QVC vs Ideal World

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

C

Ciociaria

Guest Shopper
Really bored tonight so flicked over to IW. I was surprised to see how informative the presentations are. It was quite refreshing (having just turned over from JF fawning over John Barrowman. Not that I would ever buy anything from IW (and the fashion was even worse than QVC's) but I found it quite entertaining.

i watch ideal world and think their tech shows are good and informative. Like the others i would not buy from IW.

i watch ideal world but i wont buy anything from them

This is a sad but true indictment. The money they are losing because of poor service and telephone operative problems must be immense. I enjoy their shows too, well some of them. Interesting to see Martha Stewart craft on yesterday when Q has it as well, though IW without male guest. If they lose Loen they may as well shut up shop.

:grin:Loen has me in stitches sometimes....(and herself!!)

Have been known to watch Ideal World just to watch Loen, bet she'd be fun at the christmas party, especialy after a few:glass:

In all seriousness - for all I moan about QVC, their CS runs rings round Ideal Worlds which is at best appalling.

QVC have a fairly impressive roster of brands and products - IW have very few brands and spend hours on just one product repeating themselves ad nauseum. Their beauty department in particular is woeful. There are only so many brands of steam cleaner they can flog...

BUT...

QVC's presenters for the most part are slick and professional, but with a rich sales patter. Ideal World's presenters don't take things quite as seriously - yes, they're sales people but there is more humour there. I think Loen is my favourite presenter on shopping tv bar none. Just a delight to watch. QVC make you think they're your friend - but they aren't. Ideal World are desperate for us to be their pals - and we're not...:wink:

if you're in the market for a cruise round the Bermuda Triangle with a bar'o'jade soap, a chiropody treat day out with your elderly aunt, a b'loon ride over a Peterborough car park or a slinky tent in puce, IW is the 1 for you!

The only stuff that used to remotely temp me on IW was the semi-precious stone and silver jewellery and carved angels that that german(?) hippy-type guy was selling, but I still didn't buy because I just don't have the secure feeling I get from the QVC purchasing process.

i have to say one thing in favour of qvc regarding postage ideal world have their call centre in india and take over a month to send things. also when you have a query you have to phone an 0870 number and they never unerstand you so the call costa bomb.:down:

Have to agree. Ringing IW is a total nightmare. At least QVC assistants speak English. My friend landed up throwing the phone across her lounge in sheer frustration at the operators at IW.

I have to REALLY REALLY want something to buy off IW & can't remember the last time I did that. It must be a couple of years now.

I think Ideal's presenters deserve medals for being able to sound so enthusiastic about one deadly dull product for hour after hour. Qvc's lot don't know how lucky they are.

Bought from IW and had no problems and once in a while, find myself amazed at some of the products they have which QVC don't do. For example the cake maker which was I have to say, very interesting. Presenters are amusing though and QVC are head and shoulders above everyone though unless you count Kathy Taylor :grin:

Almost tempted to buy from the Russian watches IW have once in a while. Those are really nice items having one already myself. If I didn't know the brands already I'd be cynical over the cost but they are good value relatively speaking for Russian watches.

Agree though, the general product range isn't that interesting on IW but a handy diversion.

I don't mind Ideal World. Problems - yes had one or two but they were sorted. Delivery - I ordered something from QVC on Tuesday 23rd - still waiting, order from Ideal World ordered same day, arrived this morning. Can't fault that. Presenters - I have my favourites on both shopping channels, some I really like, some make me cringe. Products - QVC have a much broader range but some of them are rubbish, as indeed are some products on IW.

We've gone back to IW here and have been ordering lately. Took a chance with their Flexipay scheme. I bought the silk duvet, which was much better value than the equivalent on QVC. Their product range is much narrower, granted, I do find the overall shopping process is much better than QVC. Presenters let guests have their say, they don't have to tell you stock levels/phone queues every 5 seconds, P&P is capped, Flexipay stays available beyond the show, refunds don't take forever etc. I love the lack of ego too - they're relaxed and prepared to laugh at themselves too, especially when things go wrong. I hate it when something interesting happens on QVC and you end up staring at a still life product shot, listening to the fun in the background.

The only downside is an overseas call centre. I don't want to sounds like a xenophobe and the people you speak too are wonderfully polite, but it's a nightmare trying to get things across to them. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure IW could eventually become as big as QVC. We use their website and it works better than QVCs. If you could take the best of IW and add it to the best of QVC, you'd have the ultimate shopping channel.

I've bought quite a bit over the years from IW, mainly jewellery and I've had some truly amazing bargains. A quarter carat diamond solitaire for £75 and a half carat ceylon sapphire and diamond bar ring for little over £120, also Moissanite used to be the cheapest anywhere. I don't know if they still have such good bargains.
I've never had a problem with CS, they've always been efficient.
Loen is hysterical and (runs and hides) I also find Moira really amusing, can't bear her stuff but she's so enthusiastic!!:bow:

Whoops! forget to mention QVC. Very professional and I honestly sometimes forget that they're a shopping channel. It was recently when i was scrolling through all the shopping channels, which I very rarely do, that it brought it home to me that really they're like all the others but a bit more polished.
I think very often we think of QVC as a programme rather than a shop, I know I do

Last edited:
Have to agree. Ringing IW is a total nightmare. At least QVC assistants speak English. My friend landed up throwing the phone across her lounge in sheer frustration at the operators at IW. I have to REALLY REALLY want something to buy off IW & can't remember the last time I did that. It must be a couple of years now.

We've gone back to IW here and have been ordering lately. Took a chance with their Flexipay scheme. I bought the silk duvet, which was much better value than the equivalent on QVC. Their product range is much narrower, granted, I do find the overall shopping process is much better than QVC. Presenters let guests have their say, they don't have to tell you stock levels/phone queues every 5 seconds, P&P is capped, Flexipay stays available beyond the show, refunds don't take forever etc. I love the lack of ego too - they're relaxed and prepared to laugh at themselves too, especially when things go wrong. I hate it when something interesting happens on QVC and you end up staring at a still life product shot, listening to the fun in the background.

The only downside is an overseas call centre. I don't want to sounds like a xenophobe and the people you speak too are wonderfully polite, but it's a nightmare trying to get things across to them. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure IW could eventually become as big as QVC. We use their website and it works better than QVCs. If you could take the best of IW and add it to the best of QVC, you'd have the ultimate shopping channel.

Haven't bought from IW for years because of the overseas call centre, plus the fact that you pay for the call. I can moan with the best of them about QVC's P & P, but the free calls have to be factored in there somewhere. I have the same prob with Virgin, ringing them is a last resort because I just can't understand a ****** word they say (tho at least it's a free call!)

I do wonder who decides on using overseas call centres!! Lets be honest here, good experiences with them (through no fault of the operators) are few and far between!! The language barrier is appauling at best and, as indicated here, puts people off buying - me included! IW have a truly awful CS!

I believe if more companies had decent CS over here they would get more sales, customers etc.

Rich

qvc/ideal world create and craft

Have to admit qvc is'nt holding my attention much at the moment.Infacr Create and craft have had some great bargains lately with only 2.99 p and p.In fact I bought a cricut bundle last week and saved over £70 quid compared to anywhere else AND on flexi pay with 2.99 p and p.Could'nt go wrong really.Joined their c and c club and already have saved a fair bit.Pity qvc could'nt have something like this for their crafting.
Have never really been tempted with Ideal world though.Have to admit that qvc has great cs and others could learn a lot from them.

Latest posts

Back