95 P&P total £22:45!

They seem to set great store in having only a £1 or so difference, in fact I think they are proud of the fact!!!!!!!

They had a Shavata eyebrow set earlier and were making a big deal cos you could save a fiver buying it from QVC. Well actually, taking the p & p into account you only saved a couple of quid. Not such a big deal. So much for the 'huge buying power.' This is the same with many other brands - once you add the postage you aren't making much of a saving, but of course they don't factor in the postage when they're telling you how much you're saving.

They had a Shavata eyebrow set earlier and were making a big deal cos you could save a fiver buying it from QVC. Well actually, taking the p & p into account you only saved a couple of quid. Not such a big deal. So much for the 'huge buying power.' This is the same with many other brands - once you add the postage you aren't making much of a saving, but of course they don't factor in the postage when they're telling you how much you're saving.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they are saving us shoe leather, petrol, rail/bus/taxi/limo/rickshaw fares because we all go shopping and buy one item, don't we?

They had a Shavata eyebrow set earlier and were making a big deal cos you could save a fiver buying it from QVC. Well actually, taking the p & p into account you only saved a couple of quid. Not such a big deal. So much for the 'huge buying power.' This is the same with many other brands - once you add the postage you aren't making much of a saving, but of course they don't factor in the postage when they're telling you how much you're saving.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they are saving us shoe leather, petrol, rail/bus/taxi/limo/rickshaw fares because we all go shopping and buy one item, don't we?

I don't think they realise that sometimes its NICE to have a day out mooching round the shops!

I find QVC bargains in TK Maxx - they have Nails Inc at the moment but I have seen Ronnie Nicole, Lola Rose, Decleor.....There have not been many bargains at all - it is an expensive shop.

Forgot to say that on my 'shopping expedition' where I paid more for my BE foundation I discovered a Skechers shop in the Trafford Centre.Bought a pair of Skechers shoes from QVC some time ago which I love.Ordered another pair on a recent show, which didn,t fit --- cost to return.So now I can buy without P&P & cost of returning.Is this some indication of how my finances are structured? ( or not!)

I bought some CiD gel eyeliner, [you know the new range that QVC are showing], in House of Fraser for £21. I really hate it and it feels like tar. I cannot draw a straight line, it's awful. If I had bought it from QVC, at least I could have sent it back.
You are so right though, by the time you add the p&p there is not a very good saving, it's best to buy in the stores, and you can see the size too which QVC are occasionally quite reluctant to mention.

I bought some CiD gel eyeliner, [you know the new range that QVC are showing], in House of Fraser for £21. I really hate it and it feels like tar. I cannot draw a straight line, it's awful. If I had bought it from QVC, at least I could have sent it back.
You are so right though, by the time you add the p&p there is not a very good saving, it's best to buy in the stores, and you can see the size too which QVC are occasionally quite reluctant to mention.

That's so right about not telling us about sizes of things - except when you're getting a SOOOOOOOPERSIZE (L'Occitane), but generally you have to go on to the website to get a list of the mls of something, very annoying, particularly when the camera may be telling you that a tube's huge, when in fact it is miniscule and a tiny sample size. It's never (I don't think) shown on the price thingy either on screen!

That's so right about not telling us about sizes of things - except when you're getting a SOOOOOOOPERSIZE (L'Occitane), but generally you have to go on to the website to get a list of the mls of something, very annoying, particularly when the camera may be telling you that a tube's huge, when in fact it is miniscule and a tiny sample size. It's never (I don't think) shown on the price thingy either on screen!

years ago qvs used to always show the ml for ml now they are too busy informing us of their second homes/bathrooms/childrens careers than real info regardin the product.

years ago qvs used to always show the ml for ml now they are too busy informing us of their second homes/bathrooms/childrens careers than real info regardin the product.

I am going to the dreaded high street this Friday as it is pay day. Am really looking forward to it as will be meeting a friend for lunch and will have a nice browse in the shops as well as seeing the Christmas lights. No extra travel costs as have a monthly pass and will be able to see, touch and try on the things I buy. The 30 day MBG is excellent in regard to beauty stuff and i do like a bit of easy pay but other than that QVC is not offering me much these days.

I am going to the dreaded high street this Friday as it is pay day. Am really looking forward to it as will be meeting a friend for lunch and will have a nice browse in the shops as well as seeing the Christmas lights. No extra travel costs as have a monthly pass and will be able to see, touch and try on the things I buy. The 30 day MBG is excellent in regard to beauty stuff and i do like a bit of easy pay but other than that QVC is not offering me much these days.

I agree, my most recent purchases have mostly been beauty as I know I can return it if I really hate it/doesnt work etc, but most other stuff I still like buying elsewhere and like SS I enjoy a wander round the shops and living in the city I have access to pretty much every shop there is. If I fancy a perfume on QVC, ie L'Occitane, I still go into the shop to smell it first as I hate traipsing (sp?) to the post office to send stuff back.

At the moment I don't get out a lot, but on the odd occasion I've ventured into town I haven't enjoyed it one little bit. I loathe queuing with a passion and that seemed to be the over-riding factor of the trip plus it was freezing outside and boiling in the shops! Not a pleasurable experience!
I do just about all my shopping on the net and choosing carefully I very rarely have to return anything. Qvc has it's drawbacks but on the whole I love it and would miss it hugely if it vanished!

I don't think QVC has any buying power these days. I can find some products from ebay sellers at less than half QVC's price, all brand new and boxed etc. Fair enough, QVC have plenty of overheads to cover too but knowing that most of what you're paying there is their own markup makes me sick. If QVC really were able to sell stuff that cheaply surely they would?

I bought the Ojon Hydrating 3 piece collection from John Lewis yesterday for £25 BARGAIN , QVC with p&p added on want nearly £18 more on their website. QVC are a complete joke for things like this.

I bought the Ojon Hydrating 3 piece collection from John Lewis yesterday for £25 BARGAIN , QVC with p&p added on want nearly £18 more on their website. QVC are a complete joke for things like this.

That is quite a difference! Do JL extend their 'Never Knowingly Undersold' to websites including QVC? Of course they have to be identical items.I think they have but not sure, will stand corrected!
JL have many of the brands which QVC offer but maybe not to the extent.I have bought Ojon from JL as well as Liz Earle & Elemis.Unless QVC have a good offer ( TSV) I would prefer to buy on the High St.

about time john lewis had some ojon deals they are widly overpriced and would never buy ojon from them in the past.

Not The High Street but.....

I just logged on to rant about how overpriced QVC is for a lot of things. One I just found tonight was the Smashbox OGlow Lip plump which is £18+p&p on the Q, but I found it tonight for 8.95 & 3.45 p&p from an online shop.... A disgrace really!!

I think there are definately pros and cons.

Pros:

- Potentially a good saving with a TSV
- Nice to meet the owner/representitive of a companyto learn more about them (ie LE, Lola Rose)
- Wide range of products and can learn about new things on the market
- A lot of time is spent usually on one item, am more informed usually than just buying off the peg.
- Wide range of jewellry which is very, very good.
-Comfort of own home buying
- returns

Cons:

-P+P and returns P+P
- Can't touch until delievered
- isolated selling (selling one item at a time) means I am fooled into believing this is the 'one and only'. However shops I might think 'yeah, that's alright' and browse more easily.
- Sizes. L'Occitane is the WORST. Why do the small travel sizes look bigger than they are? That old goose of 'this size lasts me 2 weeks on holiday' means I think I'm getting more than I think. But had I have seen it in real life I wouldn't have bought it - totally unrealisitic!
- Shopping bags! Isn't it a nice feeling to have a nice carrier bag, like from Selfridges, feeling a million dollars and really important?
-Goods arriving 5-7 days later, nothing like immediate in your hands now.
-Also, hasn't the buzz gone after 5-7 working days? Not quite the same as 'why did I buy this'?

Latest posts

Back