Ringed pearl rip-off?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

alibeth

Birdy
With apologies to those that love them but I think Honora are just raking it in with what are basically flawed pearls. I do not expect pearls to be absolutely perfect and I quite like the baroque shapes but I do want them to be as smooth and blemish free as possible. I think they've hit on a clever marketing ploy with these ringed ones, selling the ridges on the pearls as a plus rather than a minus. Just shown a strand for over £250, ok they were large but still defects in my opinion. I'd want a proper, unmarked pearl for my money.

I don't mind the ringred pearls but I wouldn't pay £250 for them.
mysmilie_55.gif

I like the rings, but I would never pay 250 for a ringed pearl necklace. Saying that I have not bought anything from honora for over a year now, but still enjoy my rather cheaper ringed pearl things I bought years ago with them/from them

I agree. I love pearls - baroque, pototo shaped, small or large, but I don't like ringed or keshi pearls - they just look plain weird to me.
I also dislike the bright colours like indigo, kiwi, etc.
Call me old-fashioned but a pearl should be smooth and a natural -ish colour - champagne, grey, black, white, pinkish or with apricot maybe some mauve. I don't like a mismatch of brightly coloured pearls either. Some of these necklaces look like metal.
I'd rather have less pearl in silver.
Sorry Ralph - he does go on doesn't he.

The ringed pearls are obviously v popular with customers. I personally really like them - horses for courses I suppose. I like them because it shows they are real - nobody could fake them as every one is different. You can get some amazing fakes, sorry in QVC talk that's 'faux'! If I had £250 to spend though I wouldn't buy ringed pearls.

I have a lot of Honora but nothing has grabbed me today - just as well as I'm supposed to be being good!

i have the really long black ring pearls ( not honora ) that have a silver shortner and come in a lovely silk handbag.

i think they have a lot of character. i cannot afford perfect pearls and to be honest i dont think i would pay the many thousands they can cost!

With apologies to those that love them but I think Honora are just raking it in with what are basically flawed pearls. I do not expect pearls to be absolutely perfect and I quite like the baroque shapes but I do want them to be as smooth and blemish free as possible. I think they've hit on a clever marketing ploy with these ringed ones, selling the ridges on the pearls as a plus rather than a minus. Just shown a strand for over £250, ok they were large but still defects in my opinion. I'd want a proper, unmarked pearl for my money.

They're hideous IMO BUT what do you expect for £40 (today's TSV)?! Blemish free pearls cost thousands. One thing I'm slightly miffed about is, Ralph keep harping on about them being in the top 3%. NO THEY'RE NOT!! WHAT A LIE!! Mikimoto ONLY use the top 3% and their pearls are beautiful and blemish free.

PS if you love pearls, this is a really interesting read about how they all started...

http://kokichi.mikimoto.com/en/

Last edited:

Could not agree more, but with pearls being more fashionable today especially with younger ladies I suppose they have to cater for all budgets. I have bought several pearl items from an on line retailer, some fashion in silver, some more expensive pieces set n 14ct gold and the quality is far superior to Honora, and might i add very competitively priced.

Just thought I would mention, when ever a T-caller asks Ralph how to clean them he always says "they should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off" which is true, but I think they mean how do you you clean the silver without damaging the pearls!! IMO quality pearls should only be set yellow/white gold and platinum.

I have to be honest, I had never seen pearls like these until QVC.
Obviously I realise now they are real pearls from watching QVC, but If I hadn't watched QVC, and seen someone wearing them I wouldn't have thought they were real........
My god that sounds like a bit of a mouthful.........but u know where i'm coming from......
I HOPE...
is it :glass: time yet?

They're hideous IMO BUT what do you expect for £40 (today's TSV)?! Blemish free pearls cost thousands. One thing I'm slightly miffed about is, Ralph keep harping on about them being in the top 3%. NO THEY'RE NOT!! WHAT A LIE!! Mikimoto ONLY use the top 3% and their pearls are beautiful and blemish free.

PS if you love pearls, this is a really interesting read about how they all started...

http://kokichi.mikimoto.com/en/

these pearls are japanese pearls and qvc have sold japanese pearls in the past.

ralphs pearls are chinese freswater pearls.

i dont like the coloured pearls at all but they showed some jet black ones that i would like at some point.

Could not agree more, but with pearls being more fashionable today especially with younger ladies I suppose they have to cater for all budgets. I have bought several pearl items from an on line retailer, some fashion in silver, some more expensive pieces set n 14ct gold and the quality is far superior to Honora, and might i add very competitively priced.

Just thought I would mention, when ever a T-caller asks Ralph how to clean them he always says "they should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off" which is true, but I think they mean how do you you clean the silver without damaging the pearls!! IMO quality pearls should only be set yellow/white gold and platinum.

Would you mind posting the link if that was OK with you?

Sounds like Ralph has been reading our posts as he has just mentioned that he knows not everyone likes ringed pearls but prefers smooth umbleshed ones.

gosh they'll be asking us about the state of the nation next.

do you think that qvc should give us a fee or do an annual party for us forumites lol!:clapping:

I loooove pearls and at the moment I believe that
TJC's can't be beaten for value.
Yes I've had some iffy ones and returned them but I've also had some great ones.
I have bought Honora in the past but their prices for their odd shapes are wayyy too high for me.
Their ring pearls over a £100 a strand are taking the proverbial.

Latest posts

Back