Irritating product demos

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MsTrouble

Registered Shopper
What product demos past and present really get up your nose?

I cannot watch LE anymore as I have this dread that she is going to say that the Instant Boost Skin Tonic is like a fresh bouquet of flowers (always had a display in the background) and I wanted to thrash the television Basil Fawlty style with a large branch if I saw her cut an Aloe Vera plant again to squeeze out the juice! Arggggggh!
She hasn't done this for a while but the fear is still there!

Also cleaning products, especially degreasers where the demo is a cooker top covered in gravy browning trying to kid us that it is yuurs of baked on grease/chip fat!!
"Oh look how effortlessly this product removes 20 years of literal fry ups"

Hair styling products where you really can't achieve that 'just out of a Hollywood Salon' look without having a team of huurdressers to do it for you.

I am sure there are more :nod: so it's over to you!

Any of the vacuum cleaner ones where they randomly throw a load of crushed Hob Nobs over that set of little stairs and repeatedly hoover it up. And the Orek woman with the giant pair of scales (not seen that for a while).

Any cleaning products (as previously mentioned) where it's supposed to be "baked on" and clearly looks like a damp rag would have wiped it off anyway!

Lip products being applied...and applied...and applied...and applied...and applied over and over and over and over and......until the model's mouth is practically dripping in the stuff (whilst grinning inanely of course).

Demo-ing shower gel/soap on a puff with a bowl of water to show JUST HOW foamy it is is. SO WHAT?! I know how to use shower gel thanks!

Yankee Candles fragrances being described in ridiculous detail. No, I'm not going to be "transported to a wonderful lake, feeling the breeze on my face and the scent of the flowers on the breeze" - it's a bleedin candle.

What product demos past and present really get up your nose? I am sure there are more :nod: so it's over to you!

Oooh! MsTrouble, what a can of worms you have opened. To start with one that I did enjoy, cathartic or what? was the Karcher jetter on IW until the bloke said he was having sleepless nights worrying about the salt on our cars. Now there is a desperate selling point for you, salt no less and baggy eyes.

QVC ones are the personal products that look cheap, toothbrushes and hair removers of various types mainly. Then the Bose stuff :yawn: sorry techno people. Then any overexuberant (Furminator chap take a deep breath and the Nintendo blonde from IW) guests. Gardening stuff, and I like gardening, but it does not appeal and those wind spinners (overkill) are in B&Q.

I think my threshold for listening is very low now and I have the sound down 99.9% of the time.

The Genie ones with the same old models being dragged out time after time.
Ditto for the Freeze24/7 with Frankie and her dodgy eyebrow.

What product demos past and present really get up your nose?

the recent L'Occitane shows where they seemed to find it necessary to have 3 yes 3 models on at once ecstatically sniffing perfume they've sprayed on, give me a break! it was embarrassing to watch, i had to turn over!

oh jeeez

virtually all beauty products, they insult your intelligence so much it hurts the brain

Make-up demo's where they show the same model then claim her fantastic make-up was made solely by using 1 kit.....then say that for the next 6 kits as well. For a start they nearly always have foundation concealer and mascara on.
Oh and the before/after pics which are diff lighting and hair....
Oh and when the guests tell us that Amica (or whichever other model) always uses this product - cos they think we'll take that as if it were a recommendation from our best friend.
I actually do find the beauty demo's really irritating - yet I watch just about every one on.

demonstrating concealers when the models do not have dark circles...how useless

the recent L'Occitane shows where they seemed to find it necessary to have 3 yes 3 models on at once ecstatically sniffing perfume they've sprayed on, give me a break! it was embarrassing to watch, i had to turn over!

I think you mean Philosophy shows. L'Occitane don't bother using models but why Philosophy feel the need to have 3 I just don't know!!!

Last edited:
Keeley from Elemis..verbal diarrhoea and very unconvincing demos for her overpriced creams.Same pitch over and over and over again until we are bored into submission!

Slim N lift..ridiculous demos of women in ill fitting clothes having their rolls squeezed and their bums slapped,then miraculously transformed into perfect postured style icons by a pair of stretchy kex!

Jennifer fairie glitter gusting Kirk!!

Amica loving everything, everone,every colour, every style ,every cream,lotion and potion every day.

Anything demo'd by the actual literal resident beauty expert.

When Alexis bangs on about putting the tiny over-priced soaps in your "guest cloakroom" I'll have you know lady that my "guest cloakroom" is an understairs cupboard with a tongue and groove door and full of muddy footballs and shoes, not a loo in sight! and when La Earle says the words "plumping and firming" all the time while patting her hamster cheeks, it's so obvious that she thinks if she repeats the word "plumping" we'll all believe her:muscle:

"Before" pictures for hair products where it's obvious that the model's hair has been either messed up, flattened, or whatever, to make it look the exact opposite of what the product has supposedly achieved in the "after" picture.

All the mincy hairdressers who spray elasticer, volumiser, thickener, pesticide, insecticide etc onto the models hair to show immediate 'plumped' up results, when even a 3 year old can see the model has previously had rollers in, which gives it a ready made boost !

AND WHY are the same young and beautiful models used for their own particular brand of cosmetics ? and the same mature models used for the fillers and tighteners ?

AND I AM sick to death of seeing Tiffany advertising walk in baths, Plumbs covers, cruises every time I open a magazine. ARE THERE NO other models of a certain age out there ? No ? then I offer my services !!!!!!!

Rant over

The Ojon dry shampoo demo only ever done on a model with white or blonde hair because it would look like a snowstorm on a brunette.

The excellence of a product is proven by how thick it is ........"see the shea butter handcream on the back of my hand like a little turd?.........it must be good!"

Oh where to start. Firstly everything that's already been said especially the hair demos that only go to prove what a good blow dry can do irrespective of what product you use.
What bugs me is the way the guest presenters just repeat the same mantra about the product time after time.
Nina from Smashbox when presenting Halo, without exception says "If this was an imaginary clock turn the dial from twelve to one to reveal the freshest finest loose powder."
SJ from BE talking about the radiances "Adding luscious layers of light to the skin and making you look lit from within."
Denis from Ojon with tales of the rainforest.
Fiona from Decleor using the phrase "Renound in the industry."

The spraying of perfume around the room always makes me laugh because irrespective of whether it smells like cat's pee or not the presenter will go "mmmm that's lovely" and continue to spray the rest of the bottle on.
The description of the perfumes is bizzare , Robin from Philosophy is the worst at this, last week whilst describing the graces she described Baby Grace as when you want to be treated like a baby and Inner Grace as when you want some me time. Yes but what does it smell like!!!!

Keeley from Elemis..verbal diarrhoea and very unconvincing demos for her overpriced creams.Same pitch over and over and over again until we are bored into submission!.

There is something about Keeley I just don't like , She is imo from what I've seen and read very snooty about other beauty brands , 2 examples (the first has had the sentence "I use Liz Earle Exfoliator 4 times a week" deleted , Don't know why)

(1) Q. I'm 43 with what I think is normal skin. My main concern is little bumps under my skin on both cheeks. You can’t see them but I can feel them.

When they come closer to the surface I can see it's a blocked pore, which I have picked as I feel it's the only thing that gets them out, or should I give this more time. Is there another way as I hate leaving these small lumps as I feel if I don’t pick them they won’t come out. Many thanks.

A. Jane, firstly I don’t think that you should be exfoliating that many times and be using an exfoliating cloth you will be causing more problems on the skin. I would try introducing Tri Enzyme Wash morning and evening after cleansing, but make sure you always tone after. Then just twice a week exfoliate with Papaya Enzyme Peel then follow with Tri Enzyme Gel Mask.

So Keeley your mitts (3.6% rating) are better than Liz Earle Muslin Cloths (4.8% rating) , think Keeley needs to read the differing views between the 2 http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.227938.cm_scid.KeywordSearch vs http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.213002.cm_scid.KeywordSearch .

Then on her facebook page someone talks about the dcecleor cleanser

(2) not really liking the new cleanser keeley!!! prefer the sensitive wash or decleor cleanser n toner, sorry!! , Keeleys Reply Keeley Aydin- Elemis on QVC Jannette remember Tri enzyme wash goes after cleansing with any cleanser not before The melting cleansing gel does a differnt job on the skin so compliments pro radiance not in competition with it , we are offering you a choice of textur...es in cleansers now wash off , milks , creams , elemis is all about unique textures look at pro Collagen the first anti ageing product not to be thick and heavy ! The product that you may think is similar consists of 83% mineral oil and the rest water so quite different when you look at it closer , I appreciate not everyone will love it but after 6 months of testing on a wide range of concerns especially open pores and skin softening its been great * lecture over off to bed.

My personal opinion of course is that Liz Earle products have made my skin look and feel 10 times better and I know I can get a few LE products for say £100 if that was Elemis I'd be paying £100 for one product plus I hear the words Elemis and Heavily-Scented in the same sentence so I know I wouldn't touch Elemis with a bargepole as my face would come out looking red spotty and blotchy. Sorry about long post.

Cosmetics, before and after demos......"model" no make up, face like a fiddle, then lo and behold a full face of slap and a smile.....it works wonders!

Slimming knickers....very brave model obviously poured into a dress that's 3 sizes too small for her, then given a torniquet and the same dress in the right size....it also works wonders!

CD sets when they so helpfully work out how much each "track" is going to cost you, how much they LOVE 70's easy listening, fifties crooners,Beethoven, pan pipes etc..when you just KNOW what they're really thinking is....."well it ain't exactly Ministry of Sound, but then what do you expect at this price...might make good beer mats though!"

Smoothie makers/blenders.....so much better than shop bought, and you know what's going into it

And as somebody pointed out before.....Fake stains...yes a fresh solution of coffee grounds in water will come off with a wet paper towel every time!!!!