yogi replaced ghd

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

boffy

Registered Shopper
is this brand any good. i need some straigteners and was aondering if these were worth buying the tsv that is:wonder:

Well if the details on the website are correct then the straightners won't be very good, states the temp is 60C-120C, considering GHDs are 180C and many others on the market go up to 210C or 230C.

I have to say, the hairstylist tried to straighten the blonde model's naturally curly hair - it didn't straighten it well - she then tried to cover this up by clipping the hair up on one side.. Then this model disappeared! If I were you, maybe look at Babyliss straighteners, or if you're really rich, GHD's.. :bandit:

I wasn't impressed with the attempt at straightening the blonde model's hair either. Very convenient that the camera panned back to Jill and the guest presenter at that point!

i bought the yogi for my daughters unruly curly hair to CURL it.........she loves it....my other daughter loves my GHD's.....however i love them too BUT found that the 'wam' small curling tongs are quick to heat up......also straighten & given which ones i would give up from the 2 pairs i own i would happily give up my ghd's & keep a tight hold on my wams........ive even bought 2nd pair as back up.....hope that helps anyone

Last edited:
I see that the blonde model is back, Busy.. I bet her hair was straightened off air, maybe with hot ghd's, then bring her back on and run the Yogi through her hair! It wouldn't surprise me.. The Yogi straighteners don't seem to have the heat temperature to deal with all types of hair :bandit:

I've just bought my daughter Nicky Clarke 230 degree ones. Half price £39.99 on boots site, they're supposed to be fantastic:muscle:

I have the wand and I miss the old type tongs that hold your hair in place!! I keep trying them, but I just can't do it all, always end up burning myself and getting a stupid random curl due to the position I have to hold the wand in!! :sad:

thanks for your thoughts. dont you find that companies are now placing a lot of kudos on the packaging/boxes than the actual products?
even though i love l'occitane the last tsv was more promoted on its boxes rather than its content. just a thought!:mysmilie_852:

Just seen the straightener demo and from the look of the poor results - were they even switched on!?!? How JF managed to coo on about "oooh look how smooth and glossy it is" when the hair was clearly frizzy and not straight at all is beyond me.

The temp on the website doesn't seem to be very hot, considering most straighteners go up to 210-230 degrees max.

My GHDs blew up last year and I bought the Andrew Barton straighteners from Argos. On offer at the moment I think. Almost all full five star reviews and as good as the GHDs.

That Yogi demo didn't look good at all.

Well if the details on the website are correct then the straightners won't be very good, states the temp is 60C-120C, considering GHDs are 180C and many others on the market go up to 210C or 230C.

Just seen the straightener demo and from the look of the poor results - were they even switched on!?!? How JF managed to coo on about "oooh look how smooth and glossy it is" when the hair was clearly frizzy and not straight at all is beyond me.

The temp on the website doesn't seem to be very hot, considering most straighteners go up to 210-230 degrees max.

My GHDs blew up last year and I bought the Andrew Barton straighteners from Argos. On offer at the moment I think. Almost all full five star reviews and as good as the GHDs.

That Yogi demo didn't look good at all.

I've never used hair straighteners but I was thinking that a low temperature would be better to protect the hair and not burn it.

I didn't know that meant it would not straighten the hair at all !!!

Just caught a repeat show and he mentioned the straighteners go up to 210. May be worth a call to cust service if anyone wants to buy.

Personally I think you get what you pay for with straighteners. I've tried so many different types and nothing compares to my GHD's. The cheaper ones definitely don't seem to be able to straighten the hair as well as the GHD's or even keep it straight all day, like the GHD's do. Also the new GHD's with the rounded barrel you can curl your hair, (if you want to), the earlier versions it was harder to do so as it was more square. I also like the fact that I can take mine on holiday to the US as they've got a dual voltage, whereas in the past I had to buy a cheap crappy pair for holiday use and my hair always looked awful.

As already mentioned, the hotter they get the easier to straighten your hair, plus if you use a protective spray beforehand and get your hair regularly trimmed there's no reason why GHD's should damage your hair. If you do decide to go for the GHD's, shop around or wait til after Christmas as that's when the offers are about.

thanks for your thoughts. dont you find that companies are now placing a lot of kudos on the packaging/boxes than the actual products?
even though i love l'occitane the last tsv was more promoted on its boxes rather than its content. just a thought!:mysmilie_852:

That's very true:call:

Well I do love the wand for curling my hair, but I dont think I could give up my GHD's! IMHO they are the best hair straighteners and I've been through a fair few in my life! :grin:

Sticking my neck out here but I really can't understand the obsession with having straightened hair:doh: I know a few of you have mentioned curling your hair but it's very much the minority.
I just think that everyone looks the same. Graduated mid or long length hair ironed out to incredible smoothness with n'er a kink in sight, you look at a load of girls on a night out or in the workplace and THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME!:taphead:
We've got 3 daughters (and 4 sons) and our middle one at 26, has the most stunning, deep auburn wavy hair, curls in damp weather. Everyone comments on how beautiful it is and what does she do? Sits for hours straightening it!! Drives me mad!:headbang:
That said, she's getting married in June and she's having her hair curly:heart:
I guess it's a passing fashion but I'd much rather see a variety of styles.

Agree about the straight look...having poker straight hair naturally I've never seen the attraction but I did welcome the trend when it arrived as it meant I could stop trying to fight against nature curling my hair or shaggy perming it :puke:

My daughter has the same straight hair and has recently realised she can have an extra hour in bed if she doesn't straighten it before school every morning!

A hairdresser once straightened my hair and it was so flat to my head I hated it.

Jude xx

I wouldn't recommend buying hair straighteners with a maximum temperature below 210c, particularly if you want to straighten wavy or curly hair. Babyliss imo are a good cheaper alternative to GHD's.:wink:

I totally agree!!!

GHDs are actually only 180C and just don't work on my hair so I much prefer Babyliss.

I wouldn't recommend buying hair straighteners with a maximum temperature below 210c, particularly if you want to straighten wavy or curly hair. Babyliss imo are a good cheaper alternative to GHD's.:wink:

Latest posts

Back